Apple TV software update adds Bluetooth keyboard support, hints at new hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    saarek wrote: »
    Still no App Store....... Come on Apple, the Apple TV would be do much useable (especially outside of the US) with an App Store!

An App Store in a point update with no App Store ecosystem, SDK, or anything else to make the feature a working service?
  • Reply 22 of 64

I use a Windows machine. Since the Sept update, I cannot stream more than one song or video without restarting iTunes. My brother in-law receive on for Xmas. He returned it once he discovered the same problem. I have read numerous accounts on the web of people with the same problem. It worked great for a year. Then the Sept update and the problems began.

• Reply 23 of 64
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    ifij775 wrote: »
    If they don't release the next AppleTV update with downloadable apps, I don't think they should even bother.

Why? You can AirPlay almost any games apps from your iPad or iPhone and stream audio and video as well. What would you use as a controller? Your iPhone/iPad? But You have those apps on there in the first place. Funny 'bout that. Think about it.................. What apps would you need on your ATV? Your grocery list?
  • Reply 24 of 64

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Still no App Store....... Come on Apple, the Apple TV would be do much useable (especially outside of the US) with an App Store!

Why do we have to go over why this doesn't make sense again?

• Reply 25 of 64
    cloud30000 wrote: »
    I was thinking about buying an aTV a couple months ago, but the lack of Amazon Instant Video support as well as Amazon not having a license to stream from an iOS device made me decide against it.

That's too bad for you, then.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    djames4242 wrote: »
    In fact, once Apple released this app (about a hundred years ago), I put away the little remote that came with the thing and haven't used it since.

If you're using an Ethernet connection (e.g., as some people prefer, so that 1080p does look like 1080p) you'll need the original remote.
  • Reply 27 of 64

Looks like Apple is getting closer to upping the ante on their Apple TV strategy. BT keyboard support presages additional good stuff coming down the pipeline?

• Reply 28 of 64
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Does this include streaming iTunes Match from iCloud?

Is there something particularly useful about 'streaming' from the Cloud as opposed to being able to play the music on iTunes Match from the Cloud (as we currently can)? I am trying to understand the question.....
  • Reply 29 of 64
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I would have assumed it already could do BT typing. Guess not. Good addition.

A little $30 BT mini-keyboard by the couch would be tempting, just for easier searching.

Whatever this new version is... I'm in! Time to finally get an AppleTV and be able to stream video from my iPhone 5. AppleTV doesn't cost all that much more than the Lightning Digital AV cable after all. And does much more.

I've got one of those Apple BT keyboards that should come in handy for Netflix.

Apple really needs to do something with the AppleTV. It's so far less capable than other solutions out there in terms of access to other content. We need apps for Amazon video and Hulu. Other boxes do much more with many more channels.

I still prefer the AppleTV for ease of use, but seriously Apple has not done much with AppleTV. Are they afraid people will use it as a $100 computer?

• Reply 30 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I have a PS3 and a Roku for Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and several more channels along with Plex and Playback for streaming content from my Macs. Does the Apple TV not allowing using an iPhone or iPad's keyboard for search now? A BT keyboard could also be useful, but using your iPhone as a remote and also to search for titles would seem to be even easier. Is this not possible now?

Obviously for Netflix you could just just open the app, search for a title then add to your instant queue, but is it possible to do that directly from the Apple TV screen?

I also wonder if Apple will ever open up a bit to add more channels. Roku has tons of private channels to choose from like CNN, Vevo, TuneIn, SyFy, Pandora, Weather, and even Facebook. Apple TV would be a lot more useful with more content.

I have a recent Apple TV plus the PS3 and Roku like you. The Apple TV only gets used for airplay at this point. I use the remote app on the iPhone or iPad mini to control the main iTunes library on a mac mini and choose the Apple TV as output if I'm in that room.

That is still more use than the PS3, which is collecting dust with the few Bluray and DVDs I still have not tossed. The Roku just beats the Apple TV senseless with the third party apps (channels). I even like the Roku remote better.

I suspect the Apple TV could compete if they opened it up, but for now Roku is the better value by far.

• Reply 31 of 64
    Is there something particularly useful about 'streaming' from the Cloud as opposed to being able to play the music on iTunes Match from the Cloud (as we currently can)? I am trying to understand the question.....

I wasn't aware that was a possibility. I have my iTunes account linked to my Apple TV and only when I have songs loaded locally in iTunes does the Music option appear above Movies, TV Shows, etc. Perhaps there is an iTunes Match settings I haven't seen (or remembered).
  • Reply 32 of 64
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please do. I can see it not making sense in some cases, but not in all cases.

• Reply 33 of 64

I wouldn't be surprised if the addition of iCloud and BT are the first steps toward some kind of game controller. Currently, there aren't many games that allow for airplay and I'd rather not see the controls on the screen if they did. A traditional controller would be better.

• Reply 34 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wasn't aware that was a possibility. I have my iTunes account linked to my Apple TV and only when I have songs loaded locally in iTunes does the Music option appear above Movies, TV Shows, etc. Perhaps there is an iTunes Match settings I haven't seen (or remembered).

This is it exactly.  I haven't seen it first hand, but based on the description it allows those of us that *don't* have iTunes match, to stream that content that we have legal rights to in iTunes.  This will be good for me since I haven't seen any reason to get iTunes match yet, but I have tons of purchased albums, shows, etc.   

You also are currently unable to stream or re-download purchased content in the desktop version of iTunes either which always struck me as pretty weird.  

If I have a problem with a track in iTunes, I have to delete it from my phone, re-download it from the cloud, then "transfer my purchases" to iTunes on the desktop.  This is annoying because I have to actually get out a freaking WIRE, walk my phone into the computer room and connect the two together to do this.  

• Reply 35 of 64
    Joy
  • Reply 36 of 64
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    "hints at new hardware"... better be understatement of the year.
    We need "mind blowing, revolutionary new ATV hardware", and we need it yesterday.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Explain how an Apple TV with a dedicated games store and tactile, bluetooth controllers with a much crisper response rate than video mirroring doesn't make sense? Multitouch work for some kinds of applications, but it's clearly not suited to everything.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Im betting those of us that have a ATV3 realize that something big is coming down the pike sooner rather than later...

The cries and chants for more features isn't going unheard, just don't expect it on our boxes maybe??

Someone asked about the remote app on the iPad, iphone, touch etc. Yes, it works great for me...on all my devices and lets you search on it instead of the supplied remote - ugh...

The app is where its at. I have two ATV's and like how they are named and can access them from the app. Pretty cool.

Someone else mentioned "tedious" re-entering your password...??? I did it once -- in the app or in the device itself.

One feature I'd like to share that I think is worth noting. Some buddies were over at my place - one had his Mac Laptop - he wanted to play some music on his mac and play it thru ATV and my receiver. Since he had my WIFI code - he just hit the Apple TV icon in itunes on his laptop -- and his music played thru my Apple TV thru my Pioneer Receiver -- no passwords needed - clean...We like that!!! :))
  • Reply 39 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldrover View Post

I use a Windows machine. Since the Sept update, I cannot stream more than one song or video without restarting iTunes. My brother in-law receive on for Xmas. He returned it once he discovered the same problem. I have read numerous accounts on the web of people with the same problem. It worked great for a year. Then the Sept update and the problems began.

This makes even less sense.  What does ... "My brother in-law receive on for Xmas."  mean exactly?  

Even if I take "on" as meaning "one," it can only refer to a "Windows machine"since you can't get updates for Xmas and grammatically, you're referring to the sentence immediately previous.  So you want us to believe that your brother got a brand new Windows computer, but discovered it didn't stream iTunes content as well as he'd like and ditched the entire machine as a result?  (without trying to find out what the problem even was BTW)

That's just crazy talk.  

I mean it's hard to know what you're even talking about here.  Are you on iTunes match?  Are you trying to stream from the cloud without it? (because up until today it didn't work that way).  Or are you not talking about Windows computers at all and rather are talking about AppleTV?  If it's Apple TV ... again, before today it didn't work that way unless you have iTunes Match.  

Finally, if you're talking about iTunes Match, then yeah... I've heard it's not ready for prime time also and that there are lots of bugs, but that isn't what the article is about and isn't anything to do with the streaming that we are talking about as a result.  

• Reply 40 of 64
    gazoobee wrote: »
    You also are currently unable to stream or re-download purchased content in the desktop version of iTunes either which always struck me as pretty weird.  

If I have a problem with a track in iTunes, I have to delete it from my phone, re-download it from the cloud, then "transfer my purchases" to iTunes on the desktop.  This is annoying because I have to actually get out a freaking WIRE, walk my phone into the computer room and connect the two together to do this.  

Unless I'm not understanding your post (which is entirely possible today), in iTunes go to iTunes Store and on the right side of the window click on Purchases. You should be able to see everything you've ever bought.