Apple's market cap dips below Exxon as stock selloff continues

Comments

• Reply 81 of 167
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tablets aren't laptops. They're also not desktops. But they're the successor to both.

You ask saying that tablets are going to REPLACE both desktops and laptops? Oh.... my..... word. And yes tablet have become laptops for many people. They even have set ups with physical keyboards that make them essentially the same thing. It is also has features like minimal ports like the Air and no optical drive. The Air and the iPad are very much in the same range and are getting closer all the time.

• Reply 82 of 167
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 83 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I actually ended up just increasing my INTC holdings for now. I'll revisit AAPL when it shows a bit more stability.

That's funny! I sold my INTC today to buy some more AAPL...

I am sure one of us will be right!image

• Reply 84 of 167
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Isn't this just panic selling right now? At what point does it become ridiculous?

It's only ridiculous to sell when no one else is doing it.
  • Reply 85 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I believe the MacBook Air was introduced in 2008.

Yes, it was. What I said was that the Air replaced the white MacBook in 2011 which is true.

• Reply 86 of 167
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155641/apples-market-cap-dips-below-exxon-as-stock-selloff-continues#post_2264784"]No, my last trade was last week, I bought in at 499.9999, and I sold right before the close on earnings day for around 514.

I haven't touched AAPL since earnings day, and I don't have any immediate plans. AAPL needs to prove itself to me, before I put my cash on the line.

So your trash talk about Apple has nothing to do with the facts, you just want to talk down the price so you can make a few bucks. Good for you. Now we know what you are, we're just haggling on the amount. There's a word for people like you.
  • Reply 87 of 167
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    That's funny! I sold my INTC today to buy some more AAPL...

I am sure one of us will be right!:D

lol, I did it mainly for the upcoming dividend.

However, based on what I've read of haswell, I am confident that intel will be able to solve the ARM problem. Whether or not they execute it well will be another story.
  • Reply 88 of 167

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

You ask saying that tablets are going to REPLACE both desktops and laptops?

Of course. Why wouldn't they? They've already replaced laptops for some people. Now they just have to get bigger.

And yes tablet have become laptops for many people.

Replaced.

They even have set ups with physical keyboards that make them essentially the same thing.

That's not replacing, that's simulating. It helps to ease the transition, but they're not the same thing simply because they're being used in the same situations. Tablets are laptop successors, and they'll become desktop successors.

Would you like to know why it's being deleted? You're trolling. You've been given answers, multiple times, in other threads. You refuse to acknowledge them, and so now you're just spamming the same crap everywhere because you want only what you want to hear. Knock it off.

• Reply 89 of 167
    T
    majjo wrote: »
    lol, I did it mainly for the upcoming dividend.

However, based on what I've read of haswell, I am confident that intel will be able to solve the ARM problem. Whether or not they execute it well will be another story.

I think their longer term problem is the declining PC market, and struggles with mobile devices.
  • Reply 90 of 167
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    pik80 wrote: »
    You ask saying that tablets are going to REPLACE both desktops and laptops? Oh.... my..... word. And yes tablet have become laptops for many people. They even have set ups with physical keyboards that make them essentially the same thing. It is also has features like minimal ports like the Air and no optical drive. The Air and the iPad are very much in the same range and are getting closer all the time.

Funny, I didn't see the word "replace" in his response. Successor means to overtake the place of, meaning that tablet devices will one day outnumber desktop computing. Your love of old technology is cringeworthy. Optical drives? Honestly, only an irrelevant few still use physical media, that includes plug in devices. Drop box/cloud technology will surpass these within this decade. While you look backwards, the real world is moving forward. If your thinking was in place 100 years ago, we'd still be riding a horse/buggy. Sheesh. If they made a time machine, you'd complain that there wasn't enough cup holders, really.
  • Reply 91 of 167

Quote:

Would you like to know why it's being deleted? You're trolling. You've been given answers, multiple times, in other threads. You refuse to acknowledge them, and so now you're just spamming the same crap everywhere because you want only what you want to hear.

I have only heard one answer to this question and it was someone agreeing with me that the 2004 model is only an evolutionary change from the current model a decade later. One guy said it was revolutionary because it had an Intel processor! Bwahahahahaha!

• Reply 92 of 167

I don't believe they should keep the optical drives, I never said that.

• Reply 93 of 167

I have only heard one answer to this question…

Right, that's because you ignored all the others, just like you ignored my post where I said that.

Knock yourself out. You know exactly where they were.

• Reply 94 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

As posted elsewhere today...Of late I've come to the sad conclusion that Tim Cook is utterly incompetent without Steve Jobs' vision and paint by number directives. Been holding AAPL since it was $119 and re-upped at $514 so save the troll comments. The ugly truth is Tim Cook seriously screwed up!

1) The uncharacteristic smorgasbord product launch in Sept

2) The Maps fiasco

3) The Forestall food fight

4) Massive product constraints

5) Broken supply chain

No Spotify, no Waze, no_?

6) Openheimer changing AAPL's guidance MO at the worst possible juncture.

It has become apparent to me that with Steve gone and Cook at the helm APPL is a broken company.

All good points, but gosh I hope AAPL is not a broken company.

• Reply 95 of 167

Of course. Why wouldn't they? They've already replaced laptops for some people. Now they just have to get bigger.

Replaced.

That's not replacing, that's simulating. It helps to ease the transition, but they're not the same thing simply because they're being used in the same situations. Tablets are laptop successors, and they'll become desktop successors.

Would you like to know why it's being deleted? You're trolling. You've been given answers, multiple times, in other threads. You refuse to acknowledge them, and so now you're just spamming the same crap everywhere because you want only what you want to hear. Knock it off.

Why wouldn't they?  Tablets won't replace laptops anymore than motorcycles will replace cars, or cell cameras replace DSLRs, or synthesizers replace pianos, or e-readers replace books.  They will co-exist, neither will replace the other.  I agree there is still growth left to tablets and it will lower the percentage that depend on traditional computers, but not to a small percentage.  There will be a significant percentage that use a desktop/laptop and many that use a tablet.  That's the way it will be next year and 10 years from now.  

This isn't the same as floppy disks, CRTs, PS/2 connectors, and things like horse+buggy.  Those have been replaced because they were replaced by new technologies that were better in every way, to the point where the old technology was completely unnecessary.  Tablets are not better in every way, and do not do everything a laptop/desktop does and better, just as the other examples I mentioned in my previous paragraph don't.  

Both of our viewpoints are opinions, but I see no evidence that laptops and desktops will be replaced by tablets to the point where tablets take over as what most people use as the home computer.

• Reply 96 of 167
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Isn't this just panic selling right now? At what point does it become ridiculous?

Most likely.

Folks hear things like Apple only sold 1 million whatever due to supply issues and all they care about is the issues. Because they have been trained that issues means defects etc. could just be the thing came out late. Cook was up front that supplies would be touch and go with the new iMacs and that was likely due to not being able to train folks way in advance on the assembly because it would generate major leaks so they were a bit slower with things. Better that than making them rush and half the first groups are crappy and have to be returned. Or at least users would feel that way. And so on
  • Reply 97 of 167

Quote:

Right, that's because you ignored all the others, just like you ignored my post where I said that.

Knock yourself out. You know exactly where they were.

Ok, I saw the reason. They are revolutionary because they have Intel processors. I see that makes complete sense. How did I miss that?

• Reply 98 of 167
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    focher wrote: »
    Can you explain to me why revolutionizing product categories is something only expected of Apple?

Because its Apple. They are also required to end the national debt, destroy unemployment, end world hunger, cure all cancers etc
  • Reply 99 of 167

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Tablets won't replace laptops anymore than motorcycles will replace cars, or cell cameras replace DSLRs…

These aren't even correct comparisons! You want to say H&B to internal combustion (or internal combustion to fully electric) and SLR to DSLR! Your current choices aren't meant to be replacements! Cellphone size cameras are on the same scale as DSLRs, and they will inherently always be worse because the physics is easier to handle in larger scale than smaller when first starting. One isn't meant to be a replacement for the other; it's like how the 11" MacBook Air won't ever replace the 13". It's like how the Mac Mini won't ever replace the Mac Pro. Yes, these all WILL become more powerful/capable/accurate/whatever than their professional companions… but by the time that happens, the professional side will be that much more of the same as well!

…or synthesizers replace pianos, or e-readers replace books.

Ah. HERE you go. And I disagree with both of these, as well. Know why? Because eventually the former will get better than the latter. They're not now (well…), but they can be. Which means they will be.

Don't get me wrong; I was raised on a real piano and sax. I appreciate real music far more than the wholly created stuff. But that's because the real stuff still sounds better. It'll sound better for years to come. But it's getting close. 

Not saxophones, though. Synth ones of those are pretty bad. image

There will be a significant percentage that use a desktop/laptop and many that use a tablet.  That's the way it will be next year and 10 years from now. 

Ten years, eh? Well, if I'm still alive we'll revisit that. image

…I see no evidence that laptops and desktops will be replaced by tablets to the point where tablets take over as what most people use as the home computer.

Did anyone see evidence that the mouse+keyboard would replace the keyboard? Or the keyboard+screen would replace the blinkenlight? 

What about phones. I wonder if anyone believed that we'd ditch physical keyboards and D-pads for fully touch solutions, particularly so quickly.

I'm willing to be the anti-Dvorak here. Touchscreen solutions are the future as much as the Apple ][ and Macintosh were.

Ok, I saw the reason. They are revolutionary because they have Intel processors. I see that makes complete sense. How did I miss that?

Right, this is done now. Don't keep chiseling away at this.

• Reply 100 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Because its Apple. They are also required to end the national debt, destroy unemployment, end world hunger, cure all cancers etc

I am not asking for them to do all that. I was just wondering if it would be too much to ask for them to put out a new desktop once a decade?