Steve Jobs' 'fruitarian' diet put 'jOBS' actor Ashton Kutcher in hospital

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a talk after the premiere of the Steve Jobs biopic 'jOBS,' Ashton Kutcher said that he suffered a health scare in preparing for the title role as a result of adopting the late Apple cofounder's fruit-only diet.

Kutcher as Jobs
Ashton Kutcher plays late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs in jOBS. | Source: jOBS

According to Kutcher, the all-fruit diet lead to pancreatic problems so serious that he was prompted to visit a local hospital for treatment, reports USA Today.

"First of all, the fruitarian diet can lead to like severe issues," Kutcher explained. "I went to the hospital like two days before we started shooting the movie. I was like doubled over in pain."

Those who have seen the film's first screening said it suggests Jobs was a proponent of the diet.

"My pancreas levels were completely out of whack. It was really terrifying ... considering everything," Kutcher added, alluding to the pancreatic cancer that ultimately took Jobs' life on Oct. 5, 2011.

Other than taking on Jobs' diet, Kutcher prepared for the role by studying hours of Steve Jobs footage to replicate the tech guru's mannerisms, including a hunched-over walk and unique speech cadence.

Directed by Joshua Michael Stern, jOBS takes place over the defining 30 years of Jobs' life, including pivotal moments in Apple history such as the launch of the first Mac and the iPod.

The film has garnered mixed reviews with critics, but Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak went on record as being somewhat critical of the characters' authenticity.

After having a well-received premiere at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, jOBS is schedule to open nationwide on April 19.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    "My pancreas levels were completely out of whack. It was really terrifying ... considering everything," he added, alluding to the pancreatic cancer that ultimately <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/05/apple_co_founder_steve_jobs_dies">took Jobs' life</a> on Oct. 5, 2011.

He seems to have some sort of delusions of grandeur as if having facial features like Jobs makes them kindred spirits.

"The actor and the entrepreneur had personal similarities, Kutcher said. "We both have a ravenous interest in the tech space."

"He's a guy that failed and got back on the horse," said Kutcher. "I think we can all sort of relate to that in some place in our life where we are moving forward with something and we fall down. You have to have the guts to get back up and go again. I think I share that as well."

"Kutcher, 34, has said he considers Jobs his most personal film to date."

http://www.t3.com/news/ashton-kutcher-believes-he-was-meant-to-play-steve-jobs

He said: "He believes the role was meant for him," and will "prove to the world that this is the right part for him.”

"The physical resemblance is actually scary, but he himself connects with this man in a very significant way. Of course he’s a big techie. He has a personal affinity to what Steve Jobs accomplished.
    Ashton is a much more intense individual than a lot of his current roles represent. We are feeling convinced that he’s gonna nail this.”

So now with the Pancreas trouble, he's practically Steve reincarnate.

He's got that RDF nailed down at least.

It seems like this is just an attempt to drum up publicity for the movie but either way, it's in very poor taste. Steve died from cancer, not from eating too much fruit.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Interesting to say the least

But didnt Jobs say on record that he ate more than just fruit? I could be wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    File under schadenfreude but this is the first time I've been happy about Kutcher taking this role.
  • Reply 4 of 60

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

But didnt Jobs say on record that he ate more than just fruit? I could be wrong.

Yep. He loved sushi, for example. But for a time in the '70s, that's all he tried to do. Emphasis on 'tried'.

Hopefully Kutcher wasn't stupid enough to emulate Jobs' attempt at not showering, but since he WAS stupid enough to do this…

• Reply 5 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yep. He loved sushi, for example. But for a time in the '70s, that's all he tried to do. Emphasis on 'tried'.

Hopefully Kutcher wasn't stupid enough to emulate Jobs' attempt at not showering, but since he WAS stupid enough to do this…

Do you know that the Japanese are about 40 years away from running out of fish? I know I know, citation needed. I saw it on a documentary. Can't remember the name of it.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Pancreas level? Um, what? (Stares blankly) Is that a thing?

"Pancreas level" sounds like something Dr. Nick Riviera would say.
  • Reply 7 of 60

Quote:

"First of all, the fruitarian diet can lead to like severe issues," Kutcher explained. "I went to the hospital like two days before we started shooting the movie. I was like doubled over in pain."

Kutcher speaks as if he was like, some teenage girl who like, was texting someone.

• Reply 8 of 60
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I call BS until I see some hospital paperwork
  • Reply 9 of 60
    God, this movie is gonna s u c k
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Haha! Kelso, you = no Steve Jobs. Shouldn'ta quit your day job: being Demi Moore's mid-life crisis toy.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

Kutcher speaks as if he was like, some teenage girl who like, was texting someone.

Like OMG!  I thought the same thing, fo' reelz.  Word?

Ugh.

On a serious note, I can't decide if I want to see this movie or not.  It lost a bit for me when Woz said it's nothing like what really happened.  Guess we'll see.  And I can guarantee you it's going to be hard for me to see Kutcher as Jobs, I still see him as Kelso when I'm watching 2 1/2 men.

• Reply 12 of 60

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do you know that the Japanese are about 40 years away from running out of fish?

Bah! You can't run out of fish. 

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"Hi, everybody!"

"Hi, Suddenly Newton!"

"Oh, no! Your pancreas level is too low. We'll have to amputate!"

• Reply 13 of 60
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It seems like this is just an attempt to drum up publicity for the movie but either way, it's in very poor taste. Steve died from cancer, not from eating too much fruit.

I'm no doctor and I don't want to disrespect SJ memories, but he died from complication of pancreatic cancer which is the organs who control sugar assimilation.  As healthful fruits can be, a 100% sugar regime is not healthy, we need just as much proteins and fats in our alimentation, everything is a question of quantity and diversity, fail one and you will see the hospital often.  Any radical regime is bad for you in the long run.

• Reply 14 of 60

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I'm no doctor and I don't want to disrespect SJ, but he died from complication of pancreatic cancer which is the organs who control sugar.  As healthful fruits can be, a 100% sugar meals are not healthy, are body need just as much proteins and fats.  Any radical regime is bad for you in the long run.

Thankfully fruit isn't "100% sugar" and he wasn't a fruitarian for very long, so it very probably wasn't responsible.

• Reply 15 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Bah! You can't run out of fish. 

Only if you're Jesus
  • Reply 16 of 60
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Interesting to say the least

As written in Walter Isaacson SJ bio, in his college's years, he's been on a farm for 2 years eating only apples, making it his favourite fruit and why he choose this name for his first company. 

• Reply 17 of 60
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pancreas level? Um, what? (Stares blankly) Is that a thing?

Or Dr. Leo Spaceman.

• Reply 18 of 60
    jOKE
  • Reply 19 of 60
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    welshdog wrote: »
    Or Dr. Leo Spaceman.

Perhaps we need to consult an analyst and therapist such as Dr. Tobias Fünke the worlds first analrapist.

[VIDEO]

So excited this show is coming back in a few months. Best sitcom ever!
  • Reply 20 of 60
    welshdog wrote: »
    Or Dr. Leo Spaceman.

That's Doctorb with a "b". The b is for brilliant!