'iPad 5' rumored to debut in Oct. with mini-like design, 'iPhone 5S' & plastic iPhone also coming [u

Comments

• Reply 101 of 171
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

... It is Apples job to grab as much market share as possible and to not screw up like they did with the Mac. ...

You really don't understand the history of personal computing if you think the history of the Mac is in any way analogous to the iPhone.

• Reply 102 of 171

Quote:

Apple has already addressed the bezel issue.

The one mistake you seem to make is to deny technologies march forward.

No, they really haven't, not in terms of making it mini sized on a 9.7" iPad.

Really? Now you're just talking silly.

• Reply 103 of 171
    blackbook wrote: »
    I don't know why Apple would go BACKWARDS and mimic the look and feel of Android.

That's frankly ridiculous.

The only place they need to look for inspiration for iOS is their own amazingly simply easy to use Mac OS X.

If they can figure out how to transfer some functionality from OS X to iOS (and no I'm not talking about a file system), iOS, particularly for iPad would be far more robust and complete.
    I don't mean mimic Android I mean to incorporate some of the features android has. Trust me I'm 100% in apples corner. I love their products and quality. But frankly they need some more of the innovated features the competition has.

I'm talking about the same features that people have been jail braking their iPhones for over the last 5 years. Not the illegal ones either. I'm speaking on things like the drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect.

I'm talking about some of the menu customization and I'm also speaking on the overall aesthetic of the iOS. It's gotta change sometime.

I love apple. Not bashing.
  • Reply 104 of 171
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    If the camera was the main feature then shouldn't it be called iPhone 5C?!
  • Reply 105 of 171
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I've never understood the iOS is stale argument myself. Lets face it, the OS is state of the art and with each release expands considerably in capability. Beyond that the app market is very vibrant. There is hardly a day that doesn't pass that I get an updated app to download. For the most part every update brings a new and improved app that leverages newer technology available to them in iOS.
    I agree, I've personally run an Apache web server on an iPhone, AppleTV, iPod, etc.

iOS, is basically OS X with some non-essential (for a phone) stuff removed, some new stuff added and a different UI (Cocoa Touch) -- and a lot of things hidden.  For example if you JailBreak an iOS device what you will see is the OS X file system, folders...  all very familiar.
    Most people can't seem to grasp this, iOS is basically OS/X with a new UI and a restriction on running apps in the background. It is every bit as powerful as Mac OS and with the right apps that can be demonstrated easily.
    In some ways iOS is more capable, refined and state-of -the-art than OS X.  Many of the old NeXT OS features in OS X implementations were rewritten and done "the right  way" for iOS.  These, in turn, are being / have been ported back from iOS to the OS X mothership.

Very much a two way street here. But you are right that many things got modernized with iOS with a lot of cruft being pulled out of code bases. This is a very good thing for both iOS and OS/X. In many cases though the libraries supplied for each OS are built from the very same code base.
  • Reply 106 of 171

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

…innovated features the competition has. I'm speaking on things like the drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect.

That's not innovation. It's the use of something already in place for a different purpose. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to have, of course.

I'm talking about some of the menu customization and I'm also speaking on the overall aesthetic of the iOS. It's gotta change sometime.

It will change in the same way Mac OS changed to OS X. But look at the timeframes on that.

• Reply 107 of 171
    anonymouse wrote: »
    You really don't understand the history of personal computing if you think the history of the Mac is in any way analogous to the iPhone.

It is precisely the history of the Mac that we want to see Apple avoid repeating. Apple has broken from the past with their diverse lineup of laptops but it took them years to realize that that helps sales more than it hurts. Thus it is time for Apple to get of the one trick pony with cell phones and develop two or more model lines to promote. As with the Mac limited selection is an eventual drag on your ability to move product. IPhone is past its novelty stage and thus needs to mature into a family if products.
  • Reply 108 of 171
    anonymouse wrote: »
    No, they really haven't, not in terms of making it mini sized on a 9.7" iPad.
    You do keep up on their patents, WWDC technology releases and other features promoted in iOS.
    Really? Now you're just talking silly.

No it is pretty obvious that you don't think the technology exists to make a smaller, thinner and lighter iPad. All I'm saying is that technology moves forward, we could easily see a major shift in the iPads mechanical design based on technology that allows for a thinner iPad.
  • Reply 109 of 171
    No ....

No no no no nooooooo!

That means I'll've been stuck with my iPad 2 for 2 1/2 years ....

Calgon, take me away!
  • Reply 110 of 171
    That's not innovation. It's the use of something already in place for a different purpose. Not to say it wouldn't be nice to have, of course.

It will change in the same way Mac OS changed to OS X. But look at the timeframes on that.

True. Maybe innovation is the wrong word but I've learned I'm a tech lover, not just and apple lover.

I usually go with whoever is the best...and for my buck apple is it....but I'd be lying if I said i didn't check out the Competition and get a little jealous.

I don't want to have to jailbreak my iPhone to get these features. And I won't. But it'd be nice if they just had them in there… And I think they will add them eventually. Im Just a little impatient.
  • Reply 111 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

... I'm talking about the same features that people have been jail braking their iPhones for over the last 5 years. Not the illegal ones either. I'm speaking on things like the drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect.

Average consumers don't want, or even care about a, "drop down menu on the galaxy s3 where you can control the Bluetooth/wifi/brightness ect."

The overall aesthetic will continue to evolve, but it would be a mistake to radically change it just for the sake of change.

• Reply 112 of 171

Quote:

It is precisely the history of the Mac that we want to see Apple avoid repeating. ...

Yes, well, there are currently no parallels, so they aren't in any danger of that.

• Reply 113 of 171

Quote:

You do keep up on their patents, WWDC technology releases and other features promoted in iOS.

No it is pretty obvious that you don't think the technology exists to make a smaller, thinner and lighter iPad. All I'm saying is that technology moves forward, we could easily see a major shift in the iPads mechanical design based on technology that allows for a thinner iPad.

If you think they've solved the problem for 9.7" iPads, you don't understand the problem.

Really? Technology moves forward? Who knew?

• Reply 114 of 171

Quote:

I consider myself fairly well versed in UNIX and a number of other OS's and I wouldn't want such an arrangement either. IOS needs to continue to evolve of course, but the last thing we need is a modal OS. Frankly it isn't so much the OS but rather the apps included with iOS that need work. Things like text editing and formatting in notes for example. In a nut shell all of the Apple supplied base apps in iOS need an overhaul especially to expand editing capabilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is unlikely to be even possible given the horsepower of the average iPad/iPhone at the moment but even if it was it's easy to see that this is something that only the tiniest percentage of the market would actually want.  

The tiny percentage of users that need such is the big problem, there just isn't enough to drive a shadow OS. Now granted Apple can do more to support power users but that is likely best handled at the app level.

A few thoughts here:

1)  Making iOS look and act the same (as much as possible) from generation to generation is an advantage -- it's intuitive and you already know how to use it.

2) This makes it appealing to consumers as well as enterprise -- you don't need to continuously dick around with it -- just use it.

3) It also tends to make the system more secure -- as there aren't a lot of trap doors or exposures.

4) A common code base is easier to develop for and easier to maintain and enhance than several similar (but separate)  code bases (think of all the bastardized Windows code bases).

5)  With iOS, Apple has done a pretty good job of protecting the user from himself, malware and to preserve the security needed by enterprise.

That said, there are some things that Apple has not done so well:

• The etherial iOS File System -- it's there, but you just [mostly, hardly] can't use it.*

• Too high a wall surrounding the garden

• Lack of real interapp communication

• App access to multitasking, maps, other app's files (with proper security), etc.

• Flexible configuration options.

* FFF == Find The Fine Finder [replacement]

I think what I'd like to see is for Apple to open the kimono a little more and expose some of the richness of iOS to developers and users who need it.  This could be done with a Power User Setting (with various sub settings).  It would allow the user or enterprise to enable these capabilities on an individual basis.

I am thinking of something somewhere between the Wild West of JailBreaking and the comfort of  being institutionalized.

One example:  I'd like to be able to allow the kids cell data enabled for tracking (find friends, find phone) but not for surfing, game playing, etc. -- WiFi only for the latter.

• Reply 115 of 171

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It is precisely the history of the Mac that we want to see Apple avoid repeating. Apple has broken from the past with their diverse lineup of laptops but it took them years to realize that that helps sales more than it hurts. Thus it is time for Apple to get of the one trick pony with cell phones and develop two or more model lines to promote. As with the Mac limited selection is an eventual drag on your ability to move product. IPhone is past its novelty stage and thus needs to mature into a family if products.

Exactly!   Say the customer comes in to buy a Tablet or Smartphone...  He needs lots of storage and is pice sensitive...

With the iPad, you can up-sell or down-sell depending on the customer's needs!

With the iPhone, you really can't -- there are not enough storage options and price points.

• Reply 116 of 171
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, BS all around on this one.

I think it's safe to say that IGZO panels will eventually be filtered into new products over the next year.  I think that's a safe assumption due to their relationship to Sharp.

Apple is planning on coming out with new iPhones and iPads later this year.  I think that's a safe assumption.

• Reply 117 of 171
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Apple doesn't want to look at too many iPhone models at one time because they have to figure out what they can do that makes sense from ALL perspectives.  Cost, margin, demand, and if it makes sense for them to build more than one screen size.  I think that Apple should have come out with two screen sizes of the iPhone.  4inch is fine, but I think a larger (but not too large) would have been nice.

What I would like to see, I don't know if the carriers can do this now or in the future, is to have more than one physical phone device with the same number and no added cost to the service.  WHY you ask?  Here's my line of reasoning.  Let's take an average person that owns a smartphone, tablet(s), laptops.  Now, I think that if ALL mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) should have WIFI, but cellular data AND cell phone in them so we can pick and choose which item to carry with us.  Sometimes I only want a smartphone if I am going out where that's all I need, but other times, I only want to carry a laptop or a tablet, etc.  Why couldn't we just buy ALL mobile devices linked to the same account using the same phone number therefor reducing the need to always carry a smartphone with us, just to answer the phone.  Anything past a certain size we can always have a Bluetooth ear piece, wired ear buds or use the built in speaker/microphone if we are in a private room.  Plus we would all have cellular data on all devices.  I'm surprised Apple hasn't offered Cellular Data on laptops so we wouldn't have to tether.  Since the voice/data chip, antenna and nano-sim would only add a small cost to a laptop or a tablet.    Just an idea I have that I would definitely want should it be available sometime down the road.

• Reply 118 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:

Apple doesn't want to look at too many iPhone models at one time because they have to figure out what they can do that makes sense from ALL perspectives.  Cost, margin, demand, and if it makes sense for them to build more than one screen size.  I think that Apple should have come out with two screen sizes of the iPhone.  4inch is fine, but I think a larger (but not too large) would have been nice.

What I would like to see, I don't know if the carriers can do this now or in the future, is to have more than one physical phone device with the same number and no added cost to the service.  WHY you ask?  Here's my line of reasoning.  Let's take an average person that owns a smartphone, tablet(s), laptops.  Now, I think that if ALL mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) should have WIFI, but cellular data AND cell phone in them so we can pick and choose which item to carry with us.  Sometimes I only want a smartphone if I am going out where that's all I need, but other times, I only want to carry a laptop or a tablet, etc.  Why couldn't we just buy ALL mobile devices linked to the same account using the same phone number therefor reducing the need to always carry a smartphone with us, just to answer the phone.  Anything past a certain size we can always have a Bluetooth ear piece, wired ear buds or use the built in speaker/microphone if we are in a private room.  Plus we would all have cellular data on all devices.  I'm surprised Apple hasn't offered Cellular Data on laptops so we wouldn't have to tether.  Since the voice/data chip, antenna and nano-sim would only add a small cost to a laptop or a tablet.    Just an idea I have that I would definitely want should it be available sometime down the road.

Totally agree with most of this -- especially the last paragraph.

I would like to see Apple/Carriers do this ASAP * with the iPad Mini as I see it as an easy implementation and easy sell choices:  

• iPhone only

• iPad Mini only

• Both

* I would give this higher priority than upgrading the iPad Mini to Retina.

In our household of 5, we all have iPhones and iPads -- only 1 iPad Mini.   It appears, for our needs, the minimum storage (16 GB) models of iPhone make more sense -- and maximum storage iPads/iPad Minis.

• Reply 119 of 171
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That is called cloning and is illegal so don't ever expect that to happen anytime soon. But you can pretty much accomplish that with several phones already with Google Voice. Give everyone your GV number, and all 3 phones could ring at once when people call that number. I do that now among several phones from my landline, office, and mobile. It is very convenient. 

• Reply 120 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    drblank wrote: »

Google Voice already does that.