Apple's current stock price doesn't reflect iOS 'stickiness,' analyst says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

I don't see how this can happen.  My phone will switch from iMessage to SMS if the other phone turns off iMessage or even if they are in a bad reception area and iMessage can't go through.  I have many conversations where I will have a few SMS messages innner mixed with my iMessages

iMessage just needs to be turned off before you migrate to another phone, or you get this behavior. Something to remember before you sell your iPhone.

• Reply 22 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    teejay2012 wrote: »

Here is how you fix:
    1. Turn on iPhone (hope you kept it)
    2. Turn off iMessage on the iPhone
    3. Turn off iPhone

If you get frustrated with something this simple, heaven help you and your wife on Android.
    Something to remember before you sell your iPhone. Turn off iMessage!

The Nokia 920 is a Windows phone.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

Just sign into iCloud and remove those phone numbers from iMessage. How is Apple supposed to know you switched phones like that? Just learn to maintain your information. You don't get mad at Facebook for telling your friends your address didn't change after you moved do you?

• Reply 24 of 41
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Nokia 920 is a Windows phone.

Lol, thanks Dasanman I needed the laugh.  The poster is saying turn off iMessage BEFORE you get rid of your iPhone.  I guess it is hard to idiot proof things.

• Reply 25 of 41
    tkell31 wrote: »
    Lol, thanks Dasanman I needed the laugh.  The poster is saying turn off iMessage BEFORE you get rid of your iPhone.  I guess it is hard to idiot proof things.

Well his wife did have a iPhone and switched to a Nokia 920 which TeeJay2012 assumed was a Android phone.
  • Reply 26 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not what I want to hear but what I've repeatedly said on here. It's not a far stretch of the imagination that anyone that's invested in a platform long enough will not leave it regardless of what the competition may bring.

I am sure Microsoft thought the same about Apple at one point. We have no clue who the competition might be 5 or 10 years from now. While I don't buy into the Apple is going to crash and burn, in fact I just bought more stock the other day lets remember when you have the top position there is only one place to go.

• Reply 27 of 41
    I am sure Microsoft thought the same about Apple at one point. We have no clue who the competition might be 5 or 10 years from now. While I don't buy into the Apple is going to crash and burn, in fact I just bought more stock the other day lets remember when you have the top position there is only one place to go.

Last I checked MS still has a pretty sizable marketshare. MS is in decline more due to their own missteps than anything else. The big switch from MS to Apple started innocently with the iPod and only sped up with the iPhone/iPad.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    I don't see how this can happen.  My phone will switch from iMessage to SMS if the other phone turns off iMessage or even if they are in a bad reception area and iMessage can't go through.  I have many conversations where I will have a few SMS messages innner mixed with my iMessages

For regular SMS messages, person to person, it does kind of work - it delays messages around 5 minutes before the first one gets through.

For group messages, it just doesn't ever work.

Result = frustrated user
  • Reply 29 of 41
    jkichline wrote: »
    Just sign into iCloud and remove those phone numbers from iMessage. How is Apple supposed to know you switched phones like that? Just learn to maintain your information. You don't get mad at Facebook for telling your friends your address didn't change after you moved do you?

The "address" didn't change. The telephone number is the same...

And the iPhones are set to SMS if you cannot sent an iMessage.... so the bug is in the iPhone not sending the SMS in group chats.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    iMessage just needs to be turned off before you migrate to another phone, or you get this behavior. Something to remember before you sell your iPhone.

Yes, well we know that now.

Not exactly obvious until you've worked it out.

Thankfully we had the iPhone still here and put her new SIM back in and then turned iMessage off.

Apple should really have a web site to do this - what if the phone was broken and we replaced it. What if it was stolen? Etc...

I DID log into the Apple support website where the phone was shown as being registered and DE-registered it which I would EXPECT to remove it from iMessage, but no, that didn't work either.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    jkichline wrote: »
    Just sign into iCloud and remove those phone numbers from iMessage.

Where is this in iCloud. I've just checked in case it was here... but cannot see any such option.
  • Reply 32 of 41

Here is how you fix:
    1. Turn on iPhone (hope you kept it)
    2. Turn off iMessage on the iPhone
    3. Turn off iPhone

If you get frustrated with something this simple, heaven help you and your wife on Android.
    Something to remember before you sell your iPhone. Turn off iMessage!

You forgot step 4, which is your friends have to reboot their phones too... else they still try iMessaging.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    ifij775 wrote: »
    I've wondered how much content will a person really buy from Amazon if they are going to buy one of the cheapest tablets out there. What happens to Amazon if they only use it to download free apps and surf the web?

They'll make it up in volume 8-)

But seriously... that's one concern I've had about Amazon ever since the original Kindle Fire.

They're not making much money (if any) on the Kindle Fire hardware. So they are counting on people buying music, movies, apps and games to offset that.

Are they?

Then again... Amazon sells a ton of ebooks... which are tiny files which cost almost nothing to transmit. And Amazon earns $3 from every $10 ebook they sell.

Maybe Kindle ebooks are the big thing... and all the apps and games are just filler.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    That logic only makes sense if you wanted to take all your apps with you to a new phone. The majority of apps people have are games, but games have a limited time that they are actually used before being replaced with newer games. So it doesnt matter if someones spent $200 on apps, $180 of them arnt used any more anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    timgriff84 wrote: »
    That logic only makes sense if you wanted to take all your apps with you to a new phone. The majority of apps people have are games, but games have a limited time that they are actually used before being replaced with newer games. So it doesnt matter if someones spent $200 on apps, $180 of them arnt used any more anyway.

Then perhaps you have a different explanation as to why iOS user retention is so much higher than Android user retention.
  • Reply 36 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeJay2012 View Post

Maybe this is true, but I don't know.... My dad switched from an iPhone to Android and my messages switched seemlessly to SMS with him.  I doubt he turned iMessage off because he isn't that into stuff like that.  He got the 3G for free a couple of years ago and when his contract was up got the Galaxy S2 for free.  Didn't care about either phone just wanted something free.  So I don't think he would be the type to think of going in and switching iMessage off.

• Reply 37 of 41
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    This is for all the people who think that the big investors hold on to AAP

Who%u2019s behind Apple%u2019s (AAPL) months-long selloff? Hedge funds get plenty of pointed fingers. How about starting with boring old mutual funds %u2014 like those run by American Funds, among the staidest of them all?

The $113 billion Growth Fund of America (AGTHX) %u2013 the third-largest in the mutual fund industry, according to Morningstar %u2013 dumped something like $3 billion worth of the stock during the fourth quarter, according to portfolio disclosures. Apple had been this fund%u2019s top-weighted stock, at 4.2%.

But Growth Fund%u2019s position of more than seven million shares, worth $4.8 billion as of Aug. 31, fell to less than 1% at the end of the year, when its 1.9 million shares were worth a little over a billion dollars. The selling happened at some point between Apple%u2019s fourth-quarter price swing as high as the low $700s and as low as $505. The fund%u2019s annual report, dated Oct. 8, touted Apple%u2019s 72.9% total return as one of 20 top holdings to produce %u201Cvery satisfying results.%u201D The top-weighted stock is now Amazon.com (AMZN), at roughly 3.8%.

AFP/Getty Images

An American Funds spokesman didn%u2019t immediately comment.

The story is similar at the $52 billion Fundamental Investors A (ANCFX), whose third-largest stock position as of June 30 was a 1.9 million- share stake in Apple worth approximately $1.1 billion dollars, about 2.3% of the portfolio. This stake fell to about 934,000 shares worth nearly half a billion dollars at year end, or about 1% of the portfolio.

Amcap Fund (AMCPX), another growth fund, this one with $25 billion under management, reduced its stake to 360,000 shares last quarter, or 0.75% of assets as of Dec. 31, from more than twice that, a position worth north of half a billion dollars, or more than 2% of the portfolio, as of Aug. 31.

The $7.9 billion New Economy Fund (ANEFX), where you%u2019d presumably expect a strong opinion on the subject, also dropped Apple, and it picked up Facebook (FB). This fund held a 0.26% sliver of the portfolio in Apple as of Dec. 31 and a 0.84% Facebook weighting. That%u2019s versus a 4% Apple weighting at May 31
  • Reply 38 of 41
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

They'll make it up in volume image

But seriously... that's one concern I've had about Amazon ever since the original Kindle Fire.

They're not making much money (if any) on the Kindle Fire hardware. So they are counting on people buying music, movies, apps and games to offset that.

Are they?

Then again... Amazon sells a ton of ebooks... which are tiny files which cost almost nothing to transmit. And Amazon earns $3 from every $10 ebook they sell.

Maybe Kindle ebooks are the big thing... and all the apps and games are just filler.

This...

Everyone I know who has a Kindle or Kindle Fire uses it primarily for eBooks, then media (movies, music), and games are indeed just filler.  Even web browsing is secondary.  

And indeed they don't make money on hardware.  Nor do they care to.  In fact, I don't think they even care if someone buys a Kindle as opposed to an iPad, as long as they're buying stuff from Amazon.  

• Reply 39 of 41
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not what I want to hear but what I've repeatedly said on here. It's not a far stretch of the imagination that anyone that's invested in a platform long enough will not leave it regardless of what the competition may bring.

When you find something better, it's not that hard to move on.

A lot of us had a TON of money invested in our WinMo phones.  Remember, apps were usually $10 to $20 each and up.  

As for the stickiness factor, there seem to be more people than ever moving between phone and OS brands.   Reminds me a bit of how the same thing is happening with people moving between religions.   Everyone's looking for the perfect fit, that makes them happy.

• Reply 40 of 41
    kdarling wrote: »
    When you find something better, it's not that hard to move on.

A lot of us had a TON of money invested in our WinMo phones.  Remember, apps were usually $10 to $20 each and up.  

As for the stickiness factor, there seem to be more people than ever moving between phone and OS brands.   Reminds me a bit of how the same thing is happening with people moving between religions.   Everyone's looking for the perfect fit, that makes them happy.

That might be fine if it was just a phone, but now it's a tablet, a laptop, a desktop, and Apple TV. Many people own all of these or a combination.