Microsoft quarterly results reflect troubled PC market, middling Windows 8 launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48

Quote:Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

<...>

????

• Reply 22 of 48
    alfiejr wrote: »
    this kid glove coverage of MS compared to the hysterical trashing of Apple ... how can they keep a straight face?

It's no different than people who expect Apple to reinvent something magical every year, as if on schedule, while holding no other company accountable to the same expectation. Certainly not MSFT.
  • Reply 23 of 48

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Hey, look, it's the original Surface's prototype!

Didn't work very well mounted on the wall. And being as large as the floorspace of an entire room.

• Reply 24 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is a very good idea!

Add new [reimplemented] versions of Office and other MS apps for the new OS.  This would satisfy most home/personal needs.

In their new OS, MS should allow efficient emulation of legacy Windows OSes -- just like Mac OS X can run Windows, etc. with Parallels, etc.

This would ease the transition for enterprise/SMB users who have apps/procedures that require legacy Windows.

Developers would be incented to update legacy apps to state-of-the-art hardware and OS -- and make additional sales.

The biggest problem would be legacy apps (developed in-house or by 3rd-parties) where the code/developer is no longer available...  These situations would require longer to migrate or obsolete/replace.

Something like:

1. release the New Intel OS, say, for $29

2. release the New ARM OS, say, for $5

3. emulate valid copies of legacy Windows XP, 7, 8

4. announce now new features to legacy Windows -- just maintenance

Exactly, and force people to upgrade. At first, those that for some reason do not like it, would buy/stick to win7, there's no other option for the traditional user. Then, Microsoft should just push forward with it, what can the Adobe or IT departments and even OEMs of this world do?

That way, everybody wins.

• Reply 25 of 48
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

funny how none of the press/web reports bothered to mention that MS was able to ship - not final consumer sales - 60 million W8 licenses only thanks to huge launch period price discounts of 35% to 75% depending on what kind of upgrade you bought. i'd bet this also included initial price incentive deals of some kind for the OEM's, so they 'banked' them.

I just ugraded an XP machine to Win8.  The downloaded version is currently $40, MS claims the regular price will be $240 so that amounts to 83% off.

Win8 is certainly different than Win7.  I use 7 at work and since we just upgraded from XP I doubt that I will ever have Win8 at work.  I don't have an opinion on whether 8 is better or worse than 7 but it is going to be a challenge using two different operating systems, three and 1/2 counting IOS and the rare times my daughter lets me use her Air.

• Reply 26 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Yet another company that refuses to release the sales figures for their tablet.

Why? Because it is a complete failure, a flop and a joke, that's why. MSFT is up today, needless to say.

• Reply 27 of 48
    Its amazing how a company does really well and somehow that is an admission of failure. When did technology become politics where only one side can win. When ALL tech companies do well, its good for the industry as a whole (and us for that matter...the consumer). I think the one thing most myopic contributors do not understand about Microsoft is, they are not a one trick pony. Look their entire product portfolio, various Windows OS's, Server OS's, Office, Cloud offerings, Server products, XBOX, etc....I really do not get how people come to the conclusion that Microsoft has somehow failed (and usually only because they are MS haters).
  • Reply 28 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockydog View Post

I really do not get how people come to the conclusion that Microsoft has somehow failed (and usually only because they are MS haters).

Just to clarify, I think that their tablet is a failure. My statement was not about MS or the company, but rather, about their tablet. 

• Reply 29 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockydog View Post

Its amazing how a company does really well and somehow that is an admission of failure. When did technology become politics where only one side can win. When ALL tech companies do well, its good for the industry as a whole (and us for that matter...the consumer). I think the one thing most myopic contributors do not understand about Microsoft is, they are not a one trick pony. Look their entire product portfolio, various Windows OS's, Server OS's, Office, Cloud offerings, Server products, XBOX, etc....I really do not get how people come to the conclusion that Microsoft has somehow failed (and usually only because they are MS haters).

Who said that? and yes they are a one trick poney right now. "we do everything worse, but cheaper-and-change-is-not-necessary-let's-live-in-the-past sort of strategy". 

• Reply 30 of 48
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    The surface took that long to sell a million units. The iPad sells that many in 1 weekend. They call that good? That's another Zune failure if you ask me. If you bought one you better return it because in 6 months Microsoft will shutdown production and support for it anyways just like the Zune.
  • Reply 31 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just to clarify, I think that their tablet is a failure. My statement was not about MS or the company, but rather, about their tablet. 

It's still too early to tell. MS has deep pockets and will have more hardware coming out. In time, more people will have MS tablets, and maybe a lot of people will use it.

MS needs to fix Win 8. I put it on my MacBook and I got very frustrated with the navigation. I like the OS, but they need better visual cues for navigation. Or make it easier to navigate. There is a tool out there that will turn off the new interface and give you the Win 7-like desktop.

• Reply 32 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The gradual slide into irrelevance continues. 

Wasn't really all that gradual. As far as continuing, I think they are already pretty close to the bottom of the slope.

• Reply 33 of 48

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

If you bought one you better return it because in 6 months Microsoft will shutdown production and support for it anyways just like the Zune.

Windows XP has support until 2014. So does the port VGA (not Microsoft-related in any respect, but it infuriates me every time I think about it). 

So support for the Surface won't be an issue, even when it's prematurely discontinued. Like the Kin!

• Reply 34 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Windows XP has support until 2014. So does the port VGA (not Microsoft-related in any respect, but it infuriates me every time I think about it). 

So support for the Surface won't be an issue, even when it's prematurely discontinued. Like the Kin!

your definition of support is strange.

Say that to lumia buyers.

• Reply 35 of 48
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 36 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

I hear "downgrading" is all the rage now.  All the cool IT kids are doing it:

• Reply 37 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

I like windows 7. It works well for me. I was given a free windows 8 key and I refuse to install it because it is one of the worst operating systems I have seen (for desktop)

It seems without a touch interface Windows 8 on a desktop is a bit hit and miss, changing things just for change sake rather than improving user experience or productivity. But that is nothing compared to Windows Server 2012 - can somebody please explain why you need the Metro interface on a server?

• Reply 38 of 48
    scartart wrote: »
    It seems without a touch interface Windows 8 on a desktop is a bit hit and miss, changing things just for change sake rather than improving user experience or productivity. But that is nothing compared to Windows Server 2012 - can somebody please explain why you need the Metro interface on a server?

Don't consumers run their data centers on tablets? /s
  • Reply 39 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

That's so no good Microsoft customer can go unpunished.

• Reply 40 of 48
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    I hear "downgrading" is all the rage now.  All the cool IT kids are doing it

Hmm, $125 That is actually enticing! (gotta love the Apple sticker there as well)
    scartart wrote: »
    can somebody please explain why you need the Metro interface on a server?

They did that? For this, I need to quote someone's signature on this forum:
    "Windows7 - A 64-bit memory extension plugin for a 32 bit graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company owned by a man with not 1 bit of common sense."

That sound rather harsh, infuriating. Can't you just, like, ignore it?
    pfisher wrote: »
    It's still too early to tell. MS has deep pockets and will have more hardware coming out. In time, more people will have MS tablets, and maybe a lot of people will use it.

MS needs to fix Win 8. I put it on my MacBook and I got very frustrated with the navigation. I like the OS, but they need better visual cues for navigation. Or make it easier to navigate. There is a tool out there that will turn off the new interface and give you the Win 7-like desktop.

I installed Wait (leet for W8) last month on a bootcamp partition and found out I was too inpatient to find out how to get rid of that Touch Tile interface that pops up after booting up. So I just hit/stroke my keyboard in aggravation and voila, there was an option to enter the /Run/ field and I could simply type 'Explorer' and I was 'back into old school Windows terrain'.

Man, what a drag. I just faltered for wanting to learn how W8 works.

And just the other day I got an email from MS telling me my 90 day evaluation period was over. Ooh, happy mail; I can now delete that 20GB partition from my SSD. Props MS - you rule¡