'iPad 5' rumored to debut in Oct. with mini-like design, 'iPhone 5S' & plastic iPhone also coming [u

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple doesn't want to look at too many iPhone models at one time because they have to figure out what they can do that makes sense from ALL perspectives.  Cost, margin, demand, and if it makes sense for them to build more than one screen size.  I think that Apple should have come out with two screen sizes of the iPhone.  4inch is fine, but I think a larger (but not too large) would have been nice.

What I would like to see, I don't know if the carriers can do this now or in the future, is to have more than one physical phone device with the same number and no added cost to the service.  WHY you ask?  Here's my line of reasoning.  Let's take an average person that owns a smartphone, tablet(s), laptops.  Now, I think that if ALL mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) should have WIFI, but cellular data AND cell phone in them so we can pick and choose which item to carry with us.  Sometimes I only want a smartphone if I am going out where that's all I need, but other times, I only want to carry a laptop or a tablet, etc.  Why couldn't we just buy ALL mobile devices linked to the same account using the same phone number therefor reducing the need to always carry a smartphone with us, just to answer the phone.  Anything past a certain size we can always have a Bluetooth ear piece, wired ear buds or use the built in speaker/microphone if we are in a private room.  Plus we would all have cellular data on all devices.  I'm surprised Apple hasn't offered Cellular Data on laptops so we wouldn't have to tether.  Since the voice/data chip, antenna and nano-sim would only add a small cost to a laptop or a tablet.    Just an idea I have that I would definitely want should it be available sometime down the road.

That is called cloning and is illegal so don't ever expect that to happen anytime soon. But you can pretty much accomplish that with several phones already with Google Voice. Give everyone your GV number, and all 3 phones could ring at once when people call that number. I do that now among several phones from my landline, office, and mobile. It is very convenient. 

Do you have a link?  All I could find was some nefarious activities...  It seems to me that with proper setup between Apple, the Carrier and the user you could:

• designate which device was hot

• or act as a rotary through available devices

Once you were using a device for cellular voice/text the carrier would identify and lock in on that device and exclude voice/text on the others... with some means of forwarding/switching the call to another device.

Wasn't too long ago where Apple & ATT were able to reimplement voice mail...

• Reply 122 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple doesn't want to look at too many iPhone models at one time because they have to figure out what they can do that makes sense from ALL perspectives.  Cost, margin, demand, and if it makes sense for them to build more than one screen size.  I think that Apple should have come out with two screen sizes of the iPhone.  4inch is fine, but I think a larger (but not too large) would have been nice.

What I would like to see, I don't know if the carriers can do this now or in the future, is to have more than one physical phone device with the same number and no added cost to the service.  WHY you ask?  Here's my line of reasoning.  Let's take an average person that owns a smartphone, tablet(s), laptops.  Now, I think that if ALL mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) should have WIFI, but cellular data AND cell phone in them so we can pick and choose which item to carry with us.  Sometimes I only want a smartphone if I am going out where that's all I need, but other times, I only want to carry a laptop or a tablet, etc.  Why couldn't we just buy ALL mobile devices linked to the same account using the same phone number therefor reducing the need to always carry a smartphone with us, just to answer the phone.  Anything past a certain size we can always have a Bluetooth ear piece, wired ear buds or use the built in speaker/microphone if we are in a private room.  Plus we would all have cellular data on all devices.  I'm surprised Apple hasn't offered Cellular Data on laptops so we wouldn't have to tether.  Since the voice/data chip, antenna and nano-sim would only add a small cost to a laptop or a tablet.    Just an idea I have that I would definitely want should it be available sometime down the road.

Google Voice already does that.

I don't trust Google with anything... damn sure don't want them listening and recording my phone calls!

• Reply 123 of 171
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

I don't see how my suggestions about using the blank space on the spotlight screen is turning iOS upside down. How is swiping from the bottom towards the top a radical idea either? iOS is very stable and has a lot of good points but there are also many improvements that can and should be made. Notifications for example. An app might have 3 or many more notifications. Why can't we swipe away certain ones and leave others to deal with later instead of only having a small X for the app itself. That is not very intuitive or helpful. I agree that iOS could take some cues from OS X and give us a bit more functionality. Let me give you an example, how about smart labels. We could choose our own categories or just use the ones Apple provides in the App store. The create a folder and ask it to place all the shopping apps for example in that folder. If you don't like folders, then at least offer a way to display certain types of apps when you can't remember the name of an app. And with many of us having hundreds of apps it is very easy to forget the name of them very easily. 

iOS is nice but is staring to get a bit long in the tooth and stale. As basically an app selector it worked well when people had less than 100 apps, but now people have hundreds. We need some better tools to organize and quickly find what we are looking for instead of simply going hunting from screen to screen. There are many ways Apple could significantly improve and augment iOS without sacrificing any of the positive attributes.  

first of all, swiping from the bottom up is actually a function on the iPad.  A 4 finger swipe up gives you the multi-tasking bar.

I do agree that the Spotlight screen is blank and pointless.  I've never used it.  Not even to search.  What i'd like to see on that screen would be similar to OSX's dashboard widget.  A great place to put the clock, weather, stocks, etc. apps for quick checks.  In stead of placing them in the Notification Window (swipe down)...which I also never use..place them somewhere that is intuitive...a place that mirrors features in OSX.  that would instantly signal a connection between the two platforms and be totally natural feeling for the Apple ecosystem.  Right now I put all my dashboard apps on either the first home screen or a "Utilities" folder.

Personally, I don't think iOS is "long in the tooth"  Sure there are a few things I'd like it to be more efficient about, but they will come...I have faith Apple will fix things.  It may not be at the pace YOU want, but when has it ever?  I grow tired of hear how dated iOS is.  It's not meant to be a computer.  It's not OSX, it wasn't design to be your primary device.  Some might say maybe it should...I say...my iPad works fine as my primary device...I don't expect anything more than what it was designed to do...and it does it all lightyears better.  Now I never even open my MBP to check email.  My iPad works so much better for that.  Same goes for IM and web searching.  I'm no power user, just the average user, and that's what iOS is for.

"People have hundreds" of Apps?  Personally, I bought into the ecosystem because of the very nature of Apple.  All the native/standard Apps that work seemlessly together.  I have no need for Apps that do the same thing as the native ones.  I can deal with their inefficiencies for a while until they fix them.  Except for maps.  The native apps i don't use get stored away in a back screen folder otherwise.  I've downloaded and tried probably around 124 Apps.  I use (not including the native/standard and downloadable Apple Apps apps) about 10.

As far as apps being more intuitive, I'd really like to see more OSX gestures in Safari.  I love 2-finger swiping for web browsing.  Wish iOS Safari did that.

• Reply 124 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why? The vast majority of iPhone users are not snobs.

Is there a problem with that? Further it might also be THE iPhone for people that simply have different priorities.

It is Apples job to grab as much market share as possible and to not screw up like they did with the Mac. The management team at Apple has stated publicly many times now that they don't expect to repeat the mistakes of the past. As such I expect to see a variety of phones in the future, it is the only way to cover the vast difference in market need.

I love my iphone, same as the next guy.  have no idea what I would do without it now.  but frankly, I use the phone App very seldomly.  Basically, it's there for emergency calling and on the go stuff...my phone usage is about 10-20 minutes per month at best.  If it weren't for damn telemarketers, I'd have nearly zero minutes used per month.  I really use my iMessage, Email, weather, maps, calculator and light solitaire games the most.  Quick, on the go stuff.  LIke a feature phone.  In fact.  If the iPod Touch had an LTE chip in it.  I'd probably buy that and get a work-around app for phone calls.

I'm not poor or rich, I'm in the middle and just don't need a phone for that much, unless out of the house.  My go-to device (as you can see from my last post) is my iPad.  I've gone to the extent of eliminating any 3rd party app i haven't used in 3 months and just download them from the cloud if I really need them.

That all being said, I wouldn buy an Apple iPhone if it were a feature phone.  All I really ever used are the native apps...save for a few games for subway riding and i'd be set!

• Reply 125 of 171
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    blackbook wrote: »
    I think an entirely plastic phone case would be unnecessary.
    It isn't a question of being unnecessary or necessary, the question is why you have such a negative attitude with respect to plastics.
    The could develop a phone with a metal case much like the iPod Touch and sell it for $300. The case is NOT the most expensive component in an iPhone. 
    It might not be the most expensive piece but it isn't a trivial piece either. Well engineered plastics can significantly reduce costs. Even a die cast metal housing could impact costs. Apple can effectively change costs by an order of magnitude or more with options beyond CNC machined cases.
    The most important thing is that this "cheaper iPhone" carry "Apple" look and feel so that people will want to buy the more expensive Apple products.
    This is baloney. Products should be designed to achieve usability goals first and foremost.
    I don't doubt they've experimented with larger screens, but to say this is their "plan B" against large screen Androids sounds rather foolish to me. It sounds like "if the 4 inch form factor fails we'll have to release this 5 inch screen". I'm sure Apple does more market research than throwing stuff out there hoping it works.

Apple does very little product / market research and is rather proud of that fact. However you can't enter a market you essentially redefined and not keep an eye on the competition. They have no choice to respond to the flow of consumer desire. Beyond that Apple knows they have a huge winner in iOS and that they have a sparse device coverage relative to what various consumers need.

In a nut shell just because the current iPhone form factor works well for you or me doesn't mean it works for everybody. Frankly I can see my self moving to a larger iphone in the future simply because the eyes are getting old. Just that one little niche is significant world wide, but old age isn't the only reason why people might want a larger iPhone.

When it comes right down to it Android has very little to do with Apple expanding its options. The reality is there are far more potential iPhone users out there than there are potential Mac users. It you look at current Mac sales in comparison we are talking maybe ten to one hundred times the volume on a quarterly basis. Apples ability to grab those users is based on having the tools (cell phones) that a wide array of users can justify. The point here is this, even if those large screen Android phones didn't exist there is still a rational need for a large screen iPhone.
  • Reply 126 of 171
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I love my iphone, same as the next guy.  have no idea what I would do without it now.  but frankly, I use the phone App very seldomly.  Basically, it's there for emergency calling and on the go stuff...my phone usage is about 10-20 minutes per month at best.  If it weren't for damn telemarketers, I'd have nearly zero minutes used per month.  I really use my iMessage, Email, weather, maps, calculator and light solitaire games the most.  Quick, on the go stuff.  LIke a feature phone.  In fact.  If the iPod Touch had an LTE chip in it.  I'd probably buy that and get a work-around app for phone calls.

I'm not poor or rich, I'm in the middle and just don't need a phone for that much, unless out of the house.  My go-to device (as you can see from my last post) is my iPad.  I've gone to the extent of eliminating any 3rd party app i haven't used in 3 months and just download them from the cloud if I really need them.

That all being said, I wouldn buy an Apple iPhone if it were a feature phone.  All I really ever used are the native apps...save for a few games for subway riding and i'd be set!

Our usage couldn't be more different. I talk on the phone a lot, at least 3 hours a day. I also love to explore and use new apps nearly every day or so. Except for Modern War, I tire of games quickly after a week or so. But I have a huge variety of apps in nearly every category. Like you at home I tend to use my iPad more, except for talking obviously. For me at least iOS feels stale because it hasn't changed much since iOS 3 and I fell in love when I jailbroke it with iOS 5 and really miss all that functionality that I had. Once a jailbreak is available for iOS 6 I would be mostly happy which shouldn't be much longer if this is true.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ios-6-untethered-jailbreak-iphone-5-seems-imminent-team-evad3rs-formed-leading-hackers-1038544

• Reply 127 of 171

Quote:

It isn't a question of being unnecessary or necessary, the question is why you have such a negative attitude with respect to plastics.

It might not be the most expensive piece but it isn't a trivial piece either. Well engineered plastics can significantly reduce costs. Even a die cast metal housing could impact costs. Apple can effectively change costs by an order of magnitude or more with options beyond CNC machined cases.

This is baloney. Products should be designed to achieve usability goals first and foremost.

Apple does very little product / market research and is rather proud of that fact. However you can't enter a market you essentially redefined and not keep an eye on the competition. They have no choice to respond to the flow of consumer desire. Beyond that Apple knows they have a huge winner in iOS and that they have a sparse device coverage relative to what various consumers need.

In a nut shell just because the current iPhone form factor works well for you or me doesn't mean it works for everybody. Frankly I can see my self moving to a larger iphone in the future simply because the eyes are getting old. Just that one little niche is significant world wide, but old age isn't the only reason why people might want a larger iPhone.

When it comes right down to it Android has very little to do with Apple expanding its options. The reality is there are far more potential iPhone users out there than there are potential Mac users. It you look at current Mac sales in comparison we are talking maybe ten to one hundred times the volume on a quarterly basis. Apples ability to grab those users is based on having the tools (cell phones) that a wide array of users can justify. The point here is this, even if those large screen Android phones didn't exist there is still a rational need for a large screen iPhone.

I agree completely with everything you said.  Well said.

• Reply 128 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Schiller is in record saying Apple isn't going to build an iPhones to a price point, and Apple doesn't make things 'cheap'

Combine this with the new financing thing in china and I think we can put the cheap iPhone for poor countries crap to bed

Ah but you are miss-reading him.  He said Apple won't make "Cheap" iPhones...but as many know already, it's all in the careful word choice.  He said "Cheap" not "lower priced".  One could say the iPhone 4S with 2-year contract ($99) is "less expensive", but not cheap.  Cheap implies lower quality.  Lower priced is simply that.

• Reply 129 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I don't trust Google with anything... damn sure don't want them listening and recording my phone calls!

You really should get that paranoia checked out.
  • Reply 130 of 171
    There is no way Apple is going to make the iPhone plastic.
  • Reply 131 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

The native apps need help. Or maybe could give us the option to delete some of them and replace them with 3rd party apps.

I agree some of the native apps need a lot of help (maps) but I enjoy the simplicity of most of them.  When they dropped the 5 apps from the iPad i was pissed, still haven't found apps as simple and easy to use as stocks and weather.  Their iOS 6 clock App could have been better, but it works.

but for the most part if you delete all the native apps, you have no more ecosystem.  No more integrated OS.  That's the OPPOSITE of what Apple is all about.  If you want to delete standard/native apps, buy an Android device.

• Reply 132 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by magical1 View Post

They already did, the 3G and 3GS, the latter being one of the best selling iPhone produced, even after the 4 and 4S came out the 3GS sold in droves.

• Reply 133 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    magical1 wrote: »

You mean there's no way they'll go back to making it plastic.
  • Reply 134 of 171

Quote:

Our usage couldn't be more different. I talk on the phone a lot, at least 3 hours a day. I also love to explore and use new apps nearly every day or so. Except for Modern War, I tire of games quickly after a week or so. But I have a huge variety of apps in nearly every category. Like you at home I tend to use my iPad more, except for talking obviously. For me at least iOS feels stale because it hasn't changed much since iOS 3 and I fell in love when I jailbroke it with iOS 5 and really miss all that functionality that I had. Once a jailbreak is available for iOS 6 I would be mostly happy which shouldn't be much longer if this is true.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ios-6-untethered-jailbreak-iphone-5-seems-imminent-team-evad3rs-formed-leading-hackers-1038544

All i have to say to this is, you are very clearly not the type of user that Apple products are designed for.  If you want to customize everything and hack the OS.  Go buy an Android [joking].  But seriously, I like the walled garden very much.  The phone just works as intended.  I want my email...there it is.  I want to text someone, I do it.  Apple products are design to be almost invisible from the experience.  I think Ive said something to that regard about the design of all apple products.  They should be unobtrusive.  Not super complicated and ultra customizable.  that's for MS and Google to do.

• Reply 135 of 171
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You have some very interesting points here, many that reflect my opinions or usage.
    antkm1 wrote: »
    first of all, swiping from the bottom up is actually a function on the iPad.  A 4 finger swipe up gives you the multi-tasking bar.

I do agree that the Spotlight screen is blank and pointless.  I've never used it.  Not even to search.  
    Neither have I. I actually get frustrated when that screen pops up. It might become useful in the future when my usage of the iPad goes up.
    What i'd like to see on that screen would be similar to OSX's dashboard widget.  A great place to put the clock, weather, stocks, etc. apps for quick checks.
    Widgets or micro apps - this is an interesting idea. I might go for it is the apps where allowed to run in background with user specified time slices. Such apps aren't all that useful unless they are up to date instantly. So if the user could specify a time slice in minutes, so that say the weather widget app is never more than 30 minutes out of date would be cool.
     In stead of placing them in the Notification Window (swipe down)...which I also never use..place them somewhere that is intuitive...a place that mirrors features in OSX.  
    Actually the notification window is useful to me but it does need to be used properly for notifications.
    that would instantly signal a connection between the two platforms and be totally natural feeling for the Apple ecosystem.  Right now I put all my dashboard apps on either the first home screen or a "Utilities" folder.

Personally, I don't think iOS is "long in the tooth"  Sure there are a few things I'd like it to be more efficient about, but they will come...I have faith Apple will fix things.  
    Such comments must come from one of three types of people, that would be idiots, people expecting a desktop OS or paid trolls. The only people with a perspective worth our time is the people with inflated expectations, at least I can understand some of their desires. You are right Apple does fix things but more important they add to iOS with every release. IOS has move very fast from its beginnings.
    It may not be at the pace YOU want, but when has it ever?  I grow tired of hear how dated iOS is.  It's not meant to be a computer.  It's not OSX, it wasn't design to be your primary device.  Some might say maybe it should...I say...my iPad works fine as my primary device...I don't expect anything more than what it was designed to do...and it does it all lightyears better.
    I started out with iPad one which at best can be called a proof of concept machine. That machine brought back the excitement of the early years of computing even if that machine left a lot to be desired. Now I'm on iPad 3 which is quickly becoming my primary tool. Even here I can see that Apple has a long way to go, but really the OS is the least of their problems.
     Now I never even open my MBP to check email.  My iPad works so much better for that.  Same goes for IM and web searching.  I'm no power user, just the average user, and that's what iOS is for.
    For me it comes down to this, iPad is often far faster for these needs. Often I turn to the iPad even if I'm working at my Mac simply because it is the faster solution.
    "People have hundreds" of Apps?  Personally, I bought into the ecosystem because of the very nature of Apple.  All the native/standard Apps that work seemlessly together.  I have no need for Apps that do the same thing as the native ones.  I can deal with their inefficiencies for a while until they fix them.  Except for maps.  The native apps i don't use get stored away in a back screen folder otherwise.  I've downloaded and tried probably around 124 Apps.  I use (not including the native/standard and downloadable Apple Apps apps) about 10.
    For the most part "ditto". The only thing that I don't buy into is the negativity with respect to Maps. For me Maps now does exactly what I want it to do.
    As far as apps being more intuitive, I'd really like to see more OSX gestures in Safari.  I love 2-finger swiping for web browsing.  Wish iOS Safari did that.
    IOS Safari does lag the Mac version a bit but I think that this is an indication of hardware limitations. Safari on iOS still isn't as snappy as I would like and often drags on some web sites. I can see Safari being much nicer on newer hardware. Especially if we get a RAM upgrade in iPad 5.
  • Reply 136 of 171

Quote:

For the most part "ditto". The only thing that I don't buy into is the negativity with respect to Maps. For me Maps now does exactly what I want it to do.

thanks for this dittos.  My issue with maps is that I use Maps, and Google maps more for exploration than navigation.  I could sit for hours looking at Google maps on my PC...Now that Google integrated Wikipedia to the Web version, I'm happier than a pig in Sh*t.  So for me, the problem is for exploration.

iOS Maps were clearly designed for CAR navigation only.  And it does that pretty well enough.

The other major issue I have with maps is it's relative data, VS. Google's Absolute Data.  For Google Maps, that data you see on the map is good for every location, no mater where on the planet you live.  In iOS Maps, the data is relative to where you live or currently are.  When I travel, it picked the best service for the local area I am.  But If I want to look at a map for Chicago, and I'm in Shanghai, I'm Sh8T out of luck. because the local data server has crap maps for the USA.  Same in Vis Verse.  I'd rather have the Google method of data.

• Reply 137 of 171
    dasanman69 wrote: »

And you, your naïveté!
  • Reply 138 of 171
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Too annoying. Do you really want to see your display shrinking/expanding as you hold/release your iPad, say, lying on the couch with your knees propped up? I don't think so. I certainly don't.

Who says it would. You would just need the system to be able to recognize a hold from a touch and ignore the hold. It could go along with a system to recognize when a hand is resting on the surface, say when using a stylus and ignore that
  • Reply 139 of 171
    charlituna wrote: »
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Too annoying. Do you really want to see your display shrinking/expanding as you hold/release your iPad, say, lying on the couch with your knees propped up? I don't think so. I certainly don't.

Who says it would. You would just need the system to be able to recognize a hold from a touch and ignore the hold. It could go along with a system to recognize when a hand is resting on the surface, say when using a stylus and ignore that

As I recall, Phill said they implemented the "hold" detection fir the iPad Mini. IDK about "hand rest" ... Though that should be a variation on a theme.
  • Reply 140 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

... and you should read my sig.