59% of iPhone users spend more than $100 per month on carrier bills

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

If transit should be free and managed by the state, shouldn't cell phone use be free to?   Well at least for 47% of the people? 

We will only be a free and equal country when everyone has an unlimited data plan, right?

That's a debatable question, but not one with a clear cut answer, and definitely not one solvable on AppleInsider...

It could be argued that your (sarcastic) affirmation happens to be true.

1- If the people of America decide to elect a President on that demand alone, who would you be to say they're wrong? It's democracy.

2- If the costs involved with offering unlimited data plans to everyone are affordable through fair and efficient use of taxes (which remains to be proven), it seems clear that it's a better option than expensive data plans for everyone through unfair rates and inefficient use of the legal system (which is currently, according to the data presented earlier, the case in America in the telecom industry).

I happen to believe that a limited data plan for free for everyone, paid for through taxes, and a commercial offer on top of it for customers with needs, probably is the best possible situation, but I understand that people might disagree. My solution, obviously, would allow productive people to be more efficient, engender a richer and more open country, and enhance freedom of speech (for better and for worse). It does mean that some losers out there get free service while offering absolutely nothing in exchange, which seems to be so horrible to the average american that they'd rather go for a suboptimal situation for everyone than allow Joe Drunk to have the basic health/public transportation/communication needs covered.

• Reply 42 of 71
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Good for you sincerely :D

As an aside, it raises questions on a system where, apparently, some people who "got lucky" have a great deal, paid for by the people who "did not get lucky".

Doesn't exactly fit with the "to each according to their merit" dogma, but then again, dogma and reality never seem to go along ^^

Actually I am pretty sure Sprint is still making a nice profit off of me at only $50 a month, just not as big as their regular $79 a month customers for similar plans.

There are also plenty of other options like Pageplus, Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, Ting, Boost Mobile and many others that offer plans from $25 to $60 for nearly unlimited everything and some allow an iPhone as well. They don't own their own towers or networks and just pay the big 4 carriers to use their networks. Even as middlemen companies they are far cheaper than the big 4 and everyone is making a profit presumably or they wouldn't be doing it. That tells me that the big 4 can make a profit for far less than what they charge and a lot of that cost is in the phone subsidy.

• Reply 43 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Actually I am pretty sure Sprint is still making a nice profit off of me at only $50 a month, just not as big as their regular $79 a month customers for similar plans.

There are also plenty of other options like Pageplus, Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, Ting, Boost Mobile and many others that offer plans from $25 to $60 for nearly unlimited everything and some allow an iPhone as well. They don't own their own towers or networks and just pay the big 4 carriers to use their networks. Even as middlemen companies they are far cheaper than the big 4 and everyone is making a profit presumably or they wouldn't be doing it. That tells me that the big 4 can make a profit for far less than what they charge and a lot of that cost is in the phone subsidy.

Yes, that definitely sounds sensible!

Still, I'm happy I can run my iPhone on 15€ a month, and have spent (iPhone comprised, latest model when bought) a global 1200 euros over the last three years... Pretty sure it beats most iPhone owners in the US :D

• Reply 44 of 71

But, Sir, as you say, you are one "special" customer with a special plan not available to new customers.

Here one can do a pretty good deal as a new customer. The really bad deals does not exist here.

the "problems" mostly concern coverage.

It all boil down to Telia was the AT&T of Sweden, they were given the job by the government to

supply the whole country with a cell phone system in the 80's....They had to cover the entire country.

Sweden, like the US is A LOT of territory which is...wilderness - nobody lives there. They fixed

coverage anyway... at a cost of course. And Telia was 25% more expensive in those days.

When the cellphone-boom came around 95, new companys formed. They ONLY built their masts

where people lived. In this way Sweden is llike Canada 85% lives within 100 miles of the american border....

Up north in both canada and Sweden theres mmostly emptiness.

These new players (Tele2, 3, Comviq, Europolitan etc) stated that they covered 98% of the POPULATION....

Which meant that they only cobered 50% of the territory....

For many years (I still think this is the case) that Telia is good everywhere, the others if you live in an urban area...

• Reply 45 of 71
    In other news, water is wet.
  • Reply 46 of 71

I had the original iPhone with ATT and I just felt I was ripped off every month. I switched to Sprint and am saving about $15/mo. In Oct. I will be switching either to the Walmart cell plan or the Cricket plan with an iP5.

These POS carriers are gouging us! :)

• Reply 47 of 71
    What I learned is we pay about $129 for two phones -- one is an android "smart" phone and the other some kind of blackberry without the data plan.
    The Android is OK for streaming music or GPS but nothing sexy -- with T-Mobile. I think they are ACTUALLY unlimited but there's no way you could stream enough to hit a cap.

So I could have had an iPhone for the POS I've been dealing with? All "smart phone" data plans are expensive. At least we don't have the total ripoff that was "texting" to deal with (most expensive product per ounce on the planet).

Either I should just jump in with an iPhone, or I should sell smart phones because it's a better business than drug dealing. And seriously, the Android phone experience (a MyTouch) is totally underwhelming.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Which is why I will never give up my grandfathered plans.  Im also shocked at how much the typical American is paying for their cellular service.  I was with AT&T from 2004 to 2010.  During that time my bill was pretty much always $39.99 for 450 anytime minutes + $15 for 1000 text messages.  It was until 2009 with AT&T that I even started using a data plan of any sort.. and that was mainly because I switched from a Blackberry 8810 to an iPhone3GS.  I remember distinctly wondering if the extra $29 a month for unlimited data would even be worth it.  Even with all that I had a 15% company discount.. meaning my bill with taxes was never above $80 a month.

As soon as the iPhone arrived on Verizon, I switched over.  Mainly because AT&T's signal was inconsistent and their simply was no reception at my job.  Everyday I would get a bunch of text messages when I left the building for lunch.. at the end of the day to head home.  Now that I've switched over to Verizon my bill isnt much different.  In fact its cheaper.  $39.99 for 450 anytime minutes + $10 for 500 messages + $29.99 for unlimited data.. with a 20% company discount means my bill is right around $70 a month including all taxes.  I now have the iPhone5 so I get 4G/LTE speeds.. and Verizon doesnt cap/limit/throttle their "unlimited" customers like AT&T does.  My Verizon iPhone works at my job.. and pretty much everywhere else.  And of course Facetime works over cellular and I've never been *warned* for tethering.. even though I do it without paying extra for it.  All things that would be a negative if I stuck with AT&T.

As much as I would like to leave Verizon to try StraightTalk.. or some other, cheaper middle-man carrier.  I'm just afraid it wont be worth the $20 savings a month.  Until then Im sticking with my iPhone5 and Verizon LTE for the next couple of years.  As the catch about Verizon's unlimited plan.. is that you cannot keep the plan and get a discounted rate on a new subsidized phone.  Want a new phone?  Then you have to pay full price for it.. or get the discounted price and switch to a tiered/shared plan.

• Reply 49 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Daekwan wrote: »
    Which is why I will never give up my grandfathered plans.

In case you aren't aware you aren't actually grandfathered into those plans. They can decide to eliminate plans at any time. To be clear, even if you were under a contract they still have that power to alter a plan, but it would also nullify the contract which would mean you wouldn't owe an ETF if you decided to switch carriers. I assume you have been out of your plan for a long time now. That said, it really behooves them to keep happy customers happy so long as they are using dozens of GB a mount on an unlimited data plan… like I was doing, which is why AT&T knocked me off my off-contract unlimited plan.
  • Reply 50 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In case you aren't aware you aren't actually grandfathered into those plans. They can decide to eliminate plans at any time. To be clear, even if you were under a contract they still have that power to alter a plan, but it would also nullify the contract which would mean you wouldn't owe an ETF if you decided to switch carriers. I assume you have been out of your plan for a long time now. That said, it really behooves them to keep happy customers happy so long as they are using dozens of GB a mount on an unlimited data plan… like I was doing, which is why AT&T knocked me off my off-contract unlimited plan.

It's one of the big issues with that type of business. If you give the business the ability to act as they do, they rip people off the way we see. If you don't, they can't adapt and may die.

I don't think there is a solution... but I'm not too disquieted about the ability of ATT execs to drive expensive cars. I hope one of them owns a Tornado.

(Come on, come on... Tornado... De la Vega...)

• Reply 51 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

But no issue, please remain convinced of being right and keep paying ten times what I pay for the same service.

Ah yes, good advice coming from someone who argues tooth and nail from a flawed position.

• Reply 52 of 71
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

In other news, water is wet.

Not always. 

• Reply 53 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colper View Post

I'm one of the lucky 34% that still has unlimited data with AT&T (was a iPhone user way back when, and they have never made me change my plan), but I think paying over $100 is murder. Just like Cable TV they get away with it because its nearly a Monopoly. In this day and age of technology, I would have hoped that prices would have dropped. "Overuse" of data is not what's bogging down the lines, AT&T and Verizon have both admitted that they still have plenty of so-called horsepower, they just want us to think that its limited like Crude Oil.

I was one of the "lucky" ones with "unlimited data" with AT&T. Then they started throttling my data after 2GB, to the point that it became completely unusable. I was paying $90/month, not exactly a bargain. I filed complaints with the FCC and the PUC, which went nowhere. And then I figured if I'm going to get crap service I might as well PAY for crap service. Switched to StraightTalk, and I'm now paying $30/month for unlimited calling, unlimited texting (including international, which AT&T had the gall to charge me extra for, on top of any text after the 200th), and 2GB of data. Screw you, AT&T. Never again.

• Reply 54 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Wow that's a lot. In France we have packages at 30+15 euros for internet router + tv + unlimited calls on landline + unlimited everything on mobile.

It's 16 euros for the first mobile line if you're already a Free customer. The second line will cost you 20 euros (granted, it's still a bargain).

And it's not "unlimited everything". International text messages are charged at exorbitant rates (1 text message from France to the UK: 25 euro cents), and data is throttled after 3GB. There are also massive complaints from people who are accessing the network through Orange's towers (Free needs to supplement its mesh of transmitters and signed a roaming agreement with Orange, which is severely throttling data for Free customers for a reason that has not been made public yet).

Not that I'm complaining -- I signed up for their $20/month plan which ends up costing me considerably less than my former pay-as-you-go Virgin Mobile plan for my frequent trips there.

• Reply 55 of 71

When I was with Rogers (2 years ago), I was paying $136.50/month (taxes in) and that gave me 6GB, 1000 minutes of talk time, + all the regular features.

I finally dumped them and moved to Wind Mobile (no contract) where I have been paying $46.50/month for unlimited everything (data is throttled after 6GB) the last 2 years and as a result of my lower bills, I can now afford to outright buy a new phone every year and still have enough left over for a couple of fine dining experiences. 

I run my own business and I have not had any issues with my calls either (at least while in the city) and I've been quite happy with it.  I think lots of people buy into the FUD that the big carriers spread and they end up locking themselves into terrible contracts.  I don't think I can ever go back to that as it seems like I would be throwing my money away.

• Reply 56 of 71
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planck View Post

Seems like Cell Phones in US means high prices and

pretty rotten data-traffic.

"But my iPhone only cost me $199 - what a great deal!" /s

• Reply 57 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

People seem to totally ignore the rest of the resources that each message takes.  It's like saying a package to me sent from halfway around the world should only cost as much as the last few feet, or even be free because the postman drives by every day anyway.

The cell tower comms are the smallest part of an SMS transfer, just like the postman is the last small part of the mail.  And even those small parts have a cost.

It's only true in a very restricted sense; if the cell companies sold SMS services independently on 2-way pagers, they would have to charge for it. But their added cost to the carrier compared to a voice subscription is virtually nil, in other words, SMS are pure profit for a telco, just like charging extra for call waiting, caller ID and 3-way calling.

• Reply 58 of 71
    Sure when you have many iPhones. I pay 160 a month for 5 iPhones. On att.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    itrnitrn Posts: 4member
    If you are part of the 59%, let me show you how to get out and never have a phone bill!!

http://www.solavei.com/infotechrn
  • Reply 60 of 71
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Holy crap!

I pay $50 a month for 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends, unlimited sms/mms, 6 GB data, $0.10/min long distance, call ID and voicemail.

Before I found this deal, I was at $65/month for the same thing minus discounted long distance.

What are people doing to hit the $200 mark?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I pay about $70/month for 450 minutes, 250 txt messages, unlimited data (grandfathered from POS Android), 18% off from work. How can anyone spend $200 on an individual phone plan

Nothing said they were spending $200 for an individual plan.

If they are spending $200, they very likely have more than one phone on the plan.