Ship times for 21.5" iMac slips to 2-3 weeks on US Apple Online Store

Comments

• Reply 61 of 109
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to see Apple do something in the car audio space. Last year I had an after market deck installed in my car and the guys at Best Buy said its huge business and they're installing them all the time. The UI on those things is absolutely horrid. I'd love to see Apple so something in this space. I think home entertainment and car audio would be good places for Apple to expand in to.
  • Reply 62 of 109
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

The key functional advance is the reduced screen glare.  Otherwise the thinness gimps the iMac as far as internal drives and video card options.

1/3 the mass is pretty sweet as well. Moving my 27" Late model iMac is a drag.

• Reply 63 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I gave 2 possibilities:

1. Tim is above his station and worked better when he was Steve's wing man and Steve did well when he had Tim at his side. [which in turn gives at least two more possibilities... either a new CEO and Tim goes back to his old job (not likely) or Tim is fine as CEO but he needs to find another Tim for operations management]

2. Tim is just getting his legs.

Flaneur gave a third possibility which basically came down to Tim not being capable of running the company at any level... a point with which I don't agree in Tim's case... yet. I replied saying that "if" "his" (Flaneur) possibility was the case "then" Steve picked the wrong man... but I'm not ready to say that yet and would like to see another year with Tim at the helm.

Or the third option.  Cook has grown Apple by 70% since he took over 18 months ago and that is really darned impressive.

• Reply 64 of 109

Quote:

Well, if it is your third possibility then Steve didn't pick the right guy because Steve didn't seem to have quite so many problems.

AntennaeGate? MobileMe? The Cube? Promise 3GHz on PPC in a year?

Do you want me to go on and on and on?

• Reply 65 of 109
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    steven n. wrote: »
    Or the third option.  Cook has grown Apple by 70% since he took over 18 months ago and that is really darned impressive.

That's all stuff Jobs set in motion¡
  • Reply 66 of 109
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I gave 2 possibilities:

1. Tim is above his station and worked better when he was Steve's wing man and Steve did well when he had Tim at his side. [which in turn gives at least two more possibilities... either a new CEO and Tim goes back to his old job (not likely) or Tim is fine as CEO but he needs to find another Tim for operations management]

2. Tim is just getting his legs.

Flaneur gave a third possibility which basically came down to Tim not being capable of running the company at any level... a point with which I don't agree in Tim's case... yet. I replied saying that "if" "his" (Flaneur) possibility was the case "then" Steve picked the wrong man... but I'm not ready to say that yet and would like to see another year with Tim at the helm.

Damn, did you ever miss my point. I was saying that Apple has grown so much larger, complex and I should add fast-moving (80% refresh in one year), that even a genius like Tim Cook will run into difficulties sometimes. Is that too hard to understand?
  • Reply 67 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Somebody has to counter the bullshit artist posers (you?) who act like marketing and manufacturing experts telling Apple what it must to survive, making comments about business practices they know absolutely nothing about, extrapolating conclusions from bullshit rumors. Of course Apple helps this "artistry" by keeping mum on what's really happening and that makes the bullshit proliferate like fruit flies in a lab experiment.

And Apple teeters on being the most successful company in history...

• Reply 68 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Of course if they'd done a simply refresh of the old style iMac earlier in the year they could have easily met demand and launched this revision when it was ready. Of course sales were slowing down the machine was a ridiculous 18 months old.

Apple screwed up in a HUGE way on this.

Apple stopped shipping the 2011 iMac and the new 2012s didn't come available until several weeks later.  That might have reduced numbers a bit...  The 2011 was still selling, was and remains a great machine.  I am using one right now.

• Reply 69 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Do you want me to mention how much Sculley grew Apple after Steve left. It's not relevant to anything being talked about, just like your comment.

By the way... I'll give Cook calendar Q1 2012 but I sure as hell will not say he was on his own for calendar q4 2011. So where did you get that 70% from...

• Reply 70 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Damn, did you ever miss my point. I was saying that Apple has grown so much larger, complex and I should add fast-moving (80% refresh in one year), that even a genius like Tim Cook will run into difficulties sometimes. Is that too hard to understand?

Oh... I didn't miss one part of it... but you obviously didn't read my comment at all.

• Reply 71 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know why you think that's sarcasm. To some extent it is true. How much we will never know.

• Reply 72 of 109

Quote:

AntennaeGate? MobileMe? The Cube? Promise 3GHz on PPC in a year?

Do you want me to go on and on and on?

So those problems all occurred in 18 months. Wow. I'll have to go over my Apple history again.

By the way, if you were actually paying attention you would have seen that I didn't agree with possibility #3. It was made up by someone else that also wasn't paying attention.

• Reply 73 of 109
    The new iMac is simply the most beautiful desktop computer ever made. It makes all competitors seem humdrum. I believe the demand is huge, no one but Apple has such high demand for complex to build, high quality products. Samsung sold half of what the iPhone sold of its higher end phones, the rest were cheap easy to produce old technology phones. They also produce nothing like an iMac. TVs are much easier in comparison. (And once Apple enters that market, they will be doing less of that.)
  • Reply 74 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

The new iMac is simply the most beautiful desktop computer ever made. It makes all competitors seem humdrum. I believe the demand is huge, no one but Apple has such high demand for complex to build, high quality products. Samsung sold half of what the iPhone sold of its higher end phones, the rest were cheap easy to produce old technology phones. They also produce nothing like an iMac. TVs are much easier in comparison. (And once Apple enters that market, they will be doing less of that.)

TV's are easier... but getting the content isn't.

• Reply 75 of 109
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What's your basis for this comment? One of the reasons Apple's stock got hammered this week is because profit was basically flat YOY and margins were compressed. If Cook was just looking for pure profit they would have updated the internals of the existing iMacs and nothing more.

1 - My basis for that comment is the sudden focus into hardware specs and growing complexity of the product lines to target a broader audience.

2 - Just because profit wasn't achieved, it doesn't mean the company is not pushing for it. Many of the current-generation products are more expensive than their previous-generation counterparts were during their prime time.

3 - I never said that Cook was "just looking for pure profit". They updated the design because they think it attracts a bigger audience, but it is clear that without Jobs' sensibility they don't really know what to do.
  • Reply 76 of 109
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Quote anyone saying that? Really. People make those claims all the time right here in AI, in this very thread.

If there's such a huge pool of evidence like you claim, then there's no reason for failing to quote a sample...

The "Cook debacle" (post #10) says it in so many words.

That post doesn't even address decreased demand.

Another take on the long ship times is that Apple intentionally limits supply to create the illusion of demand.

See above.

Analysts continually link decreased shipping times to a fall off in demand.

Citation needed.

It couldn't possibly be that  Tim Cook really is good at balancing supply and demand. The point of the sarcasm is that no matter what Apple does or doesn't do the jerk punditry out there, and right here in the AI forums, will find a way to doom the company with it.

The point of the sarcasm is to troll through a straw man fallacy.
  • Reply 77 of 109

Quote:

So where did you get that 70% from...

You do know how to read financial reports?

• Reply 78 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

From that logic then, all the issues in the past 18 months can also be blamed on Steve Jobs.

• Reply 79 of 109

Quote:

So those problems all occurred in 18 months. Wow. I'll have to go over my Apple history again.

By the way, if you were actually paying attention you would have seen that I didn't agree with possibility #3. It was made up by someone else that also wasn't paying attention.

OK: White iPhone 4.  Dude, you are remembering perfect green pastures of grass while Steve J. was in charge.  As I said, I can go on and on and on with similar issues that happened at Apple while Steve was in charge.

And I reject your two options you gave.

• Reply 80 of 109

Quote:

And I reject your two options you gave.

Fine, I reject yours as well.

... and