59% of iPhone users spend more than $100 per month on carrier bills

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    How can people pay over $200 a month for their carrier, lol, it is so last century pricing...
  • Reply 62 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Nothing said they were spending $200 for an individual plan.

If they are spending $200, they very likely have more than one phone on the plan.

Bingo!  We have 4 iPhones on our ATT shared plan. $230 a month. It would be around $100 for just one phone though. We also have to have the $30 a month unlimited messaging for my wife and my daughter. They account for nearly 10,000 texts per month.

• Reply 63 of 71
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

Holy crap!

I pay $50 a month for 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends, unlimited sms/mms, 6 GB data, $0.10/min long distance, call ID and voicemail.

Before I found this deal, I was at $65/month for the same thing minus discounted long distance.

What are people doing to hit the $200 mark?!?

(I'm in Canada)

I pay $45 per month.  Taxes in.  Unlimited calling in Canada/USA, unlimited global texting, unlimited data, voicemail, caller ID.  Cheap LD to the world.  And when I travel to any other Wind zone (like visiting gf in Ottawa or cousin in Vancouver), I don't get dinged with BS LD charges for incoming calls.

Wind.

This is exactly why I won't get an iPhone.  No phone is ever worth passing up the plan I have.  It's so liberating to just use my phone and never, ever worry about how much I have used it.  Daytime minutes?  What a pain.  Have to keep staring at the clock before you make a long call.  Been there.  Done that.  Never again.  Heck, my entire extended family has switched to Wind.  Even split between Android and Blackberry (hard keyboard fans).  There's only one cousin stuck with an iPhone on Rogers.  Pays as much as you do.  Doesn't have data.  I don't see the point, but he's more of an Apple nut than I'll ever be.

I hope someday the iPhone ends up on Wind.  It's the perfect network for smartphone users who actually intend to use their phone.  Till then, I'm quite happy using Android (getting my Apple fix through Mac and iPad) and paying half of what most iPhone users pay.  $50?  You are exceptional.  Most iPhone users I know pay anywhere from 40-60% more than that.  Rogers has an average revenue per use (ARPU), just under $60. Ditto for the other two.  Wind's ARPU is ~$30. 

So if you're averaging $50 on one of the big 3, you are below average.  I'll bet that they'll be far stingier with you come upgrade time.

• Reply 64 of 71
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Don't assume everyone in the U.S. pays high fees. I pay only $50 a month for unlimited everything, truly unlimited with no soft caps or throttling and that includes LTE and 3G, unlimited calls, and also unlimited texts. I use a lot more than 1,000 talk and texts a month so your plan in Sweden would not be very useful for me. I am with Sprint on a special legacy plan. It is no longer available to new customers. Millions of other people are also on legacy plans or get special discounts as high as 30% off every month. America may have some very expensive plans but is also has some incredibly cheap plans as well for people that were lucky enough to get and keep them. Any plan that doesn't include unlimited calls or texts would be useless to me and now that we have LTE your 5GB data cap isn't enough for me since I am averaging 8GB or more a month now. Others here might be jealous of your plan, I am not one of them. 

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Legacies plan are great.  Fewer and fewer people have them though.

And these high bills are a threat to all smartphone makers, but Apple in particular.  Apple is getting more and more synonymous with high priced plans and high priced carriers.  And that's of course, because Apple likes carriers that can pay high subsidies.

What happens when users start balking at high monthly bills?  A real concern by the way, especially if more carriers go the way of T-Mobile USA and start making the cost of the handset entirely transparent to the users.  Now users will know exactly how much more the iPhone costs over the S3 (aside from the same $199 they pay in the store).  And they'll be asking if it is worthwhile.

Carriers milking customers for so long, is going to hurt Apple in the long run.

• Reply 65 of 71
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

What happens when users start balking at high monthly bills?  A real concern by the way, especially if more carriers go the way of T-Mobile USA and start making the cost of the handset entirely transparent to the users.  Now users will know exactly how much more the iPhone costs over the S3 (aside from the same $199 they pay in the store).  And they'll be asking if it is worthwhile.

Carriers milking customers for so long, is going to hurt Apple in the long run.

Isn't the price for an unlocked 16GB Galaxy S3 about the same as an unlocked 16GB iPhone 5?  Or am I missing your point?

• Reply 66 of 71
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    john.b wrote: »
    :???:

Isn't the price for an unlocked 16GB Galaxy S3 about the same as an unlocked 16GB iPhone 5?  Or am I missing your point?

It is a little less for the S3:
    $570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875176350

iPhone 16GB unlocked from Apple is $650.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5 (choose a color, then 16GB)
  • Reply 67 of 71

Quote:

And when I travel to any other Wind zone 

What is a wind zone???

• Reply 68 of 71

And they'll find out it is.

Quote:

And they'll be asking if it is worthwhile.

Even if the cheaper customers don't, it will just make the iPhone keep its elite status instead of becoming everyone's phone, allowing Apple to sell it at higher prices than the razor thin margin prices of the competition.

• Reply 69 of 71
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I was in a Verizon store the other day trying to resolve an issue with a SIM card, and while I waited for the manager to be no help whatsoever, I overheard him telling out-and-out lies to a woman there to buy an iPhone 4S, trying to talk her into a Droid phone instead.  On my way out, I mentioned to the woman that she might want to ask him how much more money he makes selling her a Droid over an iPhone.  image

Those places are sleazier than a used car dealership.

• Reply 70 of 71
    US customers are on "expensive data plans" because US carriers gouge them, and the US government lets them. I pay US$50 for unlimited everything.