Toast Weirdness

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have Toast 3.5.7, 4.1.3, and 5.1.3 on my iBook, and just 3 and 4 on my Blue G3. So, when importing from scratched CDs, Toast 3 would tell you it couldn't copy because of a "MacOS -4 error" or something. I'd Try again and again, and eventually get a good rip. BUT, Toast 4 and 5 just keep on ripping when they hit scratches, leaving you with static, hisses, or skips. So, I always use Toast 3, just for ripping. But when I installed 5 on my iBook it seemingly destroyed Toast 3, because it imports CDs with skips now! Is this weird or what? Is this just me? I want to be able to get perfect rips. I guess I could use Soundapp to import? What do you people here use to rip CDs? Does iTunes have good results? iTunes encodes MP3 horribly, that's all I know. I am anal about my audio quality. Will DVD-Audio ever come?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Maybe it uses the Toast 5 engine. Without Toast 5 this doesn't happen.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    iTunes' quality seems fine to me.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I use Toast 5 Titanium and I can't seem to be able to burn sessions on a CDRW for data. It says its burning a session, but when I put the CD back in to add things to it, it won't let me. I can't figure out the problem. My friend has a PC and she says she can drag and drop at will to a CDRW, even drag a file off the CD and put it in the trash. Why can't Mac users do that?..........................
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>I use Toast 5 Titanium and I can't seem to be able to burn sessions on a CDRW for data. It says its burning a session, but when I put the CD back in to add things to it, it won't let me. I can't figure out the problem. My friend has a PC and she says she can drag and drop at will to a CDRW, even drag a file off the CD and put it in the trash. Why can't Mac users do that?..........................</strong><hr></blockquote>

You need packet writing software like Direct CD.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    &gt;You need packet writing software like Direct CD. &lt;

Isn't that for PCs only?............................
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    They used to make it for Mac, but stopped because of too many problems. Here's an article from MacCentral about it: <a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0104/10.directcd.shtml"; target="_blank">DirectCD for Mac</a>
  • Reply 7 of 7
    well, if Roxio doesn't do it, then Apple should. CDRW burning should be a snap on a Mac, just like everything else.........................................