Apple seeds fifth iOS 6.1 beta version to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Saturday released a fifth iOS 6.1 beta to developers, continuing the testing phase of the company's mobile OS that will bring users a number of features, including enhanced mapping options and Siri-integration, when it launches later this year.

iOS 6

While rumors claimed Apple would soon rollout an iOS 6.1 Golden Master, the beta supplied to developers today is not the finalized version that traditionally heralds an imminent public release.

Apple made the first iOS 6.1 betas available to developers in November of 2012, two months after iDevice users were given access to iOS 6. The version change came with a number of all-new features like the Apple-designed maligned Maps app, built-in Facebook integration, Photo Stream and Passbook, among others.

Past beta iterations revealed that iOS 6.1 will offer an enhanced Map Kit framework that will allow users to search for map-based place names and points of interest with natural language strings. In an example given by a developer with access to the beta, a search for "coffee" returned the location and corresponding information of nearby coffee shops.

Additionally, iOS 6.1 will offer Fandango movie ticket purhcases through Siri and refined iCloud security steps when setting up a new device.

The latest release comes over a month after the fourth iOS 6.1 beta arrived in mid-December alongside fresh developer versions of Apple TV software and Xcode.

Developers can access the fifth iOS 6.1 beta from Apple's developer website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28

This is ridiculous. I get the feeling Apple is just stalling the release because they know 6.1 has already been jailbroken. Not like it really matters, as 6.1 doesn't bring anything substantial anyway. Siri integration in Fandango? Uh.. wow.

• Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cash907 wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. I get the feeling Apple is just stalling the release because they know 6.1 has already been jailbroken. Not like it really matters, as 6.1 doesn't bring anything substantial anyway. Siri integration in Fandango? Uh.. wow.

Apple should never release a point update if it only addresses bugs and usability without adding a laundry list of new features¡
  • Reply 3 of 28
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Ha ha, I will always welcome an update as long as it's a step up. That Siri Fandango enhancement is probably just one of many fixes and enhancements.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Apple has really slow OSX and iOS releases. A person wonders what the hold-up is. I'm imagining that there's a major product release coming that Apple is holding the ponies back for. What could it be is the question?

Look for an Apple special event in March.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple should never release a point update if it only addresses bugs and usability without adding a laundry list of new features¡

Yes. I wonder if, in the wake of Maps, they've made a decision to increase software testing across the board.

• Reply 6 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 7 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »

Are you trying to make a point¿ Ah, ok, it's a dot release, got it!
  • Reply 8 of 28
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Actually, I frequently find, especially with iOS releases, that performance enhancements and various small refinements occur within almost every update...and are never mentioned once in the release notes.

Apple: The Quiet Achiever.

• Reply 9 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ascii wrote: »
    Yes. I wonder if, in the wake of Maps, they've made a decision to increase software testing across the board.

Maps hasn't been an issue for me. However the latest rev of iTunes is an unmitigated disaster. So yeah they need to try a lot harder with quality control.

As to iOS I'd expect a lot of fixes in this relaxes with a few features thrown in. IOS could use lots of help with text editing in various Apple supplied apps.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maps hasn't been an issue for me. However the latest rev of iTunes is an unmitigated disaster. So yeah they need to try a lot harder with quality control.

As to iOS I'd expect a lot of fixes in this relaxes with a few features thrown in. IOS could use lots of help with text editing in various Apple supplied apps.

I remember with OS X they had many years rushing to catch up with Windows (not in terms of stability/user friendliness, but just in terms of "feature complete") then with 10.6 they took a breath and cleaned things up. Maybe iOS needs a stop and reassess release.

• Reply 11 of 28
    They did not "achieve" to fix de IOS 6 ITunes Match bug that user cannot delete there songs on their IOS devices like in IOS 5.x, even their own Helpdesk confirms this, nothing is being done to fix this.

For my part, Apple is loosing my confidence, they launch product updates and sell like crazy, meanwhile the stock is going down like crazy also.....in my view the only thing that Apple can save is the launch of the Apple TV set or ITV.

It would not be the first time that a company that creates beautiful and good products is being knocked down by a "copier" like Samsung, see what happened 30 years ago in the auto sector, Toyota and Nissan "copied" the features of the BMW/Mercedes brands and almost pushed them out of business.

I hope that Tim Cook takes the time to review history, the tables have turned, Apple cannot "reinvent" products on a 6 month basis AND sell millions of them, the market is now overrun by copycats for Smartphones and Tablets, there is little room left to maneuver, only the Television market has some grow left.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

They did not "achieve" to fix de IOS 6 ITunes Match bug that user cannot delete there songs on their IOS devices like in IOS 5.x, even their own Helpdesk confirms this, nothing is being done to fix this.

For my part, Apple is loosing my confidence, they launch product updates and sell like crazy, meanwhile the stock is going down like crazy also.....in my view the only thing that Apple can save is the launch of the Apple TV set or ITV.

It would not be the first time that a company that creates beautiful and good products is being knocked down by a "copier" like Samsung, see what happened 30 years ago in the auto sector, Toyota and Nissan "copied" the features of the BMW/Mercedes brands and almost pushed them out of business.

I hope that Tim Cook takes the time to review history, the tables have turned, Apple cannot "reinvent" products on a 6 month basis AND sell millions of them, the market is now overrun by copycats for Smartphones and Tablets, there is little room left to maneuver, only the Television market has some grow left.

Last Apple reported they are still selling millions of Macs, iPods, iPhones and iPads every month. Sort of destroys your statement, doesn't it? BTW the TV market, as it exists today, is more saturated and competitive than any other market Apple is involved in.

• Reply 13 of 28

…nothing is being done to fix this.

And you know this because… what? 

For my part, Apple is loosing my confidence, they launch product updates and sell like crazy, meanwhile the stock is going down like crazy also...

Yes, because the price of the stock reflects how well the company is doing¡*

..in my view the only thing that Apple can save is the launch of the Apple TV set or ITV.

Why would that do anything but waste money?

I hope that Tim Cook takes the time to review history, the tables have turned, Apple cannot "reinvent" products on a 6 month basis AND sell millions of them…

Except they quite evidently are doing exactly that, very successfully.

…the market is now overrun by copycats for Smartphones and Tablets, there is little room left to maneuver…

Apple has 90% of the tablet market and 33% of the smartphone market. At minimum. There's an entire aircraft hangar of room to maneuver.

…only the Television market has some grow left.

No, it's the third most saturated electronics market on the planet.

*I used it. What're you gonna do? (not you, person to whom I'm replying)

• Reply 14 of 28
    And you know this because… what? 

Because I have been in contact with Apple support and they confirmed that in IOS 5.x there was a possibility that (with ITunes Match) you could delete single songs from you downloaded library, with IOS 6 this is no longer the case, I have tested this with several of my friends, this is clearly a bug that even Apple is not fixing, why ? no idea ...

Yes, because the price of the stock reflects how well the company is doing¡*

Why would that do anything but waste money?

Except they quite evidently are doing exactly that, very successfully.

Apple has 90% of the tablet market and 33% of the smartphone market. At minimum. There's an entire aircraft hangar of room to maneuver.

No, it's the third most saturated electronics market on the planet.

[SIZE=8px]*I used it. What're you gonna do? (not you, person to whom I'm replying)[/SIZE]
  • Reply 15 of 28
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    This 'beta' installs on devices which are not registered as developer devices. It is also not available as an OTA update from previous betas. Sounds like a sneaky GM release.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Wow, what a lackluster upcoming update. Is that all we're getting?
  • Reply 17 of 28

Just installed 6.1 Beta 5 

can't talk about it. 

All i'll say is AWESOME!!!!!!

• Reply 18 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    super8sean wrote: »
    Just installed 6.1 Beta 5 
    can't talk about it. 
    All i'll say is AWESOME!!!!!!

In that case, thank you (for not talking about it ¡)
  • Reply 19 of 28

ecause I have been in contact with Apple support and they confirmed that in IOS 5.x there was a possibility that (with ITunes Match) you could delete single songs from you downloaded library, with IOS 6 this is no longer the case, I have tested this with several of my friends, this is clearly a bug that even Apple is not fixing, why ? no idea ...

Once again, how do you know that it is 1. even a bug at all or 2. that they're not fixing it?

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wow, what a lackluster upcoming update. Is that all we're getting?

¡

• Reply 20 of 28
    I am new to the apple family as of '11, and I must say that when I bought my phone brand new back in '11 ( iPhone 4S ) I was never really in a rush to go out and have the newest toy on the block the iPhone 5 because of my Verizon plan. Now don't get me wrong, I can go out and afford the ip5 at $600+ dollars, but with the constant updates that apple puts out, I feel like I have the ip5. I haven't had any issues with iOS until I downloaded 6.0.1. YouTube takes forever( makes me remember when I had my sprint air card for my laptop lol). And them there is my
    WIFI. It either bounces me from WIFI to 3G (thanks Verizon ) or it doesn't even work when you go into a coffee shop that offers free wifi even in my own home. In my personal opinion apple needs to work on fixing those issues rather than siri's fandango, or the taking away the clock on the unlock screen to play music. Other than that, eagerly waiting on the newest iOS program or the arrival of the next iPhone.