Apple and Samsung help drive global smartphone shipments to record 700M units in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, there's something that Cook and company can figure out...

... how to get more of Samsung's customers.

There must be quite a few top end customers that Apple can win over.

The question is "how?".

Sign up China Mobile.  It's pretty simple.  They got T-Mobile signed up which was a BIG Samsung reseller, but they aren't that big overall.

You have to realize that Samsung didn't sell many SIII's compared to the iPhone 5.  35 Mil vs about 50 Mil all combined from the various quarters.

The Note and Note II are small potatoes.  The SIII mini I don't know how many they sold.

The rest of the lineup is all very cheap phones, some are running Android 2.3.  Samsung is also in more countries and in more carriers, but the BIGGEST deal Apple could do it sign up China Mobile, they represent almost 800 MIllion users, but they are not on a 4G/LTE system, they are on an older proprietary system and they are supposed to be going to something similar, but still propietary to 4G/LTE, but both parties have indicated they want to do a deal. MY GUT feeling is probably sometime between June and Sept we MIGHT hear something.

The other flip of the coin is Apple goes after profitable business that brings in more to the bottom line, Samsung, as a company, only did $8BIl in Net Profits last quarter and they have their appliances, TV, telecom, components, mobile, computers, and whatever else those guys do, but Apple is doing just fine.  Remember, Apple has to get Foxconn and all of the component players to be able to ramp up to handle building $200+ Million phones in a year, which they are doing but just them time, they have been switching over away from Samsung for many components, they are planning on investing $9 Bil in chip mfg, TMSC is planning on investing another $9 Bil in chip mfg to handle more Apple business.  Samsung is actually reducing their investments in chip mfg during this year.  

I wouldn't worry, most of the Android business is low margin, no profit business and their user base doesn't spend much on content, apps, third party stuff, etc., but there is STILL a LOT of demand for Apple products in China from what i hear, it's just the next BIG market for Apple and over the course of the next few years, Apple should double their business, if not more than that.

What I like hearing is the big deals and increased business in the corporate and government world, which is typically not a strength in the past for Apple, but if they get more and more large deployments in those two areas, they'll do just fine.

Slow and steady is their course.  They can only ratchet up their business so fast.  Samsung was really trying to go after Nokia and on the side do what they can to compete against Apple, because they for some reason want to own the entire Smartphone industry, which just won't happen.  I think Samsung should be more worried about Google and their Motorola unit taking business away from them.  Which will probably further confuse the Android market.

Either way, don't worry.

• Reply 22 of 48
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Awesome.  Why should I, as a shareholder of neither company, care?

Apples next advert.

The new iPhone.  Now with more profit.

All I can say is that Apple stock is DIRT CHEAP. Trading at a P/E of 10!!   It's undervalued.  Google is trading at a P/E of 22, overvalued.

Here is an interesting way to look at Google.  Google stock has about 300 Million shares, Apple has about 900 Million.  Now, if you dilute Google, then you divide the stock by 3 and come up with a comparable share price of $250 a share for Google and $450 a share for Apple. The EPS for Google would then be $11 a share, Apple would be at $44 a share.  Google is STILL trading at the same P/E of around 22, which is overvalued, Apple would be trading at a P/E of 10, undervalued.  Then Apple pays dividends, which Google doesn't.  Apple made, after dividends, $13 Bil last quarter, Google w/o taking a $350 Mil hit for Motorola Mobility loss, only made about $2.5 Bil in cash.

Apple stock price is just getting hit because of the flat earnings per share and the fact that these people in the media can't explain things to people very well in that Apple earnings reflect paying $3BIl in dividends whereas last year, they didn't.  Now, Apple doesn't have a demand problem, they have a supply problem, which is getting worked out.  They also didn't get the iPad minis shipping until Dec in Asia, they also didn't get the iPad mini w/cellular shipping until this month, and they didn't release the iPhone 5 in Asia until last month, and the iMacs are still dealing with production issues which have to get worked out.

I think the next couple of years should be big for Apple as far as I can tell.  I think bringing back Mac mini and other Mac desktops being made in the US is a good move and that frees up production lines in China for other products.

Personally, what Apple is doing and the amount they are growing, I honestly don't know how they do it.  I remember back in the days when they made $500 Mil in profit was a BIG deal, now that's a less than a week's worth of net profit

But as Tim announced, LOTS of investment in new Apple Stores in China and other locations HUGE investments in chip building plants.

I am VERY interested to see what their new ARM chip designs are going to do.   

• Reply 23 of 48
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Haha, in most European markets Samsung has been running a two for one promotion for over a year. 

Which countries? Is that on off-contract phones or subsidised phones? Got a link? I haven't seen any offers like that in the UK.

• Reply 24 of 48

Is it means Apple will produce the colorful iPhone in 2013?

Why Apple do that, so crazy!

• Reply 25 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What an assinine and sensational headline, that means jack. Nokia shipped almost nothing, so "Apple and Nokia combined" is just used to add drama. Yes, Samsung shipped more phones than Apple, because Apple only produces high end phones, and Samsung has like 45,205 phone models and a shitload of pay as you go and dirt cheap junk. If Apple wanted to, they could make a $100 if they wanted to. But clealry they don't, and they shouldn't. But glad to see AppleInsider consistent with the anti-Apple trolling. I'm wondering what site I can go to that isn't negative headline after negative headline, every single day? Clearly even the Apple fansites have a fetish for mindlessly shitting on Apple as much as they can. 

Also, I'm sure Samsung, a South Korean company, is giddy at how US media has been shitting on their own US company and rooting for Samsung instead. It's nauseating. 

Needed to be said
  • Reply 26 of 48
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    512ke wrote: »
    Wow, this headline exists to inflame not to inform.  Sheesh.  This is the end of my visiting Appleinsider on a daily basis.

The tone of AI has become too hyped up, distorted and anti-apple for my taste.

Kindle Fire blows past iPads to destroy them over Christmas!  iPhone 5 demand falls by 50%! 

I get it.  Misleading Applebashing headlines gets eyeballs, and this is a business, with the goals of disparaging Apple these days and attracting viewers to increase ad revenue.

Anyone have suggestions for more rational, balanced and accurate sites to follow and discuss Apple?  

Macrumors?  The Mac Observer?  Isn't there a French site that offers a less sensationalistic approach?  Thanks.

AI has been mixed. Dilger has been trying to do some rational correction, but there have also been some shameless pandering pieces—pandering to sensation, that is.

I've been thinking of going elsewhere, but where? Macrumors is a mess.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    512ke wrote: »
    Wow, this headline exists to inflame not to inform.  Sheesh.  This is the end of my visiting Appleinsider on a daily basis.

The tone of AI has become too hyped up, distorted and anti-apple for my taste.

Kindle Fire blows past iPads to destroy them over Christmas!  iPhone 5 demand falls by 50%! 

I get it.  Misleading Applebashing headlines gets eyeballs, and this is a business, with the goals of disparaging Apple these days and attracting viewers to increase ad revenue.

Anyone have suggestions for more rational, balanced and accurate sites to follow and discuss Apple?  

Macrumors?  The Mac Observer?  Isn't there a French site that offers a less sensationalistic approach?  Thanks.
    MacRumors? About as anti-Apple as you can get these days. Not the headlines per say, but the posts are definitely skewed negative,
  • Reply 28 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Didn't I just read that Apple sold more smartphones in the latest quarter than all Android device makers combined?

No sir.

• Reply 29 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by taosbob View Post

Not sure why we sure should believe *any* figures concerning their phones when Samsung refuses to release official numbers, as Apple did yesterday. Analysts are free to put out just about any staistics, with no legal consequences.

well, we do know some stuff. they occasionally release numbers of their flagship models...

Galaxy s2 - 40 million in 20 months

Galaxy s3 - 30 million in 7 months

Galaxy note - 10 million in 6 months

Galaxy note 2 - 5 million in 3 months

That is 85 million in a 20 month span.

For comparison In that same 20 month span, Apple sold 190 million iPhones.

Samsung also recently announced that the galaxy line has passed 100 million units sold. The first Galaxy was sold in June of 2009, so these sales were over a span of about 42 months.

In the same time frame, Apple sold 290 million iPhones.

Samsung may have the most market share, but they are winning it on the low-end.

• Reply 31 of 48
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Didn't I just read that Apple sold more smartphones in the latest quarter than all Android device makers combined?

Do you mean at Verizon and AT&T in the US?

Yes sir!

• Reply 32 of 48
    Damn... Nokia is in 3rd place.... I feel bad for 4th, 5th, 6th place and so on.

Not that it's a contest or anything... but damn...

Samsung and Apple are definitely forces to be reckoned with.

There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get.

http://gizmodo.com/5416781/top-5-assclown-iphone-quotes-in-2007
  • Reply 33 of 48
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item.

"I like our strategy, I like it a lot"

Of course, that was years ago.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Others = 40%

Two ways to look at this:

1. Someone will emerge from the "others" category to take a run at surpassing the two gorillas. Hello Huawei?

2. Samsung and Apple will keep growing at expense of others, which means someone will soon fall off the table altogether. No matter who you root for, that is still sad.

Some might argue that there is a 3rd scenario - this is not a zero-sum game and everyone can grow together. But I seriously doubt the proportions will stay as they are. A year from now, I surmise, one of the top 3 names in the table will change. There will also be at least one notable casualty from the current "others" group.

• Reply 35 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get.

http://gizmodo.com/5416781/top-5-assclown-iphone-quotes-in-2007

Apple could mop up the market floor with a $199 iPhone 4 variant. but they won't do it because they don't care for market share, they want money. in other words, they are right where the want to be. which is not where analysts want them to be.

• Reply 36 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Well, there's something that Cook and company can figure out...

... how to get more of Samsung's customers.

There must be quite a few top end customers that Apple can win over.

The question is "how?".

a) big screen

b) ads for those stupid and insecure people that think that bigger screen or more cores = better phone.

• Reply 37 of 48

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Apple could mop up the market floor with a $199 iPhone 4 variant.

No, this wouldn't happen. It would still be too expensive.

• Reply 38 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

a) big screen

b) ads for those stupid and insecure people that think that bigger screen or more cores = better phone.

Don't be silly.

• Reply 39 of 48
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Samsung may have the most market share, but they are winning it on the low-end.

If using numbers dating back to 2009, then yes, that was true back then.  However, buying trends have changed a lot in the past three years.

Using just second half of 2012 numbers, it looks like ~40% of Samsung's smartphone sales have been of their latest high end phone (GS3).   Even higher if you count the Note as well.

See post here.

• Reply 40 of 48
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted