Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad

Comments

• Reply 121 of 210
    Samsung sure seems to have hit a nerve...

Mission accomplished for them then
  • Reply 122 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Mission accomplished for them then

... and this ad might not even have any connection to Apple... as mentioned twice previously. I really wouldn't have gotten that connection from watching the teaser. As a matter of fact, just for shits and giggles, I think a few people should stop random people on the street and ask them if they know about any Apple lawsuits. I know I've asked a few people around our apartment building and most have no clue about this. One thought they were suing Microsoft and another thought they were suing Google. Samsung's name only came up once out of several people. Anecdotal? Yes... but...

The only good thing about that for Apple would be that the lawsuits aren't hurting its image.

• Reply 123 of 210
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Look at it this way:

To the general public the "smartphone" is a new thing, most know that it started with Apple's iPhone, but everyone who's interested has also heard of Android.  They are currently wondering "who is going to win" or "who is best" or something similar because people are generally stupid, simplistic and vain and want to be on the "winning team."  For them, it's a battle. 

Apple is trying to win this battle by making the best product and putting it in the most hands. Samsung is trying to win this battle by convincing people through advertising ... that they are winning this battle. In other words, Samsung is playing the "popularity game" that it thinks Apple is also playing (because Apple is popular) but that Apple isn't actually playing at all. 

Contrary to what most folks believe, advertising actually has the power to convince people of almost anything, regardless of the actual facts.  Although we tend to think we are individual agents making clear logical choices, in fact, a good commercial can sell almost anything to anyone.  History proves this over and over again.  Therefore, (short term), Samsung wins. 

Long term, the product that actually works will always beat out a non-working, poorly designed product that was only successful through advertising. Therefore (long term) Apple wins. 

As long as Apple can stay the course and keep churning out excellent products year by year, and as long as Samsung focusses on their copycat, sloppily designed products promoted through advertising, Apple will eventually come out on top.  

There are also several scenarios wherein Samsung could "loose" (the battle) even earlier.  

This is because when your product only succeeds through advertising and public opinion, it is especially vulnerable to a reversal of that opinion.  All it would take for example, is a Samsung product with a giant embarrassing flaw that isn't discovered until after it shipped and the resulting tidal wave of ridicule would undo every advertisement they have done to date.  They could fix this flaw qucikly and efficiently and it wouldn't matter at all.  The die would be cast and the public opinion would have already switched to another product (the obvious example of this effect being the Apple Newton).

Without a clearly original, quality product to fall back on when the advertising fails, Samsung's whole enterprise would collapse like a house of cards.  

The public is fickle and will delight in ripping to pieces the very heroes they held on their shoulders just last week.  

• Reply 124 of 210
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Pretty funny.

Obviously, there's plenty of lawsuit drama that's good enough to talk about in a commercial so they have to make something great like this.

Unfortunately, they failed to mention that the jury ordered them to pay over $1,000,000,000 due to a jaded foreman's misunderstanding of patent laws.

• Reply 125 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both men and women cry.

Of course, but that wasn't the context of the remark and it wasn't the first time such remarks were made.   Also, women don't think crying is a bad thing.  

These kind of comments are clearly in the same vein as "don't be a baby" "man up!" etc. etc.

No biggie.  I just think we should be past that caveman crap already. 

• Reply 126 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

50% of Milli Vanilli definitely doesn't have anything to say, because I believe that one half of Milli Vanilli committed suicide a long time ago.

I think Milli Vanilli got a raw deal myself, but seriously ... talking about them is about as relevant as talking about Danny Kaye.  

It was a minor controversy 25 years ago. 

• Reply 127 of 210
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

This has nothing to do with Apple and everything with the super B..

• Reply 128 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Look at it this way:

Long term, the product that actually works will always beat out a non-working, poorly designed product that was only successful through advertising. Therefore (long term) Apple wins. 

I need this weeks loto numbers...

• Reply 129 of 210
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I think Milli Vanilli got a raw deal myself, but seriously ... talking about them is about as relevant as talking about Danny Kaye.  

It was a minor controversy 25 years ago. 

1) I feel bad for them, too. They were given an opportunity for fame and they took it. I doubt many would say no. They certainly weren't the ringleaders not one of us know the names or faces of these people that set it all up and profited by it.

2) Regardng Danny Kaye, it's amazing how someone can be so well known and beloved in one generation can be lost the next. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is filled with names of people whom I've never even heard of.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 130 of 210
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 131 of 210
    That is stupid!
  • Reply 132 of 210
    This reminds me of the last election. If you can't fight someone on their past performance, attack their person.
  • Reply 133 of 210
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 134 of 210

Apple's response, "Ha-Ha...Whatever, just pay us our $1 BILLION, bitches!!!"

• Reply 135 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... 2) Regardng Danny Kaye, it's amazing how someone can be so well known and beloved in one generation can be lost the next. ...

He certainly had miles more talent than those three famous "comedians" in the Samsung ad in question.  

One outcome of this advert is that I have completely lost whatever respect I had for any of those guys.  

How low can you go for money?  And it wasn't even that funny. 

• Reply 136 of 210
    clemynx wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with Apple and everything with the super B..

Sh!...
  • Reply 137 of 210
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    One outcome of this advert is that I have completely lost whatever respect I had for any of those guys. How low can you go for money?  And it wasn't even that funny. 

If Samsung offered me $100k to be in a Superbowl ad I would say yes.
  • Reply 138 of 210
    Not offensive, but not really that funny either
  • Reply 139 of 210
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Did Apple squander similarly in 1984?

No, but then the 1984 ad clearly revolutionized advertising and is STILL being talked about as one of the best ads of all time - almost 30 years later.

Do you REALLY believe the same will be said of this silly ad?
  • Reply 140 of 210
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If Samsung offered me $100k to be in a Superbowl ad I would say yes.

But we already don't have respect for anyone on this forum so it wouldn't change anything.image