Apple releases iOS 6.1 with iTunes Match improvements, Siri movie ticket sales

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released iOS 6.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, packing a number of bug fixes and software enhancements, including the ability to purchase movie tickets through Siri.

iOS 6.1

iOS 6.1 is now available to download through the Software Update option in Settings. Apple said the update contains bug fixes, as well as the following highlighted improvements:
  • LTE support for more carriers
  • Purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri (USA only)
  • iTunes Match subscribers can now download individual songs from iCloud
  • New button to reset the Advertising identifier
Apple also uncharacteristically issued a press release Monday afternoon to announce the launch of iOS 6.1. The company touted that the latest update adds LTE capabilities to a total of 36 additional iPhone carriers, as well as 23 additional iPad carriers.

"iOS 6 is the world?s most advanced mobile operating system, and with nearly 300 million iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices on iOS 6 in just five months, it may be the most popular new version of an OS in history," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iOS 6.1 brings LTE support to more markets around the world, so even more users can enjoy ultrafast Safari browsing, FaceTime video calls, iCloud services, and iTunes and App Store downloads."

The release of iOS 6.1 comes just a few days after Apple issued one last beta to its development community. Apple did not identify that beta build as a "golden master" copy when it was provided to developers on Saturday ? a rare weekend release necessitated by the fact that the previous beta was set to expire on Sunday.

Apple first began testing beta builds of iOS 6.1 with developers last November. The free software update is compatible with the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad (third and fourth generation), iPad mini, iPad 2 and iPod touch (fourth and fifth generation).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    Bug fixes: let's hope they fixed the browser lockup and stalls.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Re: "New button to reset the Advertising identifier"

Can't wait to try that.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    On my iPad it says "iOS 6.1" . On my iPhone 5, it says "iOS 6.1 beta 4" update. Weird!
  • Reply 4 of 74
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Hope it fixes non-iCloud email notifications that don't appear on the screen anymore. My phone just vibrates or chimes for a new email, but never shows it on the front screen before unlocking the phone. Massively annoying since I have to manage 2 exchange accounts getting emails all day long, constantly unlocking my phone just to see what email came through. 

My roommates gmail account does the same thing. 

• Reply 6 of 74
    llamallama Posts: 102member

Direct links to Apple via: http://ios.e-lite.org/

• Reply 7 of 74
    Is fandango still around? Are there people who pay over the retail price for movie tickets when you can get them in Costco discounted by a third?
  • Reply 8 of 74
    This should be 6.0.3, not 6.1.

How underwhelming. Now all those posts advertising open iOS software engineer positions at Apple makes sense; evidently, iOS has a total of two engineers and one intern doing all development work if all they came up with in a x.1 update are these measly features.

That BB10 is looking hotter and hotter by the day...
  • Reply 9 of 74

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

How underwhelming. Now all those posts advertising open iOS software engineer positions at Apple makes sense; evidently, iOS has a total of two engineers and one intern doing all development work if all they came up with in a x.1 update are these measly features.

4/10. If you had used "stale" anywhere in there and not mentioned BlackBerry, I could have given you a 6, but quite frankly no one is going to accept that this is a legitimate belief or position.

• Reply 10 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I'm glad we can now get individual song downloads from iTunes Match. Before this you had to make a playlist and then put the individual song(s) from the album(s) into the playlist to DL them, and then delete the playlist. Not very Applesque.
  • Reply 11 of 74

1) How do you know what changes have been done that would make this territory point update over a secondary point update? I feel tertiary point updates should be reserved for basic bug fixes whilst secondary point updates for substantial additions and refinements to frameworks and OS apps. Do you really think that an addition of Fandango in Siri is the same as a bug fix for the baseband processor to fix a battery issue? I don't.

2) The BB10 looks great but how is there OS update process better than Apple's? What history do they have for BB10 that has been released?
  • Reply 12 of 74

Quote:

Bulk of development would be targeting iOS 7 for said iOS Engineering positions.

Never mind the fact that OS X 10.8.3 and upcoming hardware offerings will also house an even larger core of engineering staff.

• Reply 13 of 74
    This means that the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 will finally be released. I'm happy, my iPad will be jailborked again, meaning I'll be able to capture mirrored analog video from it once more.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm glad we can now get individual song downloads from iTunes Match. Before this you had to make a playlist and then put the individual song(s) from the album(s) into the playlist to DL them, and then delete the playlist. Not very Applesque.

It used to work perfectly before. Then Apple came and removed it, so you had to go through the hassle of using the playlist trick which you mention.

I had been whining about iTunes Match for a while now, so I'm glad that they fixed it and returned it to how it used to be.

• Reply 15 of 74
    It will not download to my 5th generation iPod touch says I'm not connected to the Internet and I'm home using all other devices on the same Wifi net work anybody else having this issue bare in mind that my iPhone and iPad downloaded the update and I started them all at the same time
  • Reply 16 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Re: "New button to reset the Advertising identifier"

Can't wait to try that.

I was not aware of what Advertising Identifier was all about. After some research it turns out that by default advertisers can track your usage habits.

Currently you can go to Settings, General, About, Advertising to see your settings. Limited tracking "Off" means that the advertisers can track you. "On" actually means they can't track you at least not using the Apple Advertising Identifier. I am downloading the 6.1 update now, so I don't know what the new feature is yet. I imagine it allows you to reset the unique identifier to a new random value as to disassociate your device from previous ad tracking. Personally I would just rather it allowed all ad tracking to be disabled. Apple has said that in the future all ad tracking will done using the identifier and no more use of UUID will be allowed. That will be good as then you will be able to completely turn off tracking.

• Reply 17 of 74

All fine and dandy these versions; what I wanna know is:

[LIST=1]
    [*] when is my iPhone going to connect over LTE in my country,
    [*] what speed gains can I get,
    [*] will a software upgrade make it compatible with a 800MHz band,
    [*] will it support SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE) or VoLTE (Voice Over LTE),
    [*] which provider supports which bands,
    [*] what does "UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)" [for North America GSM] or UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5) [for GSM International] [B][I][U]actually mean[/U][/I][/B]?
    [*]
    [/LIST]

And so on and so forth.

I like tech, read a lot on the possibilities but where does one go for a '[I]laymen question[/I]'? [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_long_term_evolution]Wikipedia[/URL] is so full of all the LTE variations that it's easier to understand that Siri Movie Ticket Purchase won't do squad for me because Siri Movie is available in only 11 countries.

I really hope Neelie Kroes will keep on pushing for 'consumer rights' meaning she wants manufacturers to support LTE to its clients when the box reads LTE. In Europe, this is a problem, possibly in the States too(?)
  • Reply 18 of 74
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155675/apple-releases-ios-6-1-with-itunes-match-improvements-siri-movie-ticket-sales#post_2266540"]It used to work perfectly before. Then Apple came and removed it, so you had to go through the hassle of using the playlist trick which you mention.

I had been whining about iTunes Match for a while now, so I'm glad that they fixed it and returned it to how it used to be.

I'm fairly new to iTunes Match. I've not been too thrilled with it as I think we discussed previously. Then at some point after that there were duplicate items on my iPhone but not in iTunes and playlists that were correct in iTunes would be missing many tracks on the iPhone. I had to wipe my iPhone and start from scratch to fix the issue.
  • Reply 19 of 74

Quote:

Indeed; perhaps 6.0.2.1 would be even more appropriate.

What an absolutely IRRELEVANT release - two of the main featured changes are country-specific and very limited in their usefulness (Fandango who?), while the other refers to the even-less-relevant iTunes Match.

As for "advertising" reset, I don't even know what that means and how it works.

It seems like we need yet another revolution at Apple.

• Reply 20 of 74
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Finally I can buy movie tickets from Fandango using Siri. I can't tell you how many times I have been thwarted from seeing a movie due to this missing piece of the puzzle. /s

Bug fixes are always nice. I think the happiest people today are the jailbreaking community since they already have 6.1 jailbroken and were just waiting for the official release from Apple to release their patch. I will probably try it again after I read the reviews. I really enjoyed the time I had with a jailbroken 5.1 iPhone.