Apple partner Philips exits consumer electronics business

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Philips Electronics, which has been in the consumer market for more than 80 years, announced Tuesday that it has sold off the remnants of its consumer-oriented business.

In addition to being a key component supplier and partner for Apple, the company has also sold its own electronics over the years in an attempt to compete with Apple, Samsung, Sony and others. But that business has been a money loser for Philips, prompting the company to sell its audio, video, multimedia and accessories businesses to Japanese company Funai Electric, according to The Wall Street Journal.

hue

Philips is believed to have supplied LED flash modules for Apple's iPhone over the years. In addition to offering lighting products, Philips is also primarily a medical equipment manufacturer.

Last year, Philips and Apple also partnered exclusively to offer app-controlled "hue" lightbulbs at Apple's retail stores. Dubbed "the world's smartest LED bulb," the product allows users to control their lights, including what color they display, through an iOS application. The hue is made by Philips' lighting division, and will not be affected by the restructuring.

Last year, Philips was also one of the first companies to announce a series of speaker docks and clock radios compatible with Apple's new Lightning connector. Such consumer-oriented devices will now be handled by Funai.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Quite sad to read really. I had a Philips kettle and toaster and they were both extremely well made and beautifully designed. The kettle was award-winning for its energy efficiency and design.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I'm surprised more hardware companies haven't declared defeat to software-based devices
  • Reply 3 of 30
    It is sad as it looks like Philips does not make TVs anymore also?

I hope my two 6 year old philips TVs survive until the Apple TV comes out?
  • Reply 4 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

Quite sad to read really. I had a Philips kettle and toaster and they were both extremely well made and beautifully designed. The kettle was award-winning for its energy efficiency and design.

Household appliances are manufactured by a different Philips group. That group isn't affected by this announcement.

• Reply 5 of 30
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

I hope they don't close their Research lab in Briarcliff Manor NY.

That place has come up with all sorts of inventions over the years.

(For example, they have several 2003-4 patent applications in that are related to inertial touch scrolling.   One was referenced in an Apple patent for disappearing scrollbars.   Imagine if Philips got their patents and everyone else had to pay them... or give up some forms of flick scrolling.)

• Reply 6 of 30
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    ifij775 wrote: »
    I'm surprised more hardware companies haven't declared defeat to software-based devices

WHAT? And you think software companies know anything about designing hardware? Trust me, I speak from experience here, most software engineers don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold onto.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

WHAT? And you think software companies know anything about designing hardware? Trust me, I speak from experience here, most software engineers don't know which end of a soldering iron to hold onto.

Apple is a software company...at least they say they are. As Steve Jobs always said, people who are really serious about software also want to do their own hardware. 

• Reply 8 of 30
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It is sad as it looks like Philips does not make TVs anymore also?

I hope my two 6 year old philips TVs survive until the Apple TV comes out?
    They sold off their TV business about a year ago.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Anyone know if this includes Norelco as well?
  • Reply 10 of 30
    macxpress wrote: »
    Apple is a software company...at least they say they are. As Steve Jobs always said, people who are really serious about software also want to do their own hardware. 
    Again, no, Apple is both, and started out as a hardware company. It's in their DNA.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

So what exactly will be axed in terms of products?  Does this mean no more Hue?  I was about to get a starter kit.

• Reply 12 of 30
    macxpress wrote: »

I have limited experience with Phillips, but a few years ago, I bought my dad a DVD recorder made by Phillips. It had the WORST user interface imaginable. It looked like a DOS and Linux engineer decided to make a UI and spruce it up with crude cartoony icons to hide the DOS-like nature. And it was slow and cumbersome. Apple appreciated great user interface design and makes a point of making it smooth and responsive. It matters.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

As Steve Jobs always said, people who are really serious about software also want to do their own hardware. 

Historical note:

Jobs borrowed "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware", from Alan Kay, who helped invent everything from OO languages to GUIs to tablets.

Another famous Kay quote is, "The best way to predict the future is to invent it. "

And, "If you don't fail at least 90 percent of the time, you're not aiming high enough."

• Reply 14 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Again, no, Apple is both, and started out as a hardware company. It's in their DNA.

But they say they're a software company, not a hardware company.

• Reply 15 of 30

Hi,

I work for Philips and just want to make it clear, Philips hue is sold by the Philips lighting division, not by our consumer division and is not impacted by today's announcement. 

Thanks,

Silvie Casanova

• Reply 16 of 30
    They don't say they are anything. Steve is dead.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Philips: the inventor of the audio cassette.

• Reply 18 of 30

Originally Posted by chris.com View Post

Anyone know if this includes Norelco as well?

It better not. I've no intention of either going Amish or shopping for a new brand.

They don't say they are anything. Steve is dead.

Well, his argument is soundly defeated¡ ????

• Reply 19 of 30

This is limited to the audi/video part of the Philips business. The kitchen equipment, lighting equipment, shavers, toothbrushes and all the Healthcare is not affected by this. Philips sold its North American TV business to the same company a few years ago

• Reply 20 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Boohoo, cry my a river.