Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced it has launched a new 128-gigabyte model of the fourth-generation iPad with Retina display, doubling the previous maximum capacity offered.

iPad

The 128-gigabyte version of the fourth-generation iPad are available starting Tuesday, Feb. 5 in black or white. They will have a suggested retail price of $799 for the Wi-Fi-only model, while the cellular-capable model will sell for $929.

Apple's 9.7-inch iPad lineup now extends to four different capacities, starting at 16 gigabytes for the entry-level model. The smaller iPad mini still tops off with a 64-gigabyte model.

The announcement of the new iPad model comes only a few days after it was discovered in the newly released iOS 6.1 software update that Apple had included references to a new iOS device with a storage capacity of 128 gigabytes. Previously, the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad lineups all maxed out at 64 gigabytes.

"With more than 120 million iPads sold, it?s clear that customers around the world love their iPads, and everyday they are finding more great reasons to work, learn and play on their iPads rather than their old PCs, said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs."

In announcing the new 128-gigabyte iPad, Apple boasted that virtually all of the Fortune 500 and over 85 percent of the Global 500 currently deploy or test the iPad. It noted that companies use large amounts of data, including 3D CAD files, X-rays, film edits, music tracks, project blueprints, training videos, and service manuals.

Aside from the higher storage capacity, the new 128-gigabyte iPad with Retina display is unchanged from the previously released fourth-generation models. It includes the Apple-designed A6X processor, a 9.7-inch Retina display, and forward facing FaceTime HD camera.

Apple also noted the iPad runs over 800,000 apps available on the App Store, including more than 300,000 apps designed specifically for iPad, from a wide range of categories including books, games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel. iPad also supports the more than 5,000 newspapers and magazines offered in Newsstand, and the more than 1.5 million books available on the iBookstore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 261
    Gross Margin increase !!
  • Reply 2 of 261
    Wow that came out of nowhere. That article Sunday about the 128 GB capacity showing up in 6.1 was surprising and for them to release it so soon after a rumor pops up was even more surprising. That must be that doubled down secrecy.
  • Reply 3 of 261
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    Wow, sneak attack!
  • Reply 4 of 261
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I need a 128GB iPod or iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 261
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I hope by the iPad 5, Apple drops the 16GB model and make the 32GB the entry model at $499.
  • Reply 6 of 261
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I hope by the iPad 5, Apple drops the 16GB model and make the 32GB the entry model at $499.

That would seem reasonable. I can't imagine the price for 16GB today is the same as it was in 2010 when the iPad first came out.

• Reply 7 of 261
    128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong, but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 261
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The bigger news here is the future and ongoing rippling down price reduction at the lower end.
  • Reply 9 of 261

I am deeply impressed by how it came out of (nearly) nowhere. I'll bet that at least 10% of all iPads sold will be in this category. That will be a huge margin increase for Apple in the next couple of quarters. And, @TV's Bluetooth easter egg presages some pretty good stuff in the next couple of motnhs.

If they can get their iMac supply problems sorted out, watch out, shorts.....

• Reply 10 of 261
    Great! The redesigned iPad 5 is gonna be awesome in everyway...can hardly wait.
  • Reply 11 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlm8283 View Post

128 GB is great, but the cost is gonna keep me away. I can afford it don't get me wrong, but why pay for something that in about 6 months it will be obsolete with the new new iPad.

A lot of corporations, fortunately, disagree with you.

• Reply 12 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

That would seem reasonable. I can't imagine the price for 16GB today is the same as it was in 2010 when the iPad first came out.

You do realize that there is more than storage capacity there, right? image

• Reply 13 of 261
  • Reply 14 of 261

Very, very smart.  There are many who will buy the most storage capacity available, even if they never use all of it.  Apple must have done their analysis to figure out the demand for this.

Could also be the first step towards rationalizing the product line.  Retina mini iPad with 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB.  Retina big iPad with 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB.  Or, something like that.  Kind of like the Macbook Pro line.

• Reply 15 of 261

I need that. It's actually amazing how fast storage memory gets hoggled up when you have N versions of multiple multimedia projects...

• Reply 16 of 261

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sorry bout that happy fingers. Yes businesses and yes apple corporations and any corporations for that matter would disagree with me, but I'm talking about the consumer. Now there will probably be the elite few 1% of the consumer population that will get it just to say that they have it.

• Reply 17 of 261
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlm8283 View Post

I think the cost is reasonable. It's double the storage for only 100 bucks more. I'd say that's pretty good deal. 

• Reply 18 of 261
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    No pricing or updated info on the Apple UK site......
  • Reply 19 of 261

Cramer is an IDIOT- clueless about product

"Apple does not need incremental" ... "needs new product" ... what a dummy -   Dell was 1 product, apple phones, pads, computers - that most people in the world want.

Msft - operating system, word/excel .. / x box -

Apple destroys 3 categories - phones pads computers - AND THE SOFTWARE - AND THE ECO -

CRAMER IS SO STUPID

• Reply 20 of 261
    Does anyone else find it really weird that no other site at all including apple's is even speaking of this? Legit much?