Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Samsung has generated 1.7 million views with an online Super Bowl teaser ad that jokes about the company being sued for infringement.



The minute-long advertisement is intended as a teaser for Samsung's Super Bowl advertisement that will air during the National Football League's championship game on Sunday. It features comedians Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen, and Bob Odenkirk ? who is channeling his Saul Goodman lawyer character from the series "Breaking Bad" ? as the three brainstorm potential ideas for Samsung's "Big Game" advertisement.

In the ad, Odenkirk rejects Rudd and Rogen's repeated attempts to say trademarked words like "Super Bowl," "San Francisco 49ers" or "Baltimore Ravens." When Rogen asks who might sue Samsung for their use of the names, Odenkirk responds: "Everybody, nobody. Who knows?"

The ad doesn't specifically mention Apple, but viewers have interpreted the video as a not-so-subtle jab at the iPhone maker, which has filed a number of patent infringement suits accusing Samsung of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad.

One top comment on YouTube joked that only Apple lawyers disapproved of the video. Another praised the company's willingness to poke fun at the situation with Apple, suggesting the South Korean company is "being extra careful about anything that could be misconstrued to be willful copyright infringement."

In the ad, Rogen and Rudd eventually settle on saying they are "doing a commercial for the 'Big Plate' featuring the 'San Francisco Fifty-Minus-One-ers' and the 'Baltimore Blackbirds.'"
«13456711

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 210
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Pretty stupid.

    Obviously, there's nothing about their phone that's good enough to talk about in a commercial so they have to make something dumb like this.

    Of course, they failed to mention that the jury ordered them to pay over $1,000,000,000 for their blatant copying.
  • Reply 2 of 210
    This is low class. Like most of Samsung's ads lately, they have focused on poking fun at Apple and sometimes outright insult Apple users.

    What if Apple runs a counter-ads "what would Samsung copy if we stop innovating"?
  • Reply 3 of 210
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Lol, don't start an advertising war with Apple, creators of the greatest Super Bowl ad ever (1984). They will tear you a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 210
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Oh come off it, J rag. That was funny for anyone that doesn't have a chip on their shoulder or a stick up their keister.
  • Reply 5 of 210
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

    viewers have interpreted the video as a not-so-subtle jab at the iPhone maker, which has filed a number of patent infringement suits accusing Samsung of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad.


     


    Really? I think the only people that have interpreted it that way are hyper sensitive Apple fans that just look for anything to bash Samsung over.


     


    This is a jab at the NFL and has been a long running joke. The local radio station here has done this joke for years, long before the Apple and Samsung legal war. Every year when the station does a promo for the game or talks about it they make the same jokes.


     


    So by the same logic the local radio station here is now an Apple hater? Even before the iPhone came out?

  • Reply 6 of 210
    I don't know if they are making fun of Apple, its more like they didn't pay for the NFL license but still want to be in the Super Bowl. Like Nike did a couple years ago had commercials about "Athletes" during the Olympics.
  • Reply 7 of 210
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Samscum's at it again.

    They should mention they are having the Sudden Death Syndrome with their S3's..

  • Reply 8 of 210
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member


    lol...OMG...only a super sensitive fanboy would take offense to this video......never does it mention anything even close to an Apple product BUT it does mention that they can't say the trademarked Super Bowl or the team names......so does Apple own those name too?

  • Reply 9 of 210
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I don't know if they are making fun of Apple, its more like they didn't pay for the NFL license but still want to be in the Super Bowl. Like Nike did a couple years ago had commercials about "Athletes" during the Olympics.
    Yea, I didn't see this as a slight against Apple. It seemed to be making more fun of the litigious nature of pro-sports and "official sponsors" like what the Olympic Games sued over
  • Reply 10 of 210
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Oh come off it, J rag. That was funny for anyone that doesn't have a chip on their shoulder or a stick up their keister.

    Really? So you're now the authority on what's funny?

    If I were a Samsung stockholder, I'd be royally pi$$ed. The ad does nothing to improve their brand. It does nothing to explain why someone should buy a Samsung product. It leaves the message that lawyers control the company rather than people who create something.

    And for the sake of creating that impression with customers, Samsung will be paying how much for a SuperBowl ad? You really don't think they could have found a better way to spend those millions of dollars? Is it worth spending $5,000,000 on a lame joke that does nothing for your company or product?
  • Reply 11 of 210
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member


    Exactly......this has NOTHING to do with Apple....


     


     


    winestein2012 said


     don't know if they are making fun of Apple, its more like they didn't pay for the NFL license but still want to be in the Super Bowl. Like Nike did a couple years ago had commercials about "Athletes" during the Olympics."

  • Reply 12 of 210


    What a joke. The fervor on these post as if the commercial is personally attacking them.

  • Reply 13 of 210
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Exactly......this has NOTHING to do with Apple....
    It doesn't even seem to have much to do with Samsung
  • Reply 14 of 210
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,699member


    Incredibly lame commercial. Besides a few fanatical cheapskates using a particular brand of phone, I doubt that many will find that to be a particularly effective ad. And with the price of a super bowl ad, I'd say that's money down the drain. Has Samsung paid Apple the Billion dollars by the way? AFAIK, they lost, and they have to pay up soon, don't they?


     


    Samsung has Apple on their brain 24-7-365. Firstly, virtually their entire line of phones and tablets is based on Apple's designs and OS, and they can hardly even make a commercial without the theme having something to do with either Apple or Apple customers. 


     


    Apple is like Mozart, and Samsung is like Milli Vanilli.

  • Reply 15 of 210
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    This seems to be a copy of this video, and once again Samsung has no new ideas.
  • Reply 16 of 210
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Exactly......this has NOTHING to do with Apple....


    winestein2012 said
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;"> don't know if they are making fun of Apple, its more like they didn't pay for the NFL license but still want to be in the Super Bowl. Like Nike did a couple years ago had commercials about "Athletes" during the Olympics."</span>

    It is interesting, however, how there is a very, very clear picture of Samsung's disrespect for intellectual property:

    - Losing $1 B to Apple for theft of IP
    - The lame commercial where the girl in the office takes credit for the guy's work.
    - This commercial making fun of the SuperBowl and teams wanting their IP to be respected.
    - All the evidence from the Apple trial - such as the management meetings that revolved around how they could copy the iPhone

    Their message is consistent: "we feel that we should be able to use anyone's IP no matter whether they want us to or not. Stealing is OK".

    Sorry, but I don't consider that to be an acceptable message.
  • Reply 17 of 210
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    Really? So you're now the authority on what's funny?



    If I were a Samsung stockholder, I'd be royally pi$$ed. The ad does nothing to improve their brand. It does nothing to explain why someone should buy a Samsung product. It leaves the message that lawyers control the company rather than people who create something.



    And for the sake of creating that impression with customers, Samsung will be paying how much for a SuperBowl ad? You really don't think they could have found a better way to spend those millions of dollars? Is it worth spending $5,000,000 on a lame joke that does nothing for your company or product?


    ok...i'll play....so now YOU are the authority on whats funny?


    You are the decision maker on where Samsung should spend their advertising dollars?


    You are the defacto Super Bowl ad critic..


    C'mon now...put the kool aid down and really watch the video again with a clear mind....it has nothing to do with Apple.

  • Reply 18 of 210
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    It is interesting, however, how there is a very, very clear picture of Samsung's disrespect for intellectual property:



    - Losing $1 B to Apple for theft of IP

    - The lame commercial where the girl in the office takes credit for the guy's work.

    - This commercial making fun of the SuperBowl and teams wanting their IP to be respected.

    - All the evidence from the Apple trial - such as the management meetings that revolved around how they could copy the iPhone



    Their message is consistent: "we feel that we should be able to use anyone's IP no matter whether they want us to or not. Stealing is OK".



    Sorry, but I don't consider that to be an acceptable message.


    lol....you read ALL THAT into that one Super Bowl ad? Wow kinda sensitive this morning huh? Lighten up! Its Friday! :-)

  • Reply 19 of 210
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,699member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post



     It does nothing to explain why someone should buy a Samsung product.


     


    Has any of their commercials ever explained why somebody should buy a Samsung product? The message that I got from their older commercials is that people are willing to wait in line for the superior products made by their competitor which they steal and copy from. And nobody is going to wait around to buy a Samsung phone.


     


    Android manufacturers don't really need to convince certain people to buy their phone. It's as simple as a bum walking into a cell carrier store like AT&T or Verizon, and that bum simply gets whatever BOGOF deal is currently active.

  • Reply 20 of 210
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    geekdad wrote: »
    ok...i'll play....so now YOU are the authority on whats funny?
    You are the decision maker on where Samsung should spend their advertising dollars?
    You are the defacto Super Bowl ad critic..
    C'mon now...put the kool aid down and really watch the video again with a clear mind....it has nothing to do with Apple.

    It's also not funny.

    I never claimed to be the authority on what was funny. I stated that I did not find it to be funny and was criticized for that.

    I did, however, point out that Samsung has a recurring trend in their advertising and management activities that suggest that they think that stealing IP is OK.
Sign In or Register to comment.