Traffic from Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 continues to grow

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The presence of Macs running OS X 10.9, Apple's next-generation operating system, continues to expand, potentially hinting that a public unveiling could occur soon.

OS X 10.9

It was on February 16 of last year that Apple, for the first time, announced OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Now, nearly a year later, there is evidence that the company is hard at work testing the next version of its Mac operating system.

Traffic logs for AppleInsider show that visits from machines claiming to be running an unannounced OS X 10.9 spiked in the month of January.

But while October visits from OS X 10.9 were around three dozen total, the number swelled into the thousands in the just-concluded month of January.Evidence of Apple testing OS X 10.9 first surfaced late last year, when AppleInsider tracked a handful of visits from machines running the next-generation operating system in the month of October. But while October visits from OS X 10.9 were around three dozen total, the number swelled into the thousands in the just-concluded month of January.

For the last couple of years, Apple has been upgrading OS X on an annual basis. Last year, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion launched on the Mac App Store in July, while OS X 10.7 Lion launched in July of 2011.

If Apple keeps to the same schedule this year, the company could formally unveil OS X 10.9 in the coming weeks, giving developers time to prepare for a summer 2013 launch of its next Mac operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 201
    Looking foward to this.
  • Reply 2 of 201
    So what will happen after 10.9? 10.10?
  • Reply 3 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jimbo1234 wrote: »
    Looking foward to this.

Why? No one knows what's in it, so how can you be looking forward to it?

From my perspective, since about 10.6, there's been little driving force for a change. I don't have anything that really needs to be changed (with one exception - Safari memory leaks), so I'm completely indifferent to a new OS.

That, of course, is balanced by the fact that upgrades are so easy and inexpensive that it's a matter of "might as well, even though I don't need it".
  • Reply 4 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

I will be called "The New OSX"

Maybe they'll follow iPad naming conventions ;)

• Reply 5 of 201

Hmm, OSX 10.10 - isn't that OSXXX?

• Reply 6 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

I suspect at some point in the not-too-distant future Apple will merge OSX and iOS into a single operating system. The two have been converging in features and design for years, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

• Reply 7 of 201
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Possibly. They could jump to 11 but they could also make 10.9 become 11.0, too. I think it really depends on the changes they make and they how they want to market it going forward.

jragosta wrote: »
    Why? No one knows what's in it, so how can you be looking forward to it?

From my perspective, since about 10.6, there's been little driving force for a change.

1) You can't see how one can look forward to a future event? I have never been disappointed by a Mac OS X update so I'm certainly looking forward to it.

2) If you compare SL to ML you'll see a lot of changes. Whether you care about those changes or not is another issue but they are massive.
  • Reply 8 of 201
    I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called. What big cats are left? They've already done cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion.... What's left?

After they finish with Mac OSX 10.9 though, they have to go to Mac OSXI 11.0. Mac OSX 10.10 would just be the same as Mac OSX 10.1.
  • Reply 9 of 201
    macdevil wrote: »
    I suspect at some point in the not-too-distant future Apple will merge OSX and iOS into a single operating system. The two have been converging in features and design for years, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

How would that work? The Apple TV comes with 5GB OS installation because it not only has its version of iOS but all of Mac OS X on it too? Same for the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad? In no scenario can I imagine having all of Mac OS X installed on those devices to meet your one OS vision.
  • Reply 10 of 201

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called. What big cats are left? They've already done cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion.... What's left?

Sabertooth.

And THEN a year and a half later when OS XI is released and computing is again changed forever, they can refer to the keyboard and mouse system as being "long in the tooth".

After they finish with Mac OSX 10.9 though, they have to go to Mac OSXI 11.0. Mac OSX 10.10 would just be the same as Mac OSX 10.1.

Nope. 10.4.10 and 10.4.11. They don't have to do anything.

• Reply 11 of 201
    adam_apple wrote: »

There are plenty of big cat names they can use, just check Wikipedia. Note that cougar, puma, leopard, panther, and mountain lion can all be used to refer to the same species so using a more obscure cat name that directly refers to an already used cat is still on the table.

Sabertooth.

Mac OS X is getting long in the tooth. :D
  • Reply 12 of 201
    I'm definitely going to be looking forward to Mac OSXI 11.0 whenever it comes out.
  • Reply 13 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

From a mathematical point of view maybe, but not from a point of view regarding software versions.

There was a 10.4.1 and a 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 version. The position of the number in the version does not rule out a similar numbering with upgrades.

Apple will probably forgo the use of 10.10 or 10.11 in public naming schemes, but internally the number will probably still be used, since Mac OS X, or OS X now, is a strong brand for Apple.

• Reply 14 of 201
    I wouldn't mind if they'd slow down a bit and do more testing before release. There are quite a few bugs that never get patched, presumably because they're already busy preparing the next release, so they figure what's the point (I'm inferring that logic). I shouldn't have to do a major update to fix bugs.
  • Reply 15 of 201

Quote:

OSX 11 "Chihuahua"

• Reply 16 of 201
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Quote:

iOS X

• Reply 17 of 201
    Nope. 10.4.10 and 10.4.11. They don't have to do anything.

Lol, so you're saying they are going to go back to tiger and have the new OSX be 10.4.11? Why would they do that, lol, that makes no sense. They already do that anyway. Like right now we are currently on 10.8.2 technically. Apple has no choice but to call the next OS Mac OSXI 11.0 or change the name completely.
  • Reply 18 of 201

I'm hoping they name it Lynx.  But yeah I've been really digging them since SL except for Lion, that one kinda drove me batty at times. 

• Reply 19 of 201

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I wouldn't mind if they'd slow down a bit and do more testing before release.

Seven betas so far of 10.8.3. Is that enough?

There are quite a few bugs that never get patched, presumably because they're already busy preparing the next release, so they figure what's the point (I'm inferring that logic).

Curious about your experiences:

1. Which bugs?

2. How do we know they're not by design?

3. I preemptively agree with some of them you might say. image

• Reply 20 of 201
    And in case you guys didn't know, adding a 0 on the end of a decimal is pointless. lol