Microsoft's Surface Pro to ship with as little as 36% of advertised storage available to users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 153
    handquake wrote: »

With the ability to truly multi-task, to not just mirror but dedicate external monitors to different things, run any full blown windows software, expand storage any number of ways (USB flash or HD, SD), easy connection of peripherals, parrot with Apple TV, run mobile apps with an Android emulator, play .iso files, use external burner, Microsoft Office.....the list just goes on and on.

Sounds great. Where can I get one like the one you seem to already have? /s

Laughable.
  • Reply 22 of 153
    I am still loyal to Mac, but any who says this thing doesn't beat the crap out of an iPad simply have their eyes closed.

My eyes are open and it seems to me a more appropriate comparison is to a MacBook Air not an iPad. How do you view that comparison?
  • Reply 23 of 153

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In what way? I've never known any OS to incorrectly state how much space it's using and how much is remaining. If anyone has been dubious it's been the drive vendors.

In that they report gibibytes as gigabytes. There's no "GiB" anywhere; it's "GB".

The drive vendors have reported their capacities correctly forever. I used to think that, too; turns out it's the OS' that are wrong.

• Reply 24 of 153
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

This is just plain silly. They could have curbed it by adjusting the advertised storage. Most consumers realize that the space available for their files is less than the advertised capacity, but no one would expect that much bloat. I'm curious what makes the installation so large.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Irregardless of how

• Reply 25 of 153
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Windows 8 doesn't sound like bloatware at all

There are few things you can uninstall from a standard Win 8 built but that's not going to make a dent in what is being called bloatware here. I doubt there is any of the standard pre-installed bloatware that PC OEMs use to supplement their razor thin margins. MS doesn't' allow that on the OEM PCs they sell in their stores and I doubt there is any on the Surface products.

What we're seeing here is less of an eating disorder and more like a pituitary gland issue. Win8 is huge. Bottom line. Even the Surface RT with a considerable amount stripped from it is a giant. Frankly I think they messed up when they didn't redesign Win Phone 8 for their Surface RT product but that's there decision and I'm sure they had good reasons for it.
  • Reply 26 of 153

Apparently I am the only person in the world who does these things, Admin.

But I do in fact do a lot of them pretty regularly on my Air because I can't on my iPad. Now I'll be able to.

Admins here sneer at positives when they can't find a hole in a discussion. How.....adversarial.
  • Reply 27 of 153
    In that they report gibibytes as gigabytes. There's no "GiB" anywhere; it's "GB".

The drive vendors have reported their capacities correctly forever. I used to think that, too; turns out it's the OS' that are wrong.

GB and GiB are much more clear as they can't as easily be confused but BASE-2 GiB is an IEC standard and GB is a JEDEC standard. Drive makers use the SI standard for BASE-10. if you want to blame MS then you also have to blame Apple and everyone else. Even with the change in Lion to use BASE-10 for Finder they still use BASE-2 in Disk Utility and lower areas of the system. You can open About This Mac to see your RAM presented as the JEDEC standard.
  • Reply 28 of 153
    My eyes are open and it seems to me a more appropriate comparison is to a MacBook Air not an iPad. How do you view that comparison?

Seems more fair.....which to me still seems like a prollem. I am going to own a slate of some sort. I'm just waiting for someone to point out the advantage of an iPad over this, ultimately.
  • Reply 29 of 153
    Sounds great. Where can I get one like the one you seem to already have? /s

Laughable.

Don't have one, yet.

Did You find a mistake in any of the capabilities I listed vs. the iPad?
  • Reply 30 of 153
    And for the record.....I didn't bring up the iPad vs. this. Apple did in it's 128 gig iPad press release.
  • Reply 31 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There are few things you can uninstall from a standard Win 8 built but that's not going to make a dent in what is being called bloatware here. I doubt there is any of the standard pre-installed bloatware that PC OEMs use to supplement their razor thin margins. MS doesn't' allow that on the OEM PCs they sell in their stores and I doubt there is any on the Surface products.

What we're seeing here is less of an eating disorder and more like a pituitary gland issue. Win8 is huge. Bottom line. Even the Surface RT with a considerable amount stripped from it is a giant. Frankly I think they messed up when they didn't redesign Win Phone 8 for their Surface RT product but that's there decision and I'm sure they had good reasons for it.

Yes they did have a good reason.  It's called internal politics.

• Reply 32 of 153
    Seems more fair.....which to me still seems like a prollem. I am going to own a slate of some sort. I'm just waiting for someone to point out the advantage of an iPad over this, ultimately.
    • Less expensive
    • More usable space
    • Apps designed for the iPad's performance and display size, unlike the Surface.
    • Cellular options
    • Lighter and thinner
    • Much longer battery life
  • Reply 34 of 153
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    sflocal wrote: »
    If Apple pulled a stunt like this, Apple would get skewered by the public.

Yet for some strange reason, the iHaters and trolls are nowhere to be found on this subject. Hmm...

They were just not as swift to react as mHaters and aHaters and trolls...
  • Reply 35 of 153
    sflocal wrote: »
    If Apple pulled a stunt like this, Apple would get skewered by the public.

Yet for some strange reason, the iHaters and trolls are nowhere to be found on this subject. Hmm...

They do. Every Apple product you've bought with a HDD, SSD, or on-board NAND has always listed the capacity of the HW, not of the remaining space afar the OS was installed. The only difference is that Mac OS X is much smaller in size.
  • Reply 36 of 153

Does it come with free virus protection popup advertisements? 

• Reply 37 of 153
    solipsismx wrote: »
    • Less expensive
    • More usable space
    • Apps designed for the iPad's performance and display size, unlike the Surface.
    • Cellular options
    • Lighter and thinner
    • Much longer battery life

True....let's go through them one by one.

Less expensive....it is

More usable space......it's expandable.....really no limit and at only 25 a pop for 32 gig.

Apps.....it's running full Windows. Love or hate MS, everything that works on a PC for the last 10 years will work....and with an i5 processor and 4000 graphics, I think it is prolly quite a bit more powerful than an iPad for just a couple hundred more.

Cellular options......handy...but my iPhone is a hotspot.

Lighter and thinner......true.....but not dramatically so.

Battery life....there in lies a true rub. I'd want 6 hours but the difference will probably be significant.
  • Reply 38 of 153
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    jragosta wrote: »
    OS X and iWork would take up less than 15 GB. Recovery partition is another 3 or 4, IIRC.

Windows is undeniably on the chubby side here, but still... not that chubby; clean install of Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit is in vicinity of 20GB, or just a bit below. Win 8 Pro should take a bit less. Office 2013 Pro 64-bit full install is about 1.2GB on my PC. On Surface, those two should take between 20 - 22GB. Where is missing storage and how much of it can be recovered by uninstalling junk and deleting recovery partition, that remains to be seen.
  • Reply 39 of 153

Wonder which will suck more?

A.  The "jOBS" movie

B.  The entire Surface product line

C.  All of the above

• Reply 40 of 153
    It's really ok Windows users are accustomed to being ripped off by Microsoft. They want even notice.