Format a Mac :::

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I format a Mac, using the Mac OS X disk?

also, do I install OS X, then install OS 9 for classic?

how does OS X detect where OS 9 is installed & use it for classic?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]How do I format a Mac, using the Mac OS X disk?<hr></blockquote>If you start up from the CD, once you get to the Installer screen, go to the Installer menu and choose Disk Utility. From there, select your drive from the left column and choose the format options in the tabs on the right. When finished, simply close the window and you'll return to the installer.

[quote]also, do I install OS X, then install OS 9 for classic?<hr></blockquote>For most people, it's easier to install OS9 and then OSX, but the order really shouldn't matter.

[quote]how does OS X detect where OS 9 is installed & use it for classic?<hr></blockquote>It's magic.

Seriously, though, it just looks for any valid OS9 system folders. If you have multiple system folders on the same drive or spanning across different drives/partitions, you can use the Classic pane in OSX's System Preferences to determine which one OSX will use.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Very precise! Exactly what I was looking for!

I'm gettin' my mac soon so I wanna dissect it thoroughly the 1st day/night I get it ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    [quote]Originally posted by Badtz:

<strong>(...) also, do I install OS X, then install OS 9 for classic?(...)</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think the only difference is a message like "no 9.x available" if you first install x with no 9.x on your hd.

but thats ok - boot from a 9.x cd and install it.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: peve ]</p>