Apple buys 18 'axis-based' user interface patents from Canadian holding company

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple last year bought a number of patents from Maya-Systems Inc. that cover an "intuitive way to display any virtual content in a superior manner."

Maya

Maya-Systems announced the transaction in a press release issued on Thursday in which the Montreal-based company touted that its "axis-based user interface is ahead of the growing demand for axis-based user interfaces."

The company's description says it specializes in "developing advanced content management technologies." It was founded in 2002.

Promotional material from Maya-Systems showcases a file sorting system that aims to save time and ease access for personal and corporate users. Documents can be synced through the cloud and sorted based on relevant time, categories and more.

In the company's examples, files can be reorganized in a manner relevant to each client and project. And for personal users, e-mails, documents, photos and other files can be stored in one place, and quickly organized based on subject matter, such as a particular project or client.

"We dealt with a significant number of sophisticated buyers," said Mathieu Audet, founder of Maya-Systems. "We are pleased to have secured the transactions with Apple. Our patents have been analyzed thoroughly by many potential buyers. We are confident they are strong assets."

No price for the intellectual property was given, but Maya-Systems did reveal that the acquisition included 18 patent properties.

The company is the creator of "IamOrganized," which it advertises as the "first all-in-one file manager, sharing platform, cloud storage and workflow management tool to utilize innovation axis-based user interface technology."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

Based on tagging, nah.

Maybe if Apple can automate that side of the system it might be useful.

• Reply 2 of 9
    It sounds like Luba Goy doing the voice-over in that video.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Based on tagging, nah.

Maybe if Apple can automate that side of the system it might be useful.

Actually if you read the article and watch the video it's "axis-based," the tags are just the means.  

Unfortunately, no one has explained (least of all the authors of the article) what "axis-based" means exactly or why we should be exited about it. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Actually if you read the article and watch the video it's "axis-based," the tags are just the means.  

Unfortunately, no one has explained (least of all the authors of the article) what "axis-based" means exactly or why we should be exited about it. 

We should be excited because Apple deemed this to be worthwhile and anybody who has tried to efficiently manage a gazillion documents on a computer knows it is a virtually impossible task. We should be excited that Apple may bring some 'new' tools to this arena.

Whatever it is.

• Reply 5 of 9
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Am I wrong, but is this a file interface for iCloud?

That would be beneficial for iPhone and iPad.

• Reply 6 of 9
    what a bullshit: if this is best way to organize files and TIME, than we are screwed ! :D
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    If Apple add a fast and simple way to actually tag the files in the first place this will be a wonderful addition to the Finder /iCloud indeed. I assume a lot of the tagging will be done by the Finder / Application in use for you but some user input will be available for sure and that is where the snag lies in tagging. Few ever do it. I speak from experience when I think of how bad (as in I forget to do it) I am at tagging pictures in Aperture! :( All the camera and GPS generated meta data in world doesn't tell me who the client was or when the project has to be completed etc. if I don't add it.

After thought ... A Siri type ability to tag an import might be nice ... as in I speak the tags ... I wonder if dictation can do that in Aperture now? /rushes to try this out ... doubting it though ...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gazoobee wrote: »

I think it was marketing speak for the ability to sort horizontally e.g. in time and user then within that vertically by a subtype from the resulting strip such as application. I could be wrong ... :D
  • Reply 9 of 9
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think it was marketing speak for the ability to sort horizontally e.g. in time and user then within that vertically by a subtype from the resulting strip such as application. I could be wrong ... image

I think you're right.   

In any case, as soon as their ad said, "All you have to do is add tags to all your files and photos", I totally lost interest.    Like many other people, I just don't have the time to do that. 

Now, perhaps some professionals would take the time and effort necessary.

For more casual use, I want filing software that recognize faces and places and topics, and it should only ask me for a tag when it doesn't recognize something or someone.  And that part should have an interactive voice interface so I can quickly say someone's name.  It could also have various common touch input groupings, like a set of tags, and a map of the world that I can just touch to associate a place I've been.  

Tagging has to be QUICK and EASY or most people won't add them.