Photos claim to show components bound for Apple's iPhone 5S and iPhone 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone 5 is still relatively new to store shelves, but a French tech blog claims to have acquired photos of components destined not only the rumored iPhone 5S but the so-called iPhone 6 as well, with one of the models speculated to launch in a matter of months.

NoWhereElse.fr on Friday published the images of what it claims are loud speaker modules for the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6. The images, the site claims, come from a source connected to an Apple supplier that makes the components.

Supposed iPhone Components

The site contends that Apple will deviate from its normal schedule of releasing one iPhone per year and instead roll out as many as two iPhones in 2013. The iPhone 5S will allegedly serve as an incremental improvement on the iPhone 5, while the iPhone 6 will be a more substantial redesign, though no details were reported as to the possible differences between the two.

A third iPhone model has also been rumored as the so-called iPhone Math (or iPhone +, depending on the interpretation), a larger-screened iPhone meant to give Apple a stake in the nascent but growing "phablet" sector.

The additions to the iPhone line would also come with alterations to Apple's release schedule, according to the report. One of the rumored models would launch between March and July of this year, while a second would be released toward the end of the year.

Supposed iPhone Components

The pictured components, while out of focus, do bear some resemblance to the loud speaker unit from the iPhone 5, which the author of the report superimposed onto one photo for comparison. Based solely on the images, it's difficult to say with any certainty how likely they are to turn up inside a future Apple device.

Should the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 materialize as described in the report, it certainly wouldn't be the first time components have leaked prior to the release of an Apple device. As recently as this past October, weeks before the launch of the iPad mini, images of the device's front and back panels appeared on the Internet, with photos of the device's Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth antennas following early on the day of its announcement.

This past month has seen a flurry of rumors about the paths Apple might take with the next generation of its industry-leading smartphones, even though the most recent version debuted only a few months ago and continues to see sales that outstrip supply.

Driven possibly in response to analyst concerns that Apple must make a cheaper iPhone to compete in emerging markets, some reports have the Cupertino company working on a model with polycarbonate backing.

Asked directly about this possibility during the company's quarterly conference call this week, Apple CEO Tim Cook parried the question, saying he would not go into Apple's pricing strategy but that the company "[feels] great about the opportunity of getting products to customers."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If we're already seeing leaks then I think it's possible the next iPhone will come sooner than next Autumn.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I agree...I still hoping for around summer for the next iPhone(s).
  • Reply 3 of 77

And so it begins. Again.

They can't have an "iPhone +"; they have AppleCare+ and people will think that only applies to that model.

JUST DROP THE FRICKING NUMBERS. I was right in the first place. When the 10th iPhone (iPhone 7) is released with iOS 10… but then again the OS' probably won't still be split by then… 

• Reply 4 of 77
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Driven possibly in response to analyst concerns that Apple must make a cheaper iPhone to compete in emerging markets, some reports have the Cupertino company working on a model with polycarbonate backing.

Didn't the 3G and 3GS already have a polycarbonate back?

• Reply 5 of 77
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Just for laughs they should name the next one the iPhone 5/s
  • Reply 6 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Didn't<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;"> the 3G and 3GS already have a polycarbonate back?</span>
    Yep. But I never felt Jobs and Ive really loved that phone design. Felt like a compromise until they could get what they really wanted - iPhone 4.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If it isn't iPad related or Mac desktop machine related I don't care! Seriously iPhone hides out in my pocket most of the time, iPad and a Mac are machines that get regular use. If there are rumors to seek out look for rumors related to these devices!
  • Reply 8 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. But I never felt Jobs and Ive really loved that phone design. Felt like a compromise until they could get what they really wanted - iPhone 4.

Actually I disagree.  I honestly believe the iPhone 5 is extremely close (if not exactly) to the design Jobs & Ive actually wanted. 

• Reply 9 of 77
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And so it begins. Again.

They can't have an "iPhone +"; they have AppleCare+ and people will think that only applies to that model.

JUST DROP THE FRICKING NUMBERS. I was right in the first place. When the 10th iPhone (iPhone 7) is released with iOS 10… but then again the OS' probably won't still be split by then… 

You work for Apple?  No you don't.  One man rules the world.  I'm right every one else is wrong because my logic is faultless.

• Reply 10 of 77
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I think they need to stop posting photographs of new products before they are announced.  It takes all the fun out of the actual public release from the company.

• Reply 11 of 77
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

And so it begins. Again.

I'm surprised Apple doesn't call iOS,  iOS X 10.1, .2, .3., .4, .5, .6, .7, .8, etc.  just like they do for the desktop.  One is OS X for the desktop, the other is iOS X for mobile devices.  Just sayin....

• Reply 12 of 77

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

You work for Apple?  No you don't.  One man rules the world.  I'm right every one else is wrong because my logic is faultless.

So you think the existence of AppleCare, AppleCare+, an iPhone, and an iPhone + wouldn't be confusing to a regular person?

"So I can get AppleCare for my plus?"

"Yep, and plus for your plus."

"But I can't get plus for my iPhone."

"No, you can get plus for your iPhone and plus for your plus."

If I'm wrong, why'd they drop the numbers from the iPad? Why didn't they ever have numbers for the iPod?

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think they need to stop posting photographs of new products before they are announced.  It takes all the fun out of the actual public release from the company.

We're a rumor site. It's easy to avoid said pictures, but please don't (or you can just ignore those threads)!

They take the fun out? You can glean the entirety of the product from these individual component leaks? Please share! I always love those debates. Almost as much as I love the speculation on product announcement images. Serious fun.

• Reply 13 of 77
    I think the articles on this site are mislabeling the rumored larger iPhone as a phablet when in fact (according to rumors) it's just a larger iPhone. Phone don't become phablets until they cross the 5 inch mark and I recall the rumor being for a 4.6 to 4.8 inch screen. To most of the market that's still well within normal phone territory.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

So you think the existence of AppleCare, AppleCare+, an iPhone, and an iPhone + wouldn't be confusing to a regular person?

"So I can get AppleCare for my plus?"

"Yep, and plus for your plus."

"But I can't get plus for my iPhone."

"No, you can get plus for your iPhone and plus for your plus."

If I'm wrong, why'd they drop the numbers from the iPad? Why didn't they ever have numbers for the iPod?

I think they like diversity so there is not just numbers for all devices.

• Reply 15 of 77
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    If Apple decided to release 2 or 3 new iPhone versions in a year it certainly would make the most sense to stagger their release to every 4 to 6 months. That keeps the excitement up all year round as opposed to just the first half of the cycle. That has hurt Apple the most with only one release a year. Once a model is 7 or 8 months old it is hard to justify not just waiting a little longer for the next version. Granted these 3 models would likely be very different and the ones that would want the 5S, 6, or + likely would not be interested in a cheaper model.

I think a 4.7" iPhone+ would really get people excited again in a way we really haven't seen in long while. That has been somewhat lacking recently with perhaps the most excitement about the original then the 4. Regardless of what phone or phones they release this year though, at the end of the day it is iOS we stare at and interact with when we use the phone. I am almost as excited about what goodies iOS 7 packs as the next iPhone. For that reason I would like to see them untie the release of iOS 7 to the next iPhone and just release it when it is ready.

Imagine if the so called S models began to be known for "Six", as in they are released about every six months between versions of the classic for lack of a better word model.

Here is what I am guessing could work well:

May/June iPhone 5S (modest upgrades to CPU, double storage to 128GB for high end, maybe better camera would be enough)

September/October iPhone 4.7" display, pretty much sames specs as 5S except for faster CPU which would also power the next iPad that could be released at same time.

Early December iPhone 6 and a more affordable iPhone, maybe a 3.5" version. The 6 would be the evolution for the 4" 5 and 5S. The cheaper version would probably be similar in specs to the 4 or 4S but could be bought out of contract brand new for around $350. It would probably come in several colors.

Then rinse and repeat next year.
  • Reply 16 of 77

Desperation.

• Reply 17 of 77
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Who cares about the phone. Give me iOS info- I'm curious where else they can take it and how it can get better.

Also- they won't release iPad and iPhone at same time, so they better pick one or the other (or neither) for the summer. Hopefully it's iPad but iPhone is cool too- I'm happy with either.

More important than any of it? Give me my leaked Apple TV 4 info... Chomping at the bit here.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

If I were to guess, I would assume that a cheaper iPhone would come out in March/April to coincide with a deal with China Mobile.

The iPhone + will come out in the Summer.

The iPhone 5S will come out in the fall in time for holiday season.

That's if any of these rumors are true.

• Reply 19 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

May/June iPhone 5S (modest upgrades to CPU, double storage to 128GB for high end, maybe better camera would be enough)

September/October iPhone 4.7" display, pretty much sames specs as 5S except for faster CPU which would also power the next iPad that could be released at same time.

I was thinking that, but if the 5S come out before the iPhone+, some iPhone 5S buyers would be pissed they didn't have the chance to buy the larger screen options.

So maybe releasing the iPhone+ first would be better?

Another thing I realize is the lining up a queuing in front of Apple stores before the launch of these models is going to die down if the models are spread throughout the year. Less queuing = less positive free press, which would be bad for Apple.

It may be best for them to launch ALL the iPhones at once to keep interest high and the lines long.

• Reply 20 of 77

Quote:

And so it begins. Again.

It would be hard for them to drop the numbers since they sell multiple generations at a time.

The only way I see Apple dropping the numbers is if they introduced an all new low end iPhone (iPhone Mini), to replace the last gen models at the low end.

Then the numbers would be unnecessary and irrelevant. For now we need them.