Help! Recording from an external source?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

A couple of years ago I put all of my vinyl onto Minidiscs. Now, I want to put these minidiscs onto my new iMac.

OK, it has no line in, so I buy an Edirol UA1A line in/out USB device. I plu it in, and the iMac recognises it.

BUT, how do I actually record it? iTunes doesn't appear to have an option, so when I press play on the minidisc nothing appears to happen.

What do I need to do?!?!

Cheers

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bertiebertie Posts: 5member
    Sorry, clicked the wrong key (new member)

You need a program that will record audio in real time, either digi or ana, like Logic or Cubase or the free Protools (providing you're not in OSX)

Some Mini Disc recorders can dump to PCs at 32 speed but not to Macs.

I find the best way is using a PCI card with digi I/O, but Firewire units are making an inroad. They're too dear yet

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Bertie ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Er right OK sorry...

... why not use Toast 5 titanium only £55 and does it all or try <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com"; target="_blank">www.versiontracker.com</a> and search the audio section for something that will record and allow you to save your file as a .mp3 or even better a .aiff file.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If you get a special card and if your MD player has digital outputs you might be able to digitally copy to the Mac. I've never seen this done so I imagine that you need software supplied with the board.

If you are going analog out from the MD player to analog in (I'm not familiar with the hardware you mention) then in OS 9 I suggest using Coaster (see version tracker). It is a free program that does a very nice job of recording to disk.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    take apart the MD casing and insert the little disc in your macs internal cd-rom drive. Ive done it before. You have to use a little program called "eataway" version 2.2.0.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    jesus... it was a simple question....

all you need is eeither the original soundjamMP I forget the commands, but it is really easy to record music from a line in w/that software... I belive QT pro also works but i am not sure...

soundjam should be found on versiontracker for @ least a demo version I dont think they sell it anymore...

hth

-Paul
  • Reply 6 of 6
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I've used a program called Amadeus II for audio recording. Give that a shot, you can find it on Versiontracker.