Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 210
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

A poke at Apple? That's a stretch.

I thought the ad was jabbing the NFL. Like when the NFL sued fan sites for mentioning their teams and using team logos.

• Reply 42 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? So you're now the authority on what's funny?

If I were a Samsung stockholder, I'd be royally pi$$ed. The ad does nothing to improve their brand. It does nothing to explain why someone should buy a Samsung product. It leaves the message that lawyers control the company rather than people who create something.

And for the sake of creating that impression with customers, Samsung will be paying how much for a SuperBowl ad? You really don't think they could have found a better way to spend those millions of dollars? Is it worth spending $5,000,000 on a lame joke that does nothing for your company or product?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Pretty stupid.

Obviously, there's nothing about their phone that's good enough to talk about in a commercial so they have to make something dumb like this.

Of course, they failed to mention that the jury ordered them to pay over $1,000,000,000 for their blatant copying.

Wow...have you checked the expiration date of the milk in your fridge? Seriously...it's not that healthy to be walking around with that much aggression all day. 

It's a Super Bowl ad. Nearly all of them are written for branding surface humor value only. The outrageous Doritos, Go Daddy, Budweiser etc ads of recent years really served a purpose? Come on, lighten up. 50-1'ers was pretty funny. You really have to be deep inside the RDF to be that pissed off somehow. Everyone makes fun of the NFL's 'expressed written consent' jargon. See the forest for the trees. 

• Reply 43 of 210
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    This is a GREAT ad. First of all, it isn't funny, it is unintentionally funny. Not only is there nothing humorous about the joke, but it is a copied joke, and the joke is about copying but changing just enough to avoid getting sued. That is Samsungs MO!

"Can we make it exactly like the iphon...."

"Shhh!"

"Can we make it exactly like the... best selling phone but change the background color on the icons?"

"I like it!"

This is the perfect ad for Samsung! Ineffective, waste of money, a copy of someone else idea from much earlier, and doesn't work as well! It is literally perfect!

I think this may be one of Apples better ads. How did they get their team to work at Samsung?

...or did they just make and leak the ad, and wait for Samsung to copy it?
  • Reply 44 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Amazing how quickly Samsung brings out the trolls.  Some of that $12B in advertising is being used for astroturfing no doubt. image

• Reply 45 of 210
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Compare this ad to Apple's ads %u2013 especially for the Super Dish %u2013 and Samsung only confirms Apple's genius.
  • Reply 46 of 210
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Some of the 12B is used for astroturfing? Based on this ad, if they spend any of their advertising budget on advertising, they are getting ripped off.
  • Reply 47 of 210
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Amazing how quickly Samsung brings out the trolls.  Some of that $12B in advertising is being used for astroturfing no doubt. image

If it were up to me, anybody who finds that ad to be funny would be banned for life from this site. Luckily for those posers, it's not up to me.image

• Reply 48 of 210
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Now this is funny.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 49 of 210
    Funny, I am sure most of their design meetings went the same way.
  • Reply 50 of 210
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

I don't see how this can be connected to Apple at all. Everybody is suing everybody.

• Reply 51 of 210
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    analogjack wrote: »
    Ironically the "shushing" is s copy of Dr Evil's mannerisms in the scene with Scott.

and the original is....

Scott Evil: It's no hassle...
    Dr. Evil: Sh!
    Scott Evil: But...
    Scott Evil: I'm...
    Scott Evil: All I'm say...
    Scott Evil: There gonna get a...
    Scott Evil: I'm...
    Scott Evil: I'm just...
    Scott Evil: Would...
    Dr. Evil: Sh!... Knock-knock.
    Scott Evil: Who's there?
    Scott Evil: But...
    Dr. Evil: Let me tell you a little story about a man named Sh! Sh! even before you start. That was a pre-emptive "sh!" Now, I have a whole bag of "sh!" with your name on it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118655/quotes?qt=qt0367860
  • Reply 52 of 210

I think all this BS is backfiring.  I will not buy anything Samsung or Korean now.  Used to deal with them 30 years ago seems that nothing has changed, maybe too many sea slugs messes the brain up

First rule of sales, don't knock the competition because it comes over as a cheap and makes your products look inferior, which by the way they are lol

• Reply 53 of 210
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Don't know what is the funnier: AI inventing Apple jabs in this Super Bowl ad where I fail to see any, or the usual people here believing so.
  • Reply 54 of 210
    Samsung must be in trouble if they are spending money on stuff like this. I mean, it's one thing to poke fun at people waiting in a line if you can show that your product does something that theirs doesn't, but this doesn't really draw attention to any reason to use their product...it's really kind of lame. Superbowl ads are very expensive, what a waste of money.
  • Reply 55 of 210
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I agree but it also has nothing to do with any Samsung product, oh except for the Galaxy Note 2 that's facing away from the camera.

Agreed! Its just funny....

• Reply 56 of 210
    geekdad wrote: »
    Agreed! Its just funny....

Yes it is but that's a lot of money to spend just to be funny.
  • Reply 57 of 210
    Samsung must be in trouble if they are spending money on stuff like this. I mean, it's one thing to poke fun at people waiting in a line if you can show that your product does something that theirs doesn't, but this doesn't really draw attention to any reason to use their product...it's really kind of lame. Superbowl ads are very expensive, what a waste of money.

They're not in trouble but I think it's a squandered opportunity to show millions upon millions of people what their devices can do.
  • Reply 58 of 210

Watch out, Samsung.  Apple had a killer Superbowl ad....in 1984.   They will tear you apart.  

• Reply 59 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're not in trouble but I think it's a squandered opportunity to show millions upon millions of people what their devices can do.

Not that I would compare this Samsung ad with the 1984 Apple ad in any other way except to say that ad also didn't show what the Macintosh could do.

Sadly for them, though, this teaser doesn't make me think of Samsung after seeing it. I'll have to wait to see the entire ad to know if that changes.

• Reply 60 of 210
    sensi wrote: »
    Don't know what is the funnier: AI inventing Apple jabs in this Super Bowl ad where I fail to see any, or the usual people here believing so.

[VIDEO]