Apple launches new high-capacity 128GB Retina display iPad

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 261

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't need an iPhone. I have one because I like it. I'm not pining for one that holds twenty times as much because it doesn't hold my terabytes of media. My iPhone is also three years old. I don't feel a compulsion to get a new one just because.

Let me put it this way: Do you bring everything you own on your trips? You have to leave something behind no matter what, in this case, you'd be leaving something behind that you wouldn't be able to take advantage of having it anyway. During any given trip, how much of the music are you actually going to listen to? For a four week trip, are you actually going to listen to more than 200 hours of audio? And is listening to the same track twice in three weeks really so awful that you desire to take 400 hours of audio, the extra 200 hours of it you're clearly not going to listen to? With the method I described, the tracks on your audio player would be changed out when you get back home to sync, so the next vacation you would be listening to all new audio. So it's not as if the remainder of your library always sits abandoned. It just strikes me as odd that someone would think it's worth replacing a fully functional iPod to carry along 1280 hours of audio instead of "just" 960 hours of audio (160GB at approx. 256kbps). 960 hours is eight and a half weeks of continuous playback without repeats, for every waking hour. Sure, it's your money, but the justification strikes me as insanity when a simple smart playlist simulates the same thing and you'd probably never notice the difference.

I don't bring anything on my trips, but I do take as much as weight restrictions allow and a 160GB iPod is the same weight as a 120GB.

I currently have 1096 hours of music, as much of it, transferred from CD many years ago, is at 128kbps. But it isn't a question of how much of it I actually listen to on holiday, or anywhere else away from home, it's more about having access to exactly what I want to listen to.  We obviously enjoy our music libraries in very different ways; I don't want iTunes or my iPod to dictate what is available to me. If I want to hear a specific Donald Fagen album, then that's what I want to hear, or if I'm in the mood for Kate Bush, Prince, PSB or Frank Ocean, then I want every album of theirs I own available to me, no matter how often I've played them in the past. To be able to do just that for less than 10p per day strikes me as eminently sensible, and a bargain to boot. image