Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple later this year is expected to launch a new 9.7-inch iPad that will become thinner and lighter by using the same touchscreen technology as the iPad mini, according to a new report.

iPad

The details were published on Thursday by DigiTimes, which has a spotty track record but has been known to receive advance word of Apple's potential product plans from component suppliers. Like the current iPad mini, the next-generation 9.7-inch iPad will reportedly feature what is known as "G/F2 (DITO) thin-film type" touchscreen technology.

Switching to a G/F2 touchscreen will allow the fifth-generation iPad to be thinner and lighter than the current fourth-generation model, which uses a glass-on-glass touchscreen assembly.

Apple's alleged plans to use "DITO" technology in the next iPad is said to signal that the company believes it has "more adequate supply." Thursday's report indicated that Apple is likely to choose G/F2 technology over a "one-glass-solution," or OGS.

Apple has reportedly tapped Japan's Nitto for thin-film materials and Nissha Printing for touchscreen modules; while Taiwan's TPK will handle lamination; and LG Display and Sharp will reportedly supply display panels. Together, they are expected to be able to supply as many as 5 million units per month.

Adding support to the DigiTimes report is the fact that analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities reported late last year that Apple would switch the touchscreen technology on its next iPad to G/F2. Kuo said that Apple plans to "dramatically lower the eight and thickness" of its 9.7-inch iPad in a hardware refresh set for this year.

While reports stemming from unnamed sources out of Apple's supply chain are questionable, Kuo has a respectable track record in predicting Apple's future product plans.

Apple's anticipated iPad update is not expected to arrive until later this year, as just this week the company gave an unexpected update to the current fourth-generation model in the form of a new high-capacity 128-gigabyte model. The new high-end iPad will go on sale next Tuesday and will cost $799 for the Wi-Fi-only model, and $929 for a cellular-capable variety.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    G/F2? DITO? DIGITIMES? GTFO!
  • Reply 2 of 38

*phew* Thought it would be fatter, heavier.

I guess the display really is the last possible place to squeeze thickness out of these devices. Unless, of course, we start stacking PCBs and making them thinner, making more room for the battery… but then we have to deal with the board's components melting each other.

• Reply 3 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I was just about to say "Awesome", but then read the first line- Digitimes- and stopped.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Get ready for those that complain about it getting thinner and that they'd rather have the battery life.  I wish Apple would release a 7" thick iPad with battery life that can last 14 days for video and 3 years standby just to see if those fools would buy it.

• Reply 5 of 38
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

I guess the display really is the last possible place to squeeze thickness out of these devices. Unless, of course, we start stacking PCBs and making them thinner, making more room for the battery… but then we have to deal with the board's components melting each other.

Actually the display is the first place to look to squeeze thickness.  Most of the weight and thickness is the battery and for example IGZO panels can save up to 80% power, so thinner batteries can be used.

If I understand this correctly, the could use both DITO touch and IGZO panels for optimal performance. I like the mention of Sharp in there, they are the ones owning IGZO. Another interesting thing about IGZO is you could put a solar panel behind it and have a device that could be charge by ambiant light.

• Reply 6 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    DITO plus IGZO?

DITO instead of IGZO?

C'mon you journalists, make some phone calls.

Ok, maybe you're not journalists.

And what's with the knee-jerk DigiTimes comments? At least they give you something to chew on, and they get SOME things right. Be grateful for the crumbs you have. It's a slow news period. Do some research on IGZO vs. DITO. Sheesh.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Some people may mock further thickness/weight reduction, but I certainly wouldn't. I think every mm and every gram is critical, so that these things can be used in the largest amount of situations feasible, especially so that they can be held for long periods of time with little effort, which in many industries would be required. ie. hospitals etc. After getting used to the iPad mini, the iPad feels like a complete beast weight wise- a full sized iPad with a weight close to the mini would be incredible.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The only saving grace of this rumor is that KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo has said the same thing. No on trust Digitimes anymore. Not that Digitimes is releasing faulty information but rather their reports cannot faithfully be linked to shipping product. I'm sure a lot of what they get wind of is prototype testing.
  • Reply 9 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Some people may mock further thickness/weight reduction, but I certainly wouldn't. I think every mm and every gram is critical, so that these things can be used in the largest amount of situations feasible, especially so that they can be held for long periods of time with little effort, which in many industries would be required. ie. hospitals etc. After getting used to the iPad mini, the iPad feels like a complete beast weight wise- a full sized iPad with a weight close to the mini would be incredible.

Agree.  I'll be replacing my iPad 3 with either the new iPad mini or the iPad 5 this year.  Depends on retina display and weight.  If I can get the iPad 5 but with a slimmer and less hefty design, I'll go with the full size. If not and the Mini has retina, then I'll go that route.

But really, in my perfect dream, the iPad mini with retina display is $329 and I buy 2 of those instead of the full size.

• Reply 10 of 38
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

If this is in addition to the IGZO technology, then great and even the mini might be thinner next time.  If it's instead of IGZO this is bad news.  

• Reply 11 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The details were published on Thursday by DigiTimes, which has a spotty track record ...

AI, you insult the word "spotty" when used in the same sentence with "DigiTimes".

• Reply 12 of 38
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Get ready for those that complain about it getting thinner and that they'd rather have the battery life.  I wish Apple would release a 7" thick iPad with battery life that can last 14 days for video and 3 years standby just to see if those fools would buy it.

an iPad 5 with the current thickness using all the components people are talking about, and all the extra space for battery, so that I can have a 20 hour battery?

I would buy it.

• Reply 13 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Agree.  I'll be replacing my iPad 3 with either the new iPad mini or the iPad 5 this year.  Depends on retina display and weight.  If I can get the iPad 5 but with a slimmer and less hefty design, I'll go with the full size. If not and the Mini has retina, then I'll go that route.

But really, in my perfect dream, the iPad mini with retina display is $329 and I buy 2 of those instead of the full size.

I agree with your reasoning on waiting....but after that, I think the iPad mini is the future! :) Poor MS, wrong again! I.e., size/physical keyboards/full-on OS! :)

• Reply 14 of 38
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If this is in addition to the IGZO technology, then great and even the mini might be thinner next time.  If it's instead of IGZO this is bad news.  

imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

IF the only ipad 5 improvement is putting the ipad mini touch above the current LCD and change the GPU it makes me wonder WTF are they doing at Apple? That would be a very unimpressive incremental upgrade.  Where are the carbon fiber cases? Where are new panels tech?  To charge a premium you need to be cutting edge, not lagging the market.

• Reply 15 of 38

Quote:

I like it, when your sense of humor shows through! This comment made me smile! :)

• Reply 16 of 38

If anyone is going to make a full-size tablet thinner...it will be Apple. Plastics vs. aluminum. Apple wins!:)

• Reply 17 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with your reasoning on waiting....but after that, I think the iPad mini is the future! :) Poor MS, wrong again! I.e., size/physical keyboards/full-on OS! :)

The MS Surface is actually a great product for the individual who is thinking "What my tablet needs is an OS that takes up half the available space."

/s

• Reply 18 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

AI, you insult the word "spotty" when used in the same sentence with "DigiTimes".

Yeah.  Technically, "spotty" means something with the odd mark on it, DigiTimes is more like "heavily stained." 

• Reply 19 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

Well, even though I've blocked flaneur, he/she is totally correct.  

The point is why write an article without doing the tiny bit of research necessary to clarify this crucial point?  

• Reply 20 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

My ideal iPad would be the full sized one, with less bezel, and weight/thickness like the mini. I sold my iPad 3rd gen for the mini, and I do miss the retina display as well as larger size, not to mention some touch targets are just a bit too small for my liking. However, I wouldnt trade the weight for anything.