Apple's 128GB iPad aims to drive profits up a path competitors can't easily follow

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 188
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for that picture of the first-gen. Here's a modern iPad.

Thanks, TS.   I see much less space, but still room for a memory slot, just as there's room for a SIM slot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Don't understand it myself. The sheer torture they wish to inflict on themselves is incomprehensible.

You act like people swap cards in and out.  They don't.  Most just buy it and install once.

"Torture" is paying $100 for only 16GB more storage, or $200 to get just 48GB more storage... EVERY time you buy a different device.

"Happy and smart" is paying only ~$25 for an extra 32GB, or ~$60 for an extra 64GB... and even being able to reuse the memory in a different device later on, if you wish.

It's not rocket surgery to see which is the better deal for the consumer.

• Reply 182 of 188
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    "Torture" is paying $100 for only 16GB more storage, or $200 to get just 48GB more storage...

And $300 to get 'just' 112GB.

Really, if you don't understand Apple, well, then you don't understand Apple. They are making it so dead easy, have build in storage, no 'things to think about', no SD Cards, no nothing. Choices are storage, cellular, size and color. That's it. I like their strategy, I like it a lot.

If they would have (an optional) SD Card slot it would open up a can of worms. Questions, support, software config, what goes where, people not understanding why their encyclopaedia app works but doesn't contain any articles (app on NAND, DB on SD) the shit just goes on and on.

And for those that do want SD? Why don't they buy that instead, instead of wanting this in an iPad? Ask yourself this, what good is an SD card slot if you only going to pop in one and leave it at that? If you want to save a buck, don't buy an iPad. Apple will be better off.
  • Reply 183 of 188
    One of Apple's strengths has for 15 years been a great ability to do long term planning and then execute their plans. Let's hope they still have that. It's been about three years now since the iPad intro, which IMO was their last step function in their long term plans. Historically they've executed big impact releases every 3-5 years since the original iMac. So they're coming due on another big step either this year or next. Will be interesting to see what they're working on with all that money.
  • Reply 184 of 188

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Really, if you don't understand Apple, well, then you don't understand Apple. They are making it so dead easy, have build in storage, no 'things to think about', no SD Cards, no nothing. Choices are storage, cellular, size and color. That's it. I like their strategy, I like it a lot.

I'm not debating their strategy or its wisdom.  I'm only disputing your claim that people who want to use SD cards are engaging in some form of torture. 

They're not.  They're saving money that can be used to buy other things.  Like food. Or more gadgets image

Quote:

If they would have (an optional) SD Card slot it would open up a can of worms. Questions, support, software config, what goes where, people not understanding why their encyclopaedia app works but doesn't contain any articles (app on NAND, DB on SD) the shit just goes on and on.

Yep, I agree that a primary reason Apple didn't add card support, was because it was easier for THEM.  

Easier for their programmers writing the OS.  Easier for their helpdesk. 

And yep, it's also easier for some consumers.

• Reply 185 of 188
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Yes, indeed. Very hard to sell a tablet with more SD... No way anyone else can pull it off.

Author predicts enterprises would be very interested in 128gb iPad.  Enterprises are not enamored of devices with removable storage.  Do you need someone to explain why that is so?

• Reply 186 of 188
    For everyone wondering where Apple's official announcement for this is, it is http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/01/29Apple-Increases-iPad-with-Retina-Display-to-128GB.html
  • Reply 187 of 188

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Author predicts enterprises would be very interested in 128gb iPad.  

Enterprises are not enamored of devices with removable storage.  Do you need someone to explain why that is so?

Unless they have lame IT departments, enterprises are prepared when they use removable storage.  

They simply choose devices with file encryption capabilities, either stock or addon.

• Reply 188 of 188
    "Fat" iPad harks back to the second iteration of the original Mac with the bump from a whopping 128Kb to 512kb. Those were heady bumps back then...."ah the power of it all...."