Apple exec John Couch meets with Turkish president over possible $4.5B iPad buy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's Vice President of Education John Couch on Friday sat down with Turkish President Abdullah G?l in a meeting covering a possible education initiative worth $4.5 billion, as well as the incorrect layout of the Turkish "F-keyboard."

Turkey Meeting
Apple VP John Couch (right) discusses an education initiative with Turkish President Abdullah G?l (left).
Source: President of Turkey's official website

According to Turkish blog Ima Dergisi, Couch was joined by other Apple executives in his meeting with President G?l, which reportedly focused on an educational initiative to put up to 15 million iPads in the hands of Turkey's young students.

Worth some $4.5 billion, the tablet program has Apple pushing for a contract, but a deal has yet to be reached as the parties negotiate further. While not the main topic of discussion, the layout of the Turkish "F-keyboard," which has a number of keys set in the wrong position, was also mentioned.

Most recently, Turkey was introduced to the iPhone 5 on Dec. 14, less than two weeks after Apple launched the iTunes Music Store in the region as part of a 56-country rollout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85

Please don't turn this political. I don't even know how it could—is Turkey even in the news beyond its border with Syria?—but really, there's not going to be much, if any, political reason for this.

While not the main topic of discussion, the layout of the Turkish "F-keyboard," which has a number of keys set in the wrong position, was also mentioned.

Uh, no, it's their positioning, not the "wrong" position… It's no more "wrong" than AZERTY or the Japanese keyboard.

• Reply 2 of 85
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Cha cha Ching
  • Reply 3 of 85
    Uh, no, it's their positioning, not the "wrong" position… It's no more "wrong" than AZERTY or the Japanese keyboard.

I think you misunderstand, Apple accidentally swapped the position of two keys on the Turkish F keyboard from where they're supposed to be. It's a bug.
  • Reply 4 of 85

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

I think you misunderstand, Apple accidentally swapped the position of two keys on the Turkish F keyboard from where they're supposed to be. It's a bug.

Ah! Thanks for the correction. If we see a quick 6.1.1 update that fixes this, we'll know this sale went through.

• Reply 5 of 85
    Apple will have little chance of winning this contract. It will go to the highest bidder and that will be Microsoft. Microsoft has never been shy about spending money and this will be an excellent project to get those ZunePads some quick market share. All Apple wants to do is accumulate reserve cash as a safety net for when all carrier subsidies disappear. Microsoft doesn't need a safety net because Windows OS and Microsoft Office will never go away. A Microsoft tablet venture will only add to sales of both.
  • Reply 6 of 85
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 7 of 85

John Couch is a dedicated company man -- survived both eras of Steve Jobs, despite Steve actively killing his baby (the Lisa).  I was completely surprised by the fact that he's still there -- good for him!

• Reply 8 of 85
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think these figures must be wrong somehow, $4.5bn?
  • Reply 9 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple will have little chance of winning this contract. It will go to the highest bidder and that will be Microsoft. Microsoft has never been shy about spending money and this will be an excellent project to get those ZunePads some quick market share. All Apple wants to do is accumulate reserve cash as a safety net for when all carrier subsidies disappear. Microsoft doesn't need a safety net because Windows OS and Microsoft Office will never go away. A Microsoft tablet venture will only add to sales of both.

Who said they want the surface? Turkey may have sense.

• Reply 10 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

John Couch is a dedicated company man -- survived both eras of Steve Jobs, despite Steve actively killing his baby (the Lisa).  I was completely surprised by the fact that he's still there -- good for him!

You could say he's sitting comfortably. image

• Reply 11 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think these figures must be wrong somehow, $4.5bn?

You do know roughly what an iPad costs, right? The figure would be pretty accurate. Case in point, worldwide in the Christmas quarter just gone, Apple sold 23 million iPads, total. This single order from Turkey would be for 15 million iPads. Why else do you think Apple's running after the order? Sounds tooooooo good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.

• Reply 12 of 85
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sounds to good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.

Yup, I agree.

• Reply 13 of 85
    archarch Posts: 66member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You do know roughly what an iPad costs, right? The figure would be pretty accurate. Case in point, worldwide in the Christmas quarter just gone, Apple sold 23 million iPads, total. This single order from Turkey would be for 15 million iPads. Why else do you think Apple's running after the order? Sounds to good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.

Also most likely these will not be the latest iPad. Maybe iPad2.

• Reply 14 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Of course, for Apple to get the order, they'll have to discount off of list price.

So the headlines will ignore the $4.5 B in added revenue (not to mention the added credibility) and solely mention that Apple's margins fell in that quarter.

Therefore, the stock price will drop.
  • Reply 15 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course, for Apple to get the order, they'll have to discount off of list price.

So the headlines will ignore the $4.5 B in added revenue (not to mention the added credibility) and solely mention that Apple's margins fell in that quarter.

Therefore, the stock price will drop.

Doesn't bother me. I've already lost all my money. I'm getting out of the stock game for good. Life lesson.

• Reply 16 of 85

That's $4.5B down the toilet. 

• Reply 17 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

That's $4.5B down the toilet. 

Troll harder

• Reply 18 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member

This is how a Turkish website is characterizing the meetings with Apple: Turkey doesn't want to be treated as a second-class country anymore. 

http://www.worldbulletin.net/?aType=haber&ArticleID=102678

• Reply 19 of 85

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is how a Turkish website is characterizing the meetings with Apple: Turkey doesn't want to be treated as a second-class country anymore. 

O~f course… 

Look, if they want in on the first run, buy more product.

• Reply 20 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyDude View Post

Yeah!  John looks pretty damn good in that picture -- he is my age, mas o menos.  I thought he retired long ago, and was surprised to learn he is VP of Education at Apple.

John is a very gregarious person and if anyone can close a deal such as this, it is he...

Go John! Go Apple!