Traffic from Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 continues to grow

Comments

• Reply 61 of 201
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seven betas so far of 10.8.3. Is that enough?

Curious about your experiences:

1. Which bugs?

2. How do we know they're not by design?

3. I preemptively agree with some of them you might say. image

Actually nine betas of 10.8.3!

I am going for Sabre-toothed tiger as well. 

• Reply 62 of 201
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    10.9 could be called Lynx. To those saying SL is superior to Lion or ML, what are you smoking? I use both SL and ML on 2 different systems, and the differences are stark. The iOS integration Apple have implemented into ML was sorely needed. No more third party apps just to get my device to work with my Mac. Cloud services and OTA updates, what's not to like. Fine, be troglodyte, but don't trash talk something you're too afraid to use. I've been using Macs since the Macintosh was released. I think I know the difference between good and bad Apple OS's.
  • Reply 63 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

They can always move to Bears or Predator Birds, not to mention Sharks.

• Reply 64 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How did you miss the title, and why would you think Snow Leopard would get another update?

I've been so hoping for 10.6.9 that I saw 10.9 and mentally inserted the 6...

Why might Snow Leopard get another update? I know it won't but I'd love to be able to access my Photo Stream. But that's for another topic. Just hopeful is all.

• Reply 65 of 201
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Quote:

"doing a commercial for the 'Big Plate' featuring the 'San Francisco Fifty-Minus-One-ers' and the 'Baltimore Blackbirds.'"

Very similar to their product strategy. Changing things just enough to sneak by legally. 

• Reply 66 of 201
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

I suspect at some point in the not-too-distant future Apple will merge OSX and iOS into a single operating system. The two have been converging in features and design for years, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Never going to happen in our lifetimes.

• Reply 67 of 201

Quote:

I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called.

Ocelot?

• Reply 68 of 201
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Going forward I am more concerned about the issue raised by John Siracusa in his review of ML:

"How many more changes can Objective-C bear? The amount of syntax piggybacking on the poor @character is already getting a bit out of hand. This is the price of C (and C++) compatibility, I suppose, but I still feel like this all has to come to a head eventually.

It's hard to argue with the results so far, however. Through hard work and extremely clever engineering, Apple's language and compiler team has been able to hold its own against the youngsters with their virtual machines and dynamic languages for the past seven years. I wouldn't bet against them keeping up for at least seven more."

If OSX is going to hit a wall then each year brings us closer to that wall. What are the plans to avoid this? And where is the needed new file system? 

see 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/17/#objective-c-enhancements

• Reply 69 of 201
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    adam_apple wrote: »
    I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called. What big cats are left? They've already done cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion.... What's left?

I vote for White Lion. Rare but beautiful!
  • Reply 70 of 201
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

I vote for White Lion. Rare but beautiful!

If they truly "integrate" iOS into OS X, the cross-breed mix "Liger" would be perf...

(Lion/Tiger mix - and, yes, I grew up seeing one in the local (SLC) zoo, where "Shasta the Liger" was a major attraction for over 20 years, and is still memorialized today.)

• Reply 71 of 201
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm almost positive Tim Cook or one of the other higher-ups at Apple had said that Mountain Lion was going to be the final version of OSX... so could these instances of 10.9 actually be a cue that OSXI will be released this year?
  • Reply 72 of 201

Originally Posted by deekster_caddy View Post

Why might Snow Leopard get another update? I know it won't but I'd love to be able to access my Photo Stream. But that's for another topic. Just hopeful is all.

Mountain Lion is $20. Lion is $30. And your computer has to be ~five years old not to run Mountain Lion, much less Lion.

• Reply 73 of 201
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

The same way people look forward to an IMac release even if they habpve no intention of buying this year.   

I have to agree about Safari.    There isn't a driving force for change because there isn't a huge need. Apple has at this point a good solid 64 bit OS in Mac OS/X it doesn't need a lot of change   Especially not change for the sake of change.  

However I do expect a lot of incremental improvements and probably more integration with things like Passbook.   I'd also expect expect a few new features.   I'm really thinking it is time for Apple to deliver a universal scripting system, that is a common language for both the iOS devices and Mac systems.   Finally they really need to do something about the mess that is iCloud.  

As to upgrades I do them immediately upon arrival.  As you note they are cheap but more importantly each release brings with it an improved operating system and a series of included apps.  For the modest cost each update has generally improved the performance of my old Mac Book Pro. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why? No one knows what's in it, so how can you be looking forward to it?

From my perspective, since about 10.6, there's been little driving force for a change. I don't have anything that really needs to be changed (with one exception - Safari memory leaks), so I'm completely indifferent to a new OS.

That, of course, is balanced by the fact that upgrades are so easy and inexpensive that it's a matter of "might as well, even though I don't need it".

• Reply 74 of 201

How about Maine Coon?   

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

I wonder what Mac OSX 10.9 will be called. What big cats are left? They've already done cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard, lion, mountain lion.... What's left?

After they finish with Mac OSX 10.9 though, they have to go to Mac OSXI 11.0. Mac OSX 10.10 would just be the same as Mac OSX 10.1.

• Reply 75 of 201
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbowood View Post

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm almost positive Tim Cook or one of the other higher-ups at Apple had said that Mountain Lion was going to be the final version of OSX... so could these instances of 10.9 actually be a cue that OSXI will be released this year?

They have never said anything of the sort or even hinted in that direction, so your recollections are faulty.  Given that, how likely do you think it is that you are accurate about OS XI?  

Besides which there will never be an "OS XI."  It makes literally no sense at all to use that name.  It's just something that obsessive compulsive geeks (you know the type that still make fun of people who say "Oh-Ess-Ex" instead of "Oh-Ess-Ten"), like to obsess about.  

- Why does it have to go from 10.10 to 11.0 instead of 10.11?  No reason at all. 

- Why would Apple give up the best branding they ever had (OS X) for "OS XI" which the average person won't be able to even read?  No reason at all. 

The day Apple comes out with OS XI, you can sell your stock because they will have proved themselves idiots who don't have a clue.  It'a far more likely that they just say "It's just called OS X from now on" (pronounced "Oh-Ess-Ex" the way 99% of the public pronounces it) and then hide the version numbers underneath and never talk about them again, instead giving each new release a snappy name (hopefully completely unrelated to the tacky cat-names).  

The general public doesn't give a crap about what version they are on, they certainly don't care (and most don't even know) what "point" version they are on.  Apple should really just move to automatic updates in the background without even giving the users the ability to opt out.  

• Reply 76 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    paxman wrote: »
    <strong id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1359751251572_995" style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">jragosta</strong>
    , you really are sad if you can't look forward to an event without knowing all it will entail.

That's absurd. I never said that you need to know all that it would entail. I just said there's no reason to get excited when you know NOTHING about what it will entail.

I could just as easily argue that your life must be very shallow if you get excited and look forward to something that you know nothing about.
  • Reply 77 of 201

In this context it isn't a decimal point, rather it is simply a separator.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

And in case you guys didn't know, adding a 0 on the end of a decimal is pointless. lol

• Reply 78 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »
    Great point as always jrag. That iCloud thing sucks. I hate having contacts, calendars, notes, photostream, bookmarks and messages sync with my Mac.
    Sarcasm on all 3 sentences btw.

Actually, there's a strong argument for saying that iCloud was a major step backwards - which simply supports my argument.

The main thing I used mac.com for was iDisk - I could mirror ALL my files to the iDisk and have them shared among my computers as well as a secure off-line backup. When Apple replaced that with iCloud, it was a big let down - since most of my files are from apps that don't support iCloud's backup storage.
  • Reply 79 of 201

What advantage is there for Appleton do this and more importantly how can Apple's customer base leverage such an abortion?     Right now the two OS compliment each other.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashxx View Post

I think iOS and OS X will combine at some point! Will it be with iOS 7 and OS 11????

• Reply 80 of 201

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Besides which there will never be an "OS XI."  It makes literally no sense at all to use that name.

Yep, there will never be an iPad mini. You're right about that.

OF COURSE there will be an OS XI. We've had ten OS'… and so the number that comes next is… ?

- Why does it have to go from 10.10 to 11.0 instead of 10.11?  No reason at all. 

Right, but how does that preclude the existence of an OS XI?

- Why would Apple give up the best branding they ever had (OS X) for "OS XI" which the average person won't be able to even read?  No reason at all. 

The subjective best branding they've ever subjectively had? You mean the names that change every year and a half and which people don't seem to mind seeing changed? "iPhone OS" became "iOS"; they didn't bat an eye.

It'a far more likely that they just say "It's just called OS X from now on"…

"I can't wait for OS X's new version: 10.572!" ????

(pronounced "Oh-Ess-Ex" the way 99% of the public pronounces it)

A~nd there goes the argument.

…and then hide the version numbers underneath and never talk about them again…

So only making it MORE confusing when they go to get help from the people who care. Got it.

Apple should really just move to automatic updates in the background without even giving the users the ability to opt out.  

Phenomenally terrible idea.