Apple releases iOS 6.1 with iTunes Match improvements, Siri movie ticket sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debreeze39 View Post

It will not download to my 5th generation iPod touch says I'm not connected to the Internet and I'm home using all other devices on the same Wifi net work anybody else having this issue bare in mind that my iPhone and iPad downloaded the update and I started them all at the same time

Im having the same issue with my iPod Touch 5th gen. I dont know how to fix it.

• Reply 22 of 74
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    All fine and dandy these versions; what I wanna know is:
    1. when is my iPhone going to connect over LTE in my country,
    2. what speed gains can I get,
    3. will a software upgrade make it compatible with a 800MHz band,
    4. will it support SVLTE (Simultaneous Voice and LTE) or VoLTE (Voice Over LTE),
    5. which provider supports which bands,
    6. what does "UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 4 and 17)" [for North America GSM] or UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5) [for GSM International] actually mean?

1. Don't know.
    2. Speeds vary but you won't be disappointed.
    3. If it doesn't already have the HW for it no firmware update will make it work.
    4. (For the first part) Not with the iPhone due to the antenna setup; (For the second part) Not right now and chances are you'll hear about some other vendor's phone having this capability in your country before the iPhone gets it.
    5. You'll have to ask the provider, cross-check with phones they currently sell, or perhaps it's listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#Europe
    6. It means your iPhone 5 will only ever work on bands I, III, and V for LTE which are detailed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths
  • Reply 23 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

This should be 6.0.3, not 6.1.

How underwhelming. Now all those posts advertising open iOS software engineer positions at Apple makes sense; evidently, iOS has a total of two engineers and one intern doing all development work if all they came up with in a x.1 update are these measly features.

That BB10 is looking hotter and hotter by the day...

God, what a mind-numbing post. Yes, because obviously Apple isn't working on another major iOS update behind the scenes, right? iOS7 is rumored to be the biggest iOS overhaul since inception. But clearly this .1 update is what Apple is and was hiring everyone for, right? This 6.1 has been in beta for a long time, and we already knew what it did and did not include. No sane person expected major new features. Please jump to BB10 when it releases and save us from more of your tiresome, trollish, childish posts. 

• Reply 24 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Indeed; perhaps 6.0.2.1 would be even more appropriate.

What an absolutely IRRELEVANT release - two of the main featured changes are country-specific and very limited in their usefulness (Fandango who?), while the other refers to the even-less-relevant iTunes Match.

As for "advertising" reset, I don't even know what that means and how it works.

It seems like we need yet another revolution at Apple.

Unbelievable. Why don't you list us some thing were were expecting for this 0.1 release? Another revolution? I guess I missed the part under Steve Jobs where these kinds of point releases included major new features or something. Oh wait, that was never the case. DO you think that just MAYBE Apple is working its ass off on the next major release of iOS? Do you realize iOS6 was released barely 3 months ago? Please jump to another platform like the other guy, although you'll soon realize that's how updates work with any company. Grow up. 

• Reply 25 of 74
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Is fandango still around? Are there people who pay over the retail price for movie tickets when you can get them in Costco discounted by a third?

Yes. People with no Costco near where they live. Where I live Fandango is actually cheaper than the price at the theater.

• Reply 26 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Indeed; perhaps 6.0.2.1 would be even more appropriate.

What an absolutely IRRELEVANT release - two of the main featured changes are country-specific and very limited in their usefulness (Fandango who?), while the other refers to the even-less-relevant iTunes Match.

As for "advertising" reset, I don't even know what that means and how it works.

It seems like we need yet another revolution at Apple.

Yeah I miss the days when there was a lot of excitement for new iOS releases, even between major versions.  There used to be some really fast paced cool stuff coming out a couple of times a year, generating a lot of buzz.  

I REALLY hope Apple has something great cooking for iOS 7.  I think this is where the real magic can happen this year.  I, of course, expect to see the usual bump in iPhone, iPod, and iPad specs but I don't think there's anything revolutionary that can be done in hardware yet.  We don't want 5" screens on phones, LCD resolution is already insanely high, connector was just updated.  Any hardware updates are going to be minor bumps to processor and camera.  Making a great iOS 7 will make all iOS devices more attractive.

My Wishlist:

Redesigned notification center

Redesigned application screen with a better way to move, organize, delete, launch, and resume apps.

Full 3rd party Siri and maps integration.

Call block options. 

Allow apps to enhance core phone functionality ,incoming/outgoing calls, D-N-D, calendar, keyboard, text messaging, phonebook, settings.  

Dropbox like sync for documents, pictures, videos, etc on iOS devices between computer and/or other iOS devices.  Direct, not through iCloud

Direct app distribution outside of iTunes.  Maybe through email or URL.  Still has to be digitally signed from an Apple registered developer.

Basically, blow away Android OS and make iOS the clear winner in every category.

• Reply 27 of 74
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm fairly new to iTunes Match. I've not been too thrilled with it as I think we discussed previously. Then at some point after that there were duplicate items on my iPhone but not in iTunes and playlists that were correct in iTunes would be missing many tracks on the iPhone. I had to wipe my iPhone and start from scratch to fix the issue.

Not perfectly implemented but a great idea. I am also fairly new to the service so I didn't realize that this was a returning feature as Apple][ points out. For us (family) it has simplified things a lot. Now our library is in the cloud and everyone takes what they want from that library. For 27 bucks per year its a great service. Now with individual song downloads its gotten a little better. Overall I am super pleased with the service.

• Reply 28 of 74
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Just FYI: the Advertising Identifier reset button is buried way down in Settings -> General -> About -> Advertising.  

There's also an on/off switch for the "Limit Ad Tracking" setting.

• Reply 29 of 74
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

A question: Is anyone experiencing random buzzing, when there's nothing to precipitate it, since installing iOS 6.1?  

My phone randomly buzzes, but it's not on vibrate to begin with.  And when I check, there are no new texts, calls, mails, nothing.  Am I the only one with this issue?

• Reply 30 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Yeah I miss the days when there was a lot of excitement for new iOS releases, even between major versions.  There used to be some really fast paced cool stuff coming out a couple of times a year, generating a lot of buzz.  

I guess you remember history differently than I do, but I don't recall when this was ever consistently happening. The most significant front facing change between major releases that i recall was the addition of camera access from lock screen. What exactly is this 'excitement' and 'fast-paced' stuff you're referring to that used to happen? Or is this another case of revisionist "it was better under SJ" history? Apple always waiting until the next major release to add highly asked for changes/features. 

• Reply 31 of 74
    debreeze39 wrote: »
    It will not download to my 5th generation iPod touch says I'm not connected to the Internet and I'm home using all other devices on the same Wifi net work anybody else having this issue bare in mind that my iPhone and iPad downloaded the update and I started them all at the same time
    Same thing for me. I've tried restoring, using iTunes to get the update, and OTA, nothing works.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Bug fixes: let's hope they fixed the browser lockup and stalls.

No need to fix a bug that doesn't exist accept for Google search counts. 3/10 on the troll meter.

• Reply 33 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

This means that the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 will finally be released. I'm happy, my iPad will be jailborked again, meaning I'll be able to capture mirrored analog video from it once more.

Dream on. The bozos trying to jailbreak iOS 6 are long on talk and posturing but short on delivery.

• Reply 34 of 74
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    vaelian wrote: »
    This means that the untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 will finally be released. I'm happy, my iPad will be jailborked again, meaning I'll be able to capture mirrored analog video from it once more.

Dream on. The bozos trying to jailbreak iOS 6 are long on talk and posturing but short on delivery.

A release was promised for when iOS 6.1 GM was released, to prevent the security hole from getting fixed. Since iOS 6.1 is now public, they can now release the jailbreak. Do you have any evidence to support your claim that this information is inaccurate?

This is not to mention the fact that iOS 6 was promptly owned at pwn2own through a remotely exploitable security hole.
  • Reply 35 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I guess you remember history differently than I do, but I don't recall when this was ever consistently happening. The most significant front facing change between major releases that i recall was the addition of camera access from lock screen. What exactly is this 'excitement' and 'fast-paced' stuff you're referring to that used to happen? Or is this another case of revisionist "it was better under SJ" history? Apple always waiting until the next major release to add highly asked for changes/features. 

I didn't say consistently or front-facing.   Sometimes even the little things make for an anticipated version.

Some examples:

1.1.1: Home button double-click

1.1.1: TV out

1.1.1: new calculator app

1.1.3: new apps for iPod touch

1.1.3: GPS-like functionality using WIFI

1.1.3: rearrange home screen icons

1.1.3: SMS front end updates

1.1.3: multi-touch keyboard

2.1: indicator updates, lots of SMS enhancements, EXIF photo data in emails

2.2: street view, share location, maps cache, app store categories, lots of other stuff

There were other huge lists of updates in iOS 1,2,3, and 4 minor versions, you can look it up.  Things slowed down a lot in 5, and 6.  Part of the reason is a lot of the little updates and enhancements in the early minor versions were because there were a lot of flaws and complaints in the beginning.  So the updates were lots of small things but highly anticipated.

Things have slowed down probably in part because iOS has matured, but to me it makes the energy and pace of iOS feel slow and stagnant.  I've seen too many companies with mature software just sit on it and loose the excitement and energy of the early days.  Apple needs to spark it back up again with big updates and hand out some nice nuggets during the in-between months too.

• Reply 36 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

This should be 6.0.3, not 6.1.

How underwhelming. Now all those posts advertising open iOS software engineer positions at Apple makes sense; evidently, iOS has a total of two engineers and one intern doing all development work if all they came up with in a x.1 update are these measly features.

That BB10 is looking hotter and hotter by the day...

Go for it. I dare you.

• Reply 37 of 74

Quote:

I didn't say consistently or front-facing.   Sometimes even the little things make for an anticipated version.

Some examples:

1.1.1: Home button double-click

1.1.1: TV out

1.1.1: new calculator app

1.1.3: new apps for iPod touch

1.1.3: GPS-like functionality using WIFI

1.1.3: rearrange home screen icons

1.1.3: SMS front end updates

1.1.3: multi-touch keyboard

2.1: indicator updates, lots of SMS enhancements, EXIF photo data in emails

2.2: street view, share location, maps cache, app store categories, lots of other stuff

There were other huge lists of updates in iOS 1,2,3, and 4 minor versions, you can look it up.  Things slowed down a lot in 5, and 6.  Part of the reason is a lot of the little updates and enhancements in the early minor versions were because there were a lot of flaws and complaints in the beginning.  So the updates were lots of small things but highly anticipated.

Things have slowed down probably in part because iOS has matured, but to me it makes the energy and pace of iOS feel slow and stagnant.  I've seen too many companies with mature software just sit on it and loose the excitement and energy of the early days.  Apple needs to spark it back up again with big updates and hand out some nice nuggets during the in-between months too.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I only started using an iPhone after 3.x, and didn't notice any changed between major updates.

Another thing to consider is that every change is now a much heavier decision for Apple, as iOS is being used by hundreds of millions of people on an increasing number of devices, so much more time, caution and care much be given if a change is to be made. I assume Apple would rather take these risks and transitions during a major release. 

• Reply 38 of 74

Quote:

I REALLY hope Apple has something great cooking for iOS 7.  I think this is where the real magic can happen this year.  I, of course, expect to see the usual bump in iPhone, iPod, and iPad specs but I don't think there's anything revolutionary that can be done in hardware yet.  We don't want 5" screens on phones, LCD resolution is already insanely high, connector was just updated.  Any hardware updates are going to be minor bumps to processor and camera.  Making a great iOS 7 will make all iOS devices more attractive.

My Wishlist:

Redesigned notification center

Redesigned application screen with a better way to move, organize, delete, launch, and resume apps.

Full 3rd party Siri and maps integration.

Call block options. 

Allow apps to enhance core phone functionality ,incoming/outgoing calls, D-N-D, calendar, keyboard, text messaging, phonebook, settings.  

Dropbox like sync for documents, pictures, videos, etc on iOS devices between computer and/or other iOS devices.  Direct, not through iCloud

Direct app distribution outside of iTunes.  Maybe through email or URL.  Still has to be digitally signed from an Apple registered developer.

Basically, blow away Android OS and make iOS the clear winner in every category.

I 100% agree with the need for call blocking options. For unknown reasons, suddenly I'm getting all kinds of e-mail, texts and calls that are cluttering up my phone. I'd love to block these with a vengeance.

• Reply 39 of 74
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I don't know what people are bitching about. It's a point update to iOS 6 not a major release, some of the people here seemed to expect a feature set update close to a new version of iOS.
  • Reply 40 of 74

Just noticed in Maps they now have a very large button that says "Report a Problem". This is a good sign. I'll have to see if some of the more popular Maps location screw-ups have been fixed...