Apple's market cap dips below Exxon as stock selloff continues

Comments

• Reply 101 of 167
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    techguy911 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they?  Tablets won't replace laptops anymore than motorcycles will replace cars, or cell cameras replace DSLRs, or synthesizers replace pianos, or e-readers replace books.  They will co-exist, neither will replace the other.  

I disagree to a point on this. Yes tablets will replace computers for many users simply because those users don't really need a computer. They email, web shop, Facebook and listen to a little music. But that's it. A tablet is fine for that.

At some point in the future we might reach a kind of singularity moment when a tablet has the same or at least 80% or higher the power and storage of a computer and bandwidth etc issues are much less. And at that point the number of folks that don't need a computer will be even less, perhaps as high as 90%. We'll swing back around to the notion of computers as tools for research and advanced creative endeavor and not really for he 'common man'. But that time is likely several years away.
  • Reply 102 of 167
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    pik80 wrote: »
    I am not asking for them to do all that. I was just wondering if it would be too much to ask for them to put out a new desktop once a decade?

No. You expect them to totally redesign every time. Desktop, laptop, etc.

New doesn't have to mean total redesign. Updated parts is a new computer.

Well not to you but that's your issue to deal with, not Apple. Because they have released new desktops several times in the last decade.
  • Reply 103 of 167
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Right, that's because you ignored all the others, just like you ignored my post where I said that.

Knock yourself out. You know exactly where they were.

Let's remember that he called the iMac, a machine configurable to 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz), 32GB RAM, with an SSD+HDD@7200RPM 3.1TB Fusion Drive, low-end which is why he's still holding onto his mid-range PPC G4 PowerMac.
  • Reply 104 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah. HERE you go. And I disagree with both of these, as well. Know why? Because eventually the former will get better than the latter. They're not now (well…), but they can be. Which means they will be.

Ok, I'll give you the e-reader one.  I think traditional books will stick around forever, but it will be by a small minority of people who just can't give them up no matter what.

• Reply 105 of 167
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

So your trash talk about Apple has nothing to do with the facts, you just want to talk down the price so you can make a few bucks. Good for you. Now we know what you are, we're just haggling on the amount. There's a word for people like you.

My trash talk about Apple? image

There are few stronger defenders of Apple on this forum than me. Why would I want to talk down the price? The price is already crazy down, and it's not like I have shorted the stock.

• Reply 106 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I disagree to a point on this. Yes tablets will replace computers for many users simply because those users don't really need a computer. They email, web shop, Facebook and listen to a little music. But that's it. A tablet is fine for that.

At some point in the future we might reach a kind of singularity moment when a tablet has the same or at least 80% or higher the power and storage of a computer and bandwidth etc issues are much less. And at that point the number of folks that don't need a computer will be even less, perhaps as high as 90%. We'll swing back around to the notion of computers as tools for research and advanced creative endeavor and not really for he 'common man'. But that time is likely several years away.

That's certainly possible.  In my opinion, unlikely.  I would be very sad if that day came.

• Reply 107 of 167
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

they have released new desktops several times in the last decade.

They have released tiny evolutionary updates. They need to balance evolutionary updates with more revolutionary ones. Going too far with evolutions or revolutions will be a problem. Both types of updates are necessary.

• Reply 108 of 167

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

…put out a new desktop once a decade?

Since 2003, there have been 11 Mac Mini updates, 14 iMac updates, and 10 Mac Pro updates.

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

Both types of updates are necessary.

And they have given us both types of updates 6 times in the last decade.

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Ok, I'll give you the e-reader one.  I think traditional books will stick around forever, but it will be by a small minority of people who just can't give them up no matter what.

Right! As will traditional instruments, but those for a lot longer.

• Reply 109 of 167
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    looks like there was a bit of a rally in the afternoon.
  • Reply 111 of 167
    LOL!
    The stock can drop all it wants but Apple is still making cash for days. But for those in the know, this BS!
    In reality all the stock on Wall street doesn't have a one to one dollar backing it anyway.So who gives a flying f***!
  • Reply 112 of 167
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 113 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sflocal wrote: »

Yes... just watching the heard mentality.  I find it interesting that the same blowhards that had everything to do with tanking the economy, are the same people that folks STILL listen to.

I'm going to have a big talk over the weekend and decide to buy more AAPL.  The price is just too good to pass up.  In the end, I hope Apple decides the price is too good and buy back a bunch of their stock back.  Hell, I would.  I'm not giving up my current AAPL holdings by a longshot.

100% agree.
  • Reply 114 of 167
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    techguy911 wrote: »

Yep, there are always hold outs, I have friends that swear by Papyrus. ;)
  • Reply 115 of 167

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Macs aren't the problem. The problem is supplier issues on one end, and the rise of the iPad on the other. 

If Apple has the attitude that there is nothing wrong with the Mac line then I suspect the market share will stay at 2%.

• Reply 116 of 167
    Yep, there are always hold outs, I have friends that swear by Papyrus. ;)

So it's lightweight and portable but it doesn't have durability and security of large stone tablets. Moses didn't come down from the mountain with sheets of paper or lambskin and the Kaaba isn't a stack of Post-It® notes. :D

Do you think people argued over paper, skin or stone back in the day? They all gathered in a forum and discussed the pros and cons of each?
  • Reply 117 of 167
    If Apple has the attitude that there is nothing wrong with the Mac line then I suspect the market share will stay at 2%.

Their PC unit share is at 2%? Since when? And why ignore their PC profit share of the market which is over 35%?

Can you guess which is more important to for profit companies? I'll give you a hint: The exact opposite of everything you want to make Apple into to suit your myopic and entitled desires.
  • Reply 118 of 167

Did I say Apple should not make a profit? I don't remember saying that. People aren't just buying Windows machines because they are cheap. It's because they provide several options that Macs don't offer. As long as Apple has this cocky attitude that they always know what is best for every user their market share will continue to stay a complete joke.

• Reply 119 of 167

Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

As long as Apple has this cocky attitude that they always know what is best for every user…

They do not claim, nor do they expect to provide, anything remotely like this.

• Reply 120 of 167
    Did I say Apple should not make a profit? I don't remember saying that. People aren't just buying Windows machines because they are cheap. It's because they provide several options that Macs don't offer. As long as Apple has this cocky attitude that they always know what is best for every user their market share will continue to stay a complete joke.

1) Your stated desire is that Apple address your specific needs regardless of the size of the addressable market or their desire because you feel, and I quote, "entitled" because you paid $3,000 for software 8 years ago for a PPC Mac.

2) Apple does what it thinks it can do to make the most sustainable profit just like all other for profit companies. You're just upset that Apple's method for achieving this goal no longer line up with your very specific desires for what Apple should offer you. Boo-fucking-hoo!

3) Funny how you call Apple cocky but the ones that desired to fill their machines with crapware and create new models and SKUs for different premium retailers so those retailers could legally say they'll match any price and have it be true are now struggling to turn a profit with their high-volume, unoptimized systems. Apple's the cocky one, alright¡