'iPad 5' rumored to debut in Oct. with mini-like design, 'iPhone 5S' & plastic iPhone also coming [u

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You really should get that paranoia checked out.

... and you should read my sig.

And...

Google CEO On Privacy: "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."

Of course that doesn't apply to Schmidt and Google execs who can redact the news about themselves...
  • Reply 142 of 171
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    This is a path down which Apple should not want to go, and likely will not. So I am calling b/s on that part of the rumor.

Yeah, like the iPad mini, never gonna happen!
  • Reply 143 of 171
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You really should get that paranoia checked out.

... and you should read my sig.

You know your signature applies to Apple, too, right?
  • Reply 144 of 171
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

The original iPhone from 2007 had an aluminium body with plastic window for wireless didn't it?

• Reply 145 of 171
    chuckd wrote: »
    Eliminating the side bezel sounds like a stupid idea driven primarily by the 'need' to market the device as ultra-thin.

Narrow bezels only make sense for the iPad mini, which is narrow enough you can actually grasp its back with one hand.

Eliminating the bezel doesn't make a device thinner. If anything, it might drive the design to become thicker. If/when bezels changes, it will be for a different reason. Think before you label others as stupid.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    1983 wrote: »
    The original iPhone from 2007 had an aluminium body with plastic window for wireless didn't it?

And the current one has glass windows.
  • Reply 147 of 171

Why not include a gsm chip in the iPod touch and dump the 4/4s? It could be a boost in the spring/summer and at the same time they get rid of the 30 pin connector.

• Reply 148 of 171

Originally Posted by propod View Post

Why not include a gsm chip in the iPod touch and dump the 4/4s?

Because that both wouldn't work and wouldn't solve anything. You'd have a device that has three hours of battery life and which costs roughly the same as an iPhone 4.

• Reply 149 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because that both wouldn't work and wouldn't solve anything. You'd have a device that has three hours of battery life and which costs roughly the same as an iPhone 4.

Maybe its true? But its not that big difference in capacity:

iPod

1030 mAh

iPhone 5

1440 mAh

iPhone 3G had 6-hours of talk time

1150 mAh

Maybe Apple will go for IGZO and save capacity that way, and only use gsm/gprs chip to preserve battery?

Is the gsm&antenna that much more expensive?

• Reply 150 of 171

Originally Posted by propod View Post

Maybe Apple will go for IGZO and save capacity that way, and only use gsm/gprs chip to preserve battery? Is the gsm&antenna that much more expensive?

Reengineering the iPod touch to fit the chip in will not only seriously cut the battery life (because of both the power requirements of the telephony chip and the fact that the physical battery size has to be a lot smaller), it will halve the storage.

The chip would HAVE to be dual GSM/CDMA, but goodbye LTE, which is sort of the opposite of what Apple wants to do with their cell phones. Or you can have LTE, cut the battery's physical size even more, and cut the battery capacity.

• Reply 151 of 171
    antkm1 wrote: »
    thanks for this dittos.  My issue with maps is that I use Maps, and Google maps more for exploration than navigation.  I could sit for hours looking at Google maps on my PC...Now that Google integrated Wikipedia to the Web version, I'm happier than a pig in Sh*t.  So for me, the problem is for exploration.

iOS Maps were clearly designed for CAR navigation only.  And it does that pretty well enough.

The other major issue I have with maps is it's relative data, VS. Google's Absolute Data.  For Google Maps, that data you see on the map is good for every location, no mater where on the planet you live.  In iOS Maps, the data is relative to where you live or currently are.  When I travel, it picked the best service for the local area I am.  But If I want to look at a map for Chicago, and I'm in Shanghai, I'm Sh8T out of luck. because the local data server has crap maps for the USA.  Same in Vis Verse.  I'd rather have the Google method of data.

Didn't know about this.
  • Reply 152 of 171

Quote:

Reengineering the iPod touch to fit the chip in will not only seriously cut the battery life (because of both the power requirements of the telephony chip and the fact that the physical battery size has to be a lot smaller), it will halve the storage.

The chip would HAVE to be dual GSM/CDMA, but goodbye LTE, which is sort of the opposite of what Apple wants to do with their cell phones. Or you can have LTE, cut the battery's physical size even more, and cut the battery capacity.

Yeah, I can see it would be a problem with dual band if they can't make it in a single chip and smaller, if they could it would be a nice difference to iPhone "Pro"

• Reply 153 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Eliminating the bezel doesn't make a device thinner. If anything, it might drive the design to become thicker. If/when bezels changes, it will be for a different reason. Think before you label others as stupid.

Obviously, it doesn't make it thinner, I never said that. What I implied is that Apple will reduce the bezel to market the device as thinner. 

Reducing the bezel is a stupid idea that only accomplishes a slimming effect, sacrifices ergonomics, and leads to unintended screen touches. If you look closely, the original iPad is the only one with bezel that is equally spacious on top/bottom. The side bezels on the iPad 2 (along with 3&4) were shaved down a bit to make it look slimmer and less boxy.

• Reply 154 of 171
    it doesn't matter whether apple will release new. it will be the same shit with little change. it's not innovation. apple only wants to make more money. it won't work anymore. consumers are not stupid. iphone, ipad, itunes, ipod market are already mature, flat. there is no more profit apple could earn if they won't make new market with new idea. but I don't think that Tim Cook have an idea on it since Steve Jobs died. he is just a businessman.
  • Reply 155 of 171
    archurban wrote: »
    it doesn't matter whether apple will release new. it will be the same shit with little change. it's not innovation. apple only wants to make more money. it won't work anymore. consumers are not stupid. iphone, ipad, itunes, ipod market are already mature, flat. there is no more profit apple could earn if they won't make new market with new idea. but I don't think that Tim Cook have an idea on it since Steve Jobs died. he is just a businessman.

I'm not sure about that re: consumers. Apple re-released the iPad 2, made it a bit smaller, and called it the iPad Mini, and it's selling by the boatload.

The Mini is a good idea, however the components are several generations old, but people still buy it because it looks cute.
  • Reply 156 of 171
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Didn't know about this.
    Most wouldn't know this unless ey travel and compare results when in both locations. I travel to china very frequently. When I search apple maps from the USA to china, that map data is very sparse because ether mapping data they use from where I'm standing in the USA has very crappy data on china. And if I'm in china and want to see a map of my home town in the USA, the data is really crappy, but the local data is great. I understand the logic of relative data vs. absolute data, but I see absolute data (the google method) much better.
  • Reply 157 of 171
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You can be assured that if there is a cheap plastic phone, there is no way that Apple can restrict it to 'developing markets.' It'll also be the handset for kids or the less well-off in the richer countries.

This is a path down which Apple should not want to go, and likely will not. So I am calling b/s on that part of the rumor.

So you mean the iphone 3G and 3GS was a piece of crap because its plastic that it should have not been manufactured by apple???

• Reply 158 of 171

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

a5, 3.5inch (my guess) or 4 retina, similar iPod-touch design, 8 gb, 249 or 299. What's your problem? at 299 it has at least 50% margins. Development and research are done, machinery is ready, supply is strong, BOM should be less than 160, much less (the new iPhone is at most 260 BOM, right?).

This is the device between 20% market share and 40%.

A 5inch phone is the device between 20% market share and almost 30%.

Together this is the difference between 20% market share and go head on against Android. Apple cannot do it otherwise, no matter what. They must also sign new manufacturing contracts and "not keeping up with demand" cannot happen again, for so much time.

You guys should not talk about his subject, you have no idea about the reality of the world outside the US. 

++

I have played along those numbers aswell and think if apple will NOT do this,  the same fate will become of the ios ecosystem that happoned to the PC market. Apple shouldnt make the rift between IOS devices and android get so wide that it creates a whole industry for Samesung in this area like it is now. Lets face it the only thing that makes an ecosystem good is you have enough people in it so that it will prosper. Not like the mac was in the end of the 90:s.

Lets not forget that Apple usually sells other hardware/software aswell to that same customer if the customer chooses its ecosystem. If you consider that aspect aswell the money missed in other parts like appleTV for example.

I will bet my money on this news!!! Who has the guts to bet? An updated 3GS model with plastic  case but thinner and little beefier cpu/gpu. Lets call it an iphone mini.

• Reply 159 of 171

Originally Posted by habi View Post

I have played along those numbers aswell and think if apple will NOT do this,  the same fate will become of the ios ecosystem that happoned to the PC market.

See, this is how stocks get shorted. Nothing of this sort will happen.

Lets face it the only thing that makes an ecosystem good is you have enough people in it so that it will prosper. 

500,000,000 iOS devices sold. That big enough?

• Reply 160 of 171

Quote:

See, this is how stocks get shorted. Nothing of this sort will happen.

500,000,000 iOS devices sold. That big enough?

Well you can leave atleast 30 -50 000 000 devices with ios 4.2.1 out of that equation because they are f/&(/€)in useless as you cant buy any apps.

Well depends on how apple will play its hand. My family will have two android devices (to my kids, instead of those ios 4.2.1 that apple bricked) by summer if i dont see those cheaper iphones or cheaper iphone4:s. After that I cant wouch for the rest. Trends can turn quite easily as you see... its easier to maintain one ecosystem of tech (apps and such).

Is it just me or doesnt anyone see the issue with iphone 4 prices atleast outside the US. Fu&€"ng MAD!!! We bought an iphone 4 16GB  2 years ago for about 280 euros. Now they sell an 8GB model for 325 Euros. What the f&%k is all that about, are they insane???

Is apple hardware the only tech in the world that gets pricier when two years has passed?!?!

Bring down that price compared to the newer phones or make a model with a cheaper BOM. That said maybe id buy a 3GS plasticback model instead if i could chose over the glass back model (well you know kids).