Final Cut Pro 3 woes :(

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Using Final Cut Pro 3, when re-opening a project with sequences and clips that were previously rendered, I get thge message in a pop-up box: "Movie file "SEQUENCE-1-FIN-000000007" cannot be found. Without this file the movie cannot play properly". The program goes through its standard attempt to reconnect 'render' and 'offline' files with no success. Options are "Cancel" or "Search". After I do the search, I get an exclamation point type error message "File Error: Unknown File".

I go and search the render files, and all the render files (even the one with that name) are greyed out and cannot be selected. The project has somehow lost the "connection" to it's render files, and won't open properly, and at this point I get a pop-up "general error" after a sequence of messages which are described above. These files whose connections were lost were FCP3 movies (not self contained) which were imported into a new sequence.

Do I need to re-install FCP3, starting with Quicktime again? Or is there some way to re-access the render files? Just lost 2 days worth of work...this dysfunction occurs in both 0S9 andOSX (the project was backed up on 2 hard drives and the behavior occurs in the backup as well)

I already tried a fresh start by trashing the FCP Pro prefs and the quicktime prefs. The only thing that improved was to give back FCP3's ability to create mpegs.

The computer is a dual 1gHz G4, OSX 10.1.4, OS9.2.2, 1GB RAM

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Samantha Joanne Ollendale ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    If they're the render files that are missing, can you not just re-render them?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]If they're the render files that are missing, can you not just re-render them?<hr></blockquote>

Unfortuately when the project does open, the clip (which was a FCP exported movie, non-self- contained) which was the render sequence, is completely empty and in its place on the canvas appears the message "no media".

My only option is to recover and re-render the original movie as a new sequence so that I can re-import it. I am wondering if I should do this as a self contained FCP3 exported movie, because I am scared the same thing is going to happen again and cause yet more hours of wasted time. I am creating a complex moving menu which involves importing sequences into a timeline (for DVD Pro)....

but that's yet another issue...grrrrrrrrr

btw...I have been into 2-POP and the Apple forum..and haven't got a specific answer to this...yet.

• Reply 3 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    <a href="http://www.2-pop.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.2-pop.com/</a>;

they will likely be more helpful than people here
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]btw...I have been into 2-POP and the Apple forum..and haven't got a specific answer to this...yet.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]http://www.2-pop.com/ they will likely be more helpful than people here<hr></blockquote>

Thats why I am posting this in here...I haven't had a response from 2POP...as of yet...