Users experiencing issues updating 5th-gen iPod touch to iOS 6.1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Owners of Apple's latest iPod touch are experiencing issues updating to the newly released iOS 6.1 software update.

iOS error
Fifth-gen iPod touch users receive this error updating to iOS 6.1 (via user "_Eric_"

Users began posting in Apple's Support Communities website on Monday following the release of iOS 6.1 to share the problem. Some with the fifth-generation media player have received an error that says the system is "unable to verify update."

"iOS 6.1 failed verification because you are no longer connected to the Internet," the error reads, even though users are connected to Wi-Fi. The notification gives users the option to close the prompt or try again.

Those posting on Apple's support website indicated that the error continues to pop up, even if the iPod is connected to an external power source when the update is initiated.

The problem was also apparently a part of the iOS 6.1 beta Apple issued to developers on Saturday. Though that software was not identified as a "golden master" to developers, it ended up being the same update provided to the public on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    A strong WiFi connection does not mean you are connected to the internet. You can be connected to a wifi router to exchange files around computers, phones and tablet, without needing a connection to the internet.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Craig Federighi should be fired ¡""/s

• Reply 3 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by astonmartindb9 View Post

A strong WiFi connection does not mean you are connected to the internet. You can be connected to a wifi router to exchange files around computers, phones and tablet, without needing a connection to the internet.

True but if you notice in the image they did successfully download the update so they were probably connected to the Internet moments before this message appeared and chances are good that they are still actually connected.

• Reply 4 of 28
    I never update iOS devices over the air. I prefer syncing with iTunes via USB cable. It's the only way to be sure.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Exactly, although as MStone says they had to have been at one point. I have always thought they should have two different icons ... 1) You are connected to a Router but no Internet and 2) You are really connected to the Internet.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I agree with astonmartindb9. Basic troubleshooting of your network is always a good idea when running into trouble. People also install stuff or small hacks that may prevent the update from performing properly. I did something with my old iPhone that prevented my voicemail indicator from working properly. Turned that hack off and my voicemail indicators came pouring in.

That being said, I did the OTA update over my home wifi with zero issues. Everything updated as it should have.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    iOS 6.1 deleted all my messages on my iPhone. I now have to restore from iCloud (the backup was yesterday ... sigh)
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Steve jobs made mistakes to. Anyone remember the iPhone 4. It didnt actually open to rave reviews. People were kind of underwhelmed especially by the death grip. Steve's response... Your holding it wrong :/. If people make mistakes they learn. You just spent a whole lots of money teaching them a lesson. so don't just fire them. Use them.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I never update iOS devices over the air. I prefer syncing with iTunes via USB cable. It's the only way to be sure.

I love the OTA delta updates. Haven't had an issue with them yet.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Contrary to what some commenters suspect, this is NOT a user error or Internet connectivity issue. There is a problem with the update package Apple is distributing for fifth gen iPod Touches.

As the article says, iOS devs (I'm one) were unable to install the update over the weekend. The update doesn't work via over-the-air or iTunes updating/restoring.

Weird that nobody at Apple caught this before public release, when there is a thread at their own dev forum stating that nobody with a fifth gen Touch is able to update.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Where are the headlines about Apple passing Exxon to be largest market cap company again? Only news when they lose number one position?

AAPL 422.14B
    XOM 415.40B
  • Reply 12 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Where are the headlines about Apple passing Exxon to be largest market cap company again? Only news when they lose number one position?

AAPL 422.14B

XOM 415.40B

Don't bring facts into an emotional argument.

• Reply 13 of 28
    Don't bring facts into an emotional argument.

LOL
  • Reply 14 of 28
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I tried to update my iPod touch 5th gen using iTunes and that didn't work either. This issue has something to do with Apple server authentication and/or the build itself.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    iOS 6.1 deleted all my messages on my iPhone. I now have to restore from iCloud (the backup was yesterday ... sigh)

First off, you should always do a backup&sync b4 update. ...Which iPhone? I updated my iphone 5 and have all my messages intact, no issues at this point.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Just updated my iPhone 5 here from work. Zero issues, I was a bit concerned at first when I had to log back into iCloud, feared the worst - but all is well.

Granted, I don't have an iPod Touch 5 to try it out on...
  • Reply 17 of 28

I got the exact same error message on both my devices, an iPhone 4th gen and an iPad 3rd gen. Upon clicking "Try again" several times it eventually worked. Probably the authetication server at Apple's end is over-loaded?

Anyways, the point is that the issue not limited to 5th gen iPod touches, but it affects all my iOS devices too. And there is nothing wrong with the Wifi connection, it works for other devices connected at the same time.

• Reply 17 of 28

Word on the Apple dev forum is that the issue has been fixed -- at least with over-the-air updates.

• Reply 19 of 28
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimshamalong View Post

Word on the Apple dev forum is that the issue has been fixed -- at least with over-the-air updates.

Yes. Mine is updating OTA. Looks like it was a server side issue since the update is being done on the same previous download that didn't work.

• Reply 20 of 28

Just confirmed for myself that the update is now working on fifth gen Touches -- both OTA and in iTunes.