HP trying to mend ties with Apple customers while demoing new gear at Macworld

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

Nope. Not recognised. Not one little bit.

So you don't see a "Scan" tab here? Just print? Does it recognize the printer itself correctly (by showing a picture of the correct model)?

• Reply 22 of 53
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This wouldn't be too bad (I don't use inkjets anymore because of this crap, and I don't imagine I'll ever go back) if the ink wasn't $16,000 a gallon. If they cut the price, fewer people would complain.

Yeah, I got suckered in on my last inkjet because I got it free with my Mac.  If I actually printed a lot, I could justify the cost of a better printer, but I don't.  However, the fact that almost every time I turn it on a cartridge needs to be replaced is irritating.

• Reply 23 of 53
    They are not compatible and they have no support for Mac users. I have brand new HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus with two paper trays. I still can't select to print to the second tray even with the very latest HP Drivers. The scanner only occasionally finds my Mac via Bonjour and I finally resorted to a USB connection because hooking it up via WIFI meant the printer couldn't be found on any of the computers in the house. Tech support suggested I use a PC. Let's stick with the impressions of 5 years ago because frankly, waterproof ink doesn't make a dang difference if you can't print to the printer in the first place.
  • Reply 24 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by phippster View Post

They are not compatible and they have no support for Mac users. I have brand new HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus with two paper trays. I still can't select to print to the second tray even with the very latest HP Drivers. The scanner only occasionally finds my Mac via Bonjour and I finally resorted to a USB connection because hooking it up via WIFI meant the printer couldn't be found on any of the computers in the house. Tech support suggested I use a PC. Let's stick with the impressions of 5 years ago because frankly, waterproof ink doesn't make a dang difference if you can't print to the printer in the first place.

Granted I have not used the 8600 series, but I do have the 7700 series at home and and a friend of mine (real estate appraiser, does a lot of printing) has an 8500. I have always used mine with WiFi, so that I can have the printer in common area. Configured it using bonjour, and the scanning works really well, both with the flatbed and the feeder. 

On the printing, when using nonstandard paper - photo, labels, envelopes etc. it has to go to the 1st tray. On other print jobs involving regular paper it I have it default to the 2nd tray. I don't remember every having the printer plugged into the USB port. In our household we had 4 (2 kids, 2 adults) users, each with their own Macs needing to print, so connecting it to a single computer was not a viable option. 

When scanning it saves the file directly to my computer either in PDF, JPG or TIFF files.

If the legacy printers are so well supported, I'm not sure why the 8600 would not be. I can't imagine there are all that many differences with the newer printers (at least wrt the drivers).

That said I would not buy the consumer grade inkjet printers from HP. They practically give away those printers and get you big time on the ink.  The OfficeJet Pro printers are much better in this regard with separate black, yellow, cyan and magenta cartridges with reasonable capacities.

• Reply 25 of 53
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    OK...I'll buck the trend here, but I do have to say that my HP Multi-function ink-jet printer has been pretty darned bug-free (knock on wood), and certainly easier to use that my previous Lexmark. Granted, it lives a pretty easy life, as we certainly don't print as much around our house as a small business would, but so far, so good. Just one person's experience...
  • Reply 26 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    auxio wrote: »
    How about really revolutionizing things by creating a printer which doesn't suck ink like a crack whore?

Ink-based printers are bad news. Consumer printers are generally bad news. Multifunction printers are generally bad news. I think most people are better off without a printer, but print services aren't always convenient either for the occasional thing that really does need to be printed. Cheap printers can be such a hassle, and not a lot of people do enough printing to justify buying a more expensive printer.

I have 43,000 pages on my current HP LaserJet plus a few other printers for specific uses. At least can justify having a printer, and one that's a not a consumer device.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Make quality Color/B&W Laser Printers and stop making cheap throw away plastic junk. The big mistake was selling off their Scientific Instruments division, Agilent Technologies. Quality has been a joke ever since.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I recently bought a HP m575n, and I'm pretty happy with it. I've got my old CLS8500n still, but don't need the 12x18 printing ability of that any longer. While I can't say much about their home machines, their commercial models are built very well, and work very well.
  • Reply 29 of 53

Their printers are cheap plasticky, noisy junk...and the ink is way too expensive. I run a Brother MFC595 wireless model. It's OK and I have had no problems with it. I get the ink from Amazon for about 10-20% of the cost of buying it at Target or OfficeMax. No problems with the ink, either.

I'm with some of the previous posters...I'm doing less and  less printing than in the past. I thought I would need new printer for my iOS devices, but don't really need to print anything so I'm going to save the money I would've paid for the new printer.

:)

HP is trying to copy IBM's success and move away from manufacturing and into "Consulting" and "Business Services" Whatever they are? Good luck with that.

• Reply 30 of 53
    The fact that 3/4 of their booth was dedicated to printers shows how out of touch they still are. Think about it... how often do we even use printers any more? The one I have at home has been used maybe 6 times in the past year... and it's usually to print a document for someone else who's still stuck in the 90's. I have friends that literally don't even OWN a printer anymore. At work, I still use a printer for a few small tasks, but most of that waste has been cut down considerably, too.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    This is the best Meg Whitman can do? LOL!
    I remember back in the early 90's when seeing the output from those HP color ink jets was like checking out the newest Apple products. Today it is old hat. And the printers suck now. HP had their Apple-esque moment, then they went down that cheapo road to gain more market share and now they are nothing but ass clowns.
    Flimsy printers and over priced ink.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Apple has a relationship with HP?
  • Reply 33 of 53
    I have a LaserJet MFP (multi-function printer). Scanning on the Mac is a joke compared with Windows. Last year, I embarked upon a many-month project of scanning old photo album photos into my Mac. The HP scanning software doesn't support TWAIN on a Mac, but it does on Windows. I found it easiest to scan my pictures into the Windows version of Picasa (thanks, Parallels!) and then while the Windows volume was mounted (again, thanks, Parallels), import the photos into iPhoto.
  • Reply 34 of 53

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I have 43,000 pages on my current HP LaserJet plus a few other printers for specific uses. At least can justify having a printer, and one that's a not a consumer device.

This whole "replace the drum" thing. I don't really understand that. So it… what, it wears out?

• Reply 35 of 53
    "What's your impression of the relationship between HP and Apple?" the Hewlett-Packard representative asked. "Because I'll bet you it's probably five years out of date."

What he really means to say is "We know we are five years behind the competition but now we are finally trying to catch up"

I bought a brand new HP Laserjet last year with airprint, and mac compatibility stamped on the side of the box. Was it easy to set up? Impossible. I had to connect to a Windows PC in order to set it up for wireless printing. Absolutely pathetic. At lease it is a good sign that they now claim to be trying.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    NO, my impression of HP is NOT 5 years out-of-date. HP is a terrible company with terrible products and even worse Mac support. I attempted to set up several brand new HP printers earlier this year to work wirelessly with a Mac for scanning & printing, and it was a complete nightmare. The setup assistant to configure the scanning & printing kept unexpectedly quitting, and the fax setup assistant kept launching the AppleScript Script Editor with an error. The Indians whom we spoke to at HP Technical Support couldn't help us, either... but then again, who could blame them because they were just reading off of scripts with no real-world knowledge of anything. We finally returned the printers and bought Epson Workforce printers instead... now THOSE are true dreams to work with. I highly recommend the Epson WorkForce line of printers... a snap to setup, a snap to use, and absolutely flawless in day-to-day usage. Now granted, Epson uses Indian call centers as well, but at least their products don't suck so you won't have to call them.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    "What's your impression of the relationship between HP and Apple?" the Hewlett-Packard representative asked. "Because I'll bet you it's probably five years out of date."

Should have said their hardware designs are 5 years out of date.
    "Maybe, incompatibility? Difficult to set up?"

No, that they don't print consistently after about 50 sheets and the refills are too expensive, just like every other printer on the market.
    he smiled, satisfied and slipping into a well-worn groove

I hope he took you to dinner first.
    The attendant went on to show me HP's consumer range of printers first. There was the Officejet 150 Mobile All-in-One, a sleek printer-scanner-copier unit he said "could fit in your backpack." It does in fact look like it could, though I'm still struggling to think of a situation in which I'd want to pack a printer into my messenger bag.

Cool so now the printer can run out of paper, toner and battery power. HP Invent more things that can go wrong.
    He moved on to a more tactile demonstration, pouring a cup of water onto a sheet he'd printed, then rubbing the sheet on his head.

Are you sure this was an HP rep? If that's really what HP is doing, someone needs to switch the sheets just as it comes out the printer.
    I explained that anything beyond a dot-matrix is, to me, an unknowable cauldron of sorcery.
    the pigment did not run, fade, or smear. It left not a mark on his fingers or his silvery mane.
    Their booth team, though, showed no signs of that, all smiles and happy how-do-you-dos and wet printouts rubbed on heads. And howling white terriers, mournful and endlessly looping.

"So, did I change your mind about HP and Apple?" he asked, apparently having forgotten that I'd been of no particular mind on HP and Apple. I figured I'd avoid another awkward exchange.

It sounds pretty awkward, in fact it sounds like a pretty messed up booth altogether. Go back with a video camera and switch the sheets.

HP make some ok devices but I wouldn't say they stand out among the competition. The print technology we have now sucks and they are all ripping people off on refills. People talk about price fixing being illegal but not one of HP, Sony, Samsung, Brother, Lexmark, Epson, Canon, Xerox or Panasonic can come up with competitive refill pricing?

Eventually someone has to figure out how to put the toner in the paper instead of the printer, might as well be you HP. Time to reallocate the innovation budget.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    I don't find HP all that bad when it comes to printers. I've still got my trusty 5550 at home for basic stuff and occasional freelance job works fine on win7.

While my work has a 8year old large format designjet working fine. Price of inks are cheap compared to our canon 4700. Large format inks are ~£20 for mostly 30ml where as canons clock up £10 for 9ml, not to mention the canon inks need replacing far quicker than expect.

Compared to previous model we had pixma 3000(I think) inks lasted 2-3*longer before - noticed they changed the design of the cartridges to a smaller reservoir with a much larger sponge. I suspect causes greater ink unused and wasted.

EDIT: Prior to my current placement, they had a semi large format Epson which was expensive and crap. Could not handle semi complex designs (even before transparency was the rage). Heads needed regular cleaning to smooth banding, eventually boss decided to scrap genuines (£45 tricolour) and refill himself for couple of years till it gave up the ghost.
  • Reply 39 of 53

My first HP printer that came with an HP computer worked for very few pages. HP gave me a credit and a new machine. It is a 4400 series. It gulps ink. It is a good thing that I don't print many pages.

The scanner is just crappy. It says it is a 4800 dpi resolution. To scan anything at that high resolution takes a half an hour. Then it looks like crap on the screen. Adjusting parameters doesn't fix very much.

I think I just want a high quality scanner that can scan very fast. Printing for me is cheaper at Staples (an office supply store). I can e-mail my print jobs to them and pay much less per page than I would using a personal printer. My HP printer still scans but it won't print anymore. Even when it did print, the quality was very low, even with their own paper. I will say that the quality of the paper really makes a difference with the HP printer.

I owned a Brother all in one printer. As soon as the printer died, nothing else worked. There was a class action law suit in the works for that MFC 210 printer but it didn't get anywhere. The attorneys didn't find enough money in it for them to take it all the way to court. I won't buy another Brother product ever. The one I had also wasn't used very often.

• Reply 40 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    This whole "replace the drum" thing. I don't really understand that. So it… what, it wears out?

I've not had to do that yet. Maybe it's built into the toner cartridge? I've not thought about that before, unlike my previous Brother, which wanted a new drum every three cartridges, and that drum was terribly expensive. Mechanically, my LaserJet has done well so far. Something like 34 jams over the life of printing 43,000 pages, most of the pages were printed on both sides.

But not all my HP purchases turned out well. They had color laser printers that would let dust in the optical path, so magenta wouldn't print very well, then yellow, until it is blue and black, fixing it meant disassembling the machine about half way to clean the optics. That said, color document printing doesn't seem worthwhile from any brand.