Apple to begin preliminary 'iPhone 5S' builds in March for June/July launch - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Usually you just cut them off at; "Apple needs...".  ;)

That is usually a good sign of a lame comment.
  • Reply 62 of 78
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Why would they bother, when the iPhone 5 is selling so poorly¡ They may as well give up on the iPhone altogether¡

mac-daddy wrote: »
    Doesn't the annoying sarcasm ever get old for you and every other member who constantly does it? 

his certainly does for me. how else would you get to 20,000+ posts and the fancy user title he's hawking to others?

(this is the second time i've posted that comment. i guess the first one was removed because only global moderators can post comments that add nothing to the discussion.)
  • Reply 63 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    Posted before, but ok

Wow 60 icons yet still there is three screens huh, I wonder what that ratio would be, hopefully if that came,there would be enough memory
    We do not need the 5 inch screens, that is a downside to the phone in many cases, the phone does not need to have it, what is Really needed is the feature android could not have come up with, by the way 5S remember so no screen changes, the iPhone 6 needs multitouch home button/trackpad/ or I prefer touch panel.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    My prediction is the iPhone goes to 32, 64, 128. No more 16. "S is for storage" will be part of the S I think
  • Reply 65 of 78
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see any evidence of Apple losing to Samsung. Apple is growing their profits in a very healthy way. If Samsung is taking anything from anyone it's from other Android vendors.

As for you r idea of rushing into a new product lets remember that needed to make a netbook quickly before Acer owned the market and no one wanted Macs anymore. Don't you think it's a good think Apple doesn't make panicked, reactive decisions? I do.

Yes I agree their decisions should be measured and tempered.  However samsung has proven that larger screen phones do sell.  I've had discussions with people looking to get their first smartphone and 4 out of 5 said they were going S3.  The reason?  Each said the larger screen.  One was a woman who said the iphone screen was too small for her fingers and nails.  she said she tried the iphone and S3 in the stores and is going to purchase the S3.  I tried to convince each why the iPhone is a better quality product, better design and better operating system.  For 4 of the 5 they would not consider it still.  It was all about the screen size.  Remember consumers are not smart. They are shallow and fickle.  Unlike apple who weighs decisions, consumers make snap judgments and staring at that large screen next to the iphone is mesmerizing to the commoners

• Reply 66 of 78

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

…nails.

Hoo boy.

• Reply 67 of 78
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's zero evidence of this now, just as there was zero evidence of it three years ago when they first said this. All evidence points away from it.

Apple itself provided the evidence of customers wanting a larger screen, when they lengthened their display just so they could claim 4".

Lacking true resolution independence in the majority of apps, Apple was unable to do much else.   Similar to Windows Mobile of yore, Apple has painted itself into a corner that will extra effort to get out of.

(A primary reason Apple was able to swoop in during 2007, was that they could start fresh, while everyone else was locked into legacy app, input and screen size support .   Now, five years later, Apple is likewise in a legacy app and display situation.   So far, they've hacked solutions like pixel doubling and reusing resolutions, but sooner or later they're going to have to bite the bullet and make bigger changes, or risk ending up looking stale and stuck like previous OSes had done.)

• Reply 68 of 78

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

So far, they've hacked solutions like pixel doubling and reusing resolutions, but sooner or later they're going to have to bite the bullet and make bigger changes, or risk ending up looking stale and stuck like previous OSes had done.

lol.

What else do you expect me to say when you use "stale" in a non-joking argument?

If you treat your operating systems like you treat your bread, there's something wrong, and it isn't with the OS.

OS' are to be treated like wine or something similar.

• Reply 69 of 78
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OS' are to be treated like wine or something similar.

Ah.  Okay.  Hmm.  How about this:

Sooner or later they'll have to use new grapes, because their old wine will have turned to vinegar.

• Reply 70 of 78

Ah.  Okay.  Hmm.  How about this:

Sooner or later they'll have to use new grapes, because their old wine will have turned to vinegar.

There you go. Now note the difference in timeframes for wine and bread. 

• Reply 71 of 78
    andysol wrote: »
    My prediction is the iPhone goes to 32, 64, 128. No more 16. "S is for storage" will be part of the S I think
    Yes in S upgrades the storage is usually improved. However S has always meant speed.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Yes in S upgrades the storage is usually improved. However S has always meant speed.

Some would say "S" stood for "Siri" in the 4S.

If these finger print rumors are true, "S" will probably stand for Security this time around.

• Reply 73 of 78
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member

Quote:

Apple itself provided the evidence of customers wanting a larger screen, when they lengthened their display just so they could claim 4".

Lacking true resolution independence in the majority of apps, Apple was unable to do much else.   Similar to Windows Mobile of yore, Apple has painted itself into a corner that will extra effort to get out of.

(A primary reason Apple was able to swoop in during 2007, was that they could start fresh, while everyone else was locked into legacy app, input and screen size support .   Now, five years later, Apple is likewise in a legacy app and display situation.   So far, they've hacked solutions like pixel doubling and reusing resolutions, but sooner or later they're going to have to bite the bullet and make bigger changes, or risk ending up looking stale and stuck like previous OSes had done.)

100% agreed. Apple needs to bite the bullet and break out and not worry about pixel dimensions right now.  If they have to have 2 or 3 more that is fine.  the 1000's of android form factors don't seem to be hurting sales a bit. How many phones did samsung say they just sold of their Galaxy line?  Fragmentation is important for developers, yes.  But so is market size.  They prefer to develop for just a few screen sizes of course. It is easier.  I used to develop.  However this is not stopping them from doing extra work required to be on Android's multiple screen sizes.

Time to forget the hacks to use legacy apps.  Get a bigger screen and do a zoom in or let it letterbox until the developers resize it for new dimensions.  I agree they have to bite the bullet and not sooner or later but definitely sooner.  It is a lot harder to get a first time Android users to switch to apple once they learn the OS and invest in the ecosystem. 

I'm long apple stock since about $100 and hanging in.  I think Apple will deal with all these issues but my biggest fear is they seem to move very slow now compared to the Samsung's of the world.  These guys seem to pump out 50 phones in a blink of an eye and never have supply issues either.   That said my biggest issue is that the top executives and board members hold little to no stock.  Some hold zero. Some a few hundred.  Cook only owns 13k shares. 

As a shareholder this would be my biggest concern. Why don't any of them own any stock that represents even 1% of their net worth?  Why are they not buying here?  What do they know that we don't?  Why are they not aligned with shareholder interests (because they own no shares).  The shareholder vote out now they want you to vote against the shareholder proposal requiring executives to own a signifcant stake of shares in the company!  This is my issue and the reason I will peel out of this position until they change this and start owning some of the company they run.

• Reply 74 of 78
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

100% agreed. Apple needs to bite the bullet and break out and not worry about pixel dimensions right now.  If they have to have 2 or 3 more that is fine.  the 1000's of android form factors don't seem to be hurting sales a bit. How many phones did samsung say they just sold of their Galaxy line?  Fragmentation is important for developers, yes.  But so is market size.  They prefer to develop for just a few screen sizes of course. It is easier.  I used to develop.  However this is not stopping them from doing extra work required to be on Android's multiple screen sizes.

Time to forget the hacks to use legacy apps.  Get a bigger screen and do a zoom in or let it letterbox until the developers resize it for new dimensions.  I agree they have to bite the bullet and not sooner or later but definitely sooner.  It is a lot harder to get a first time Android users to switch to apple once they learn the OS and invest in the ecosystem. 

I'm long apple stock since about $100 and hanging in.  I think Apple will deal with all these issues but my biggest fear is they seem to move very slow now compared to the Samsung's of the world.  These guys seem to pump out 50 phones in a blink of an eye and never have supply issues either.   That said my biggest issue is that the top executives and board members hold little to no stock.  Some hold zero. Some a few hundred.  Cook only owns 13k shares. 

As a shareholder this would be my biggest concern. Why don't any of them own any stock that represents even 1% of their net worth?  Why are they not buying here?  What do they know that we don't?  Why are they not aligned with shareholder interests (because they own no shares).  The shareholder vote out now they want you to vote against the shareholder proposal requiring executives to own a signifcant stake of shares in the company!  This is my issue and the reason I will peel out of this position until they change this and start owning some of the company they run.

Apple doesn't have to completely abandon their current screen ratios and resolutions. They've increased to 16:9 last year which was huge and now they have a lot more flexibility in what they can do.

SolipismX did the math and they can stretch the current iPhone 5 screen to about 5 inches and that would match the current retina iPad's PPI of 264. That means they can use the same panels and just cut them for 5 inches instead of 9.7. 

Also as screen technology has improved Apple could also double the resolution of the iPhone 5 again and stretch it to a 5 inch display creating a Super Retina display. At 528 PPI the screen would look magnificent and it would still have less pixels for the A7(?) chip to push around than a iPad Retina.

Apple could do some interesting things with their displays and options without growing stale or abandoning their developers. 

• Reply 75 of 78

nice thread

i like your fresh post . i am totally right with your post . god bless you 

• Reply 76 of 78

I see blind loyalty for both Apple and Android. I also see what happens when there is change as well. Let's face it, If Apple did decide to make an iPhone with a screen the size of the EVO LTE people would flock to the store to buy it. Everyone that states "I love the size of the iPhone 5" would be standing in line because in reality this screen is among the smallest on the market. Come on, it is okay for a "phone" screen, but as a smartphone that people want for internet, maps, navigation...it is just too small and it is frustrating. Same goes for Android users...they don't admit it, but frankly they want a phone "that works" all the time.

It seems very simple to me. Make a big screen iPhone and allow consumers to make the choice. Stop frustrating us with behind the times display sizes. Your phone is awesome except for that. And everyone can chime in here and say "not true" I love the size but I would bet my savings that all of them would be camping out for an iPhone with a screen size like an EVO. Obviously price isn't it since the EVO was $200...the Note 2 is $300. And they can buy cheap mSD cards and expand storage! People will argue about this and defend their stance but come on...make a iPhone that is bigger and see how many Android users convert.

• Reply 77 of 78

Originally Posted by hornsfam View Post

…as a smartphone that people want for internet, maps, navigation…it is just too small and it is frustrating.

Nope.

• Reply 78 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornsfam View Post

Come on, it is okay for a "phone" screen, but as a smartphone that people want for internet, maps, navigation...it is just too small and it is frustrating.

True