Traffic from Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 continues to grow

Comments

• Reply 141 of 201
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    javacowboy wrote: »
    My problem definitely happened later than 10.2. Perhaps I hit an edge case, so rarely doesn't mean never?

Rarely doesn't mean never but it also doesn't mean that Apple should write a utility that will let users defrag their disks.

This is a good article: http://tidbits.com/article/7254
  • Reply 142 of 201
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This is a good article: http://tidbits.com/article/7254

Thanks for the good read. But it's 10 years old and (therefore) only covers HDD. I don't like HDD's; is there a similar article on SSD? And with similar I mean quality-wise, because the author did a thorough job!
  • Reply 143 of 201
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for the good read. But it's 10 years old and (therefore) only covers HDD. I don't like HDD's; is there a similar article on SSD? And with similar I mean quality-wise, because the author did a thorough job!

Not that I'm aware of.

I would imagine that using a defrag designed for an HDD would make the SSD perform worse. Since SSDs are an array of NAND chips that use a control to orchestrate file placement over multiple chips to increase performance. This is not unlike how RAID 0 works.
  • Reply 144 of 201
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Time to go now as I am looking forward to a nice steak dinner… which may end up giving me food poisoning or E.coli but that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it.

The difference, of course, is that in your example, you know you're having steak. In the case of OS X 10.9, you have no idea what's includes, what's left out, what bugs there might be, and so on. You also have no idea of timing, and, presumably you're not starving (as in, no fatal flaws that prevent you from using the OS).

A better parallel (using your dinner example) would be for you to get all excited about some particular dinner sometime next summer - you don't know the date, you don't know who you'll be with, you don't know where you're going, and you don't know what you're having. But you're all excited about that dinner. /s
  • Reply 145 of 201
    jragosta wrote: »
    The difference, of course, is that in your example, you know you're having steak. In the case of OS X 10.9, you have no idea what's includes, what's left out, what bugs there might be, and so on. You also have no idea of timing, and, presumably you're not starving (as in, no fatal flaws that prevent you from using the OS).

A better parallel (using your dinner example) would be for you to get all excited about some particular dinner sometime next summer - you don't know the date, you don't know who you'll be with, you don't know where you're going, and you don't know what you're having. But you're all excited about that dinner. /s

In my example I had merely wished for something. There was no telling if I would make it to the restaurant, if they would have steak, if it would be good, if it made sick afterwards, or if anything else happened to foil my expectations. All I have are expextations based on a long history of meal seeking, just like I have with Mac OS X upgrades. Bottom line: I look forward to what the future holds.

I'm also looking forward to the next Iron Man movie due out this Sunmer and I only have two data points for that series. Does that mean I shouldn't plan on seeing it? Does that mean I am not allowed to look forward to it? I think you are bot understanding what the words 'look' and 'forward' mean in this context.

PS: Tomorrow may be a bad day for me and yet I am looking forward to it because within it lies and opportunity to be a great day.
  • Reply 146 of 201
    javacowboy wrote: »
    How about a new filesystem in 10.9 not one that leaves .DS_Store droppings and requires me to pay for a defrag app?

You shouldn't need to defrag on any modern filesystem unless the filesystem is almost full, and even then it may still defrag itself in the background. While I'm not entirely sure of how HFS+ works specifically, modern filesystems are designed to store larger files as far away from each other and fill the gaps with smaller files starting before the first block of large files, leaving some room between all files so that they can be appended to. The point of filling the gaps with smaller files is to make it easier to move them elsewhere when a bigger file needs to grow, thus completely avoiding fragmentation in the first place.

While I agree that leaving metadata laying around as files is ugly, the alternative, xattr, isn't pretty either. OS X already uses xattr in incomprehensible ways to perform backward compatibility hacks, in some cases going as far as to store the entire contents of a file in the metadata rather than the file itself. I don't see much of a problem with HFS+; the problem I see is with the way Apple handles it in an attempt to ensure that your Puma system can still retrieve files from your Mountain Lion system in Target Disk mode.
  • Reply 147 of 201
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    3) I would love for the .DS_Store files to go away completely in favour for a more modern way of storing data about folder states (and one that worked consistently, especially for maintaining window sizes and positions in Finder) but if you don't like seeing .DS_Store files when you look for .vimrc files then I'd say the problem is with you needing to see files that are designed to be hidden. That's what the preceding period is telling the system.

Metadata in general, and OS / application-specific metadata in particular, should not be represented as files. This is to prevent standard UNIX tools such as tar and rsync from storing those files where they don't make sense. POSIX provides extended attributes (xattr), which OS X already uses and in some cases abuses for metadata storage; it just sucks that not all metadata is stored in xattr and in some cases file contents are stored as metadata for backward compatibility. One of the things I'd like to see done is Apple's use of metadata, and in turn xattr, completely overhauled, but due to backward compatibility I don't think they will ever do this.
  • Reply 148 of 201

Pinenut approves. :)

• Reply 149 of 201
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Metadata in general, and OS / application-specific metadata in particular, should not be represented as files. This is to prevent standard UNIX tools such as tar and rsync from storing those files where they don't make sense. POSIX provides extended attributes (xattr), which OS X already uses and in some cases abuses for metadata storage; it just sucks that not all metadata is stored in xattr and in some cases file contents are stored as metadata for backward compatibility. One of the things I'd like to see done is Apple's use of metadata, and in turn xattr, completely overhauled, but due to backward compatibility I don't think they will ever do this.

I also would like to see Finder use filesystem attributes (on folders) to store window/icon positions. .DS_Store files are surely universally despised.

• Reply 150 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    cashxx wrote: »
    I think iOS and OS X will combine at some point! Will it be with iOS 7 and OS 11????

You mean iOOSSX 18? ;)
  • Reply 151 of 201
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I was maybe a bit strident there, but I have American friends and yet (if I'm honest), my "gut" reaction to the Bald Eagle imagery and flag waving etc. is usually "f*ck that noise".  

From the outside, American patriotism is just as distasteful as any other, perhaps more so.  Americans are one of the few peoples that still do all that flag-waving junk.  It's passé and tacky at best.  You don't see rippling flag imagery and misty eyed eagles on Apple's website for instance.  I can't think they've ever even had an American flag up once in all their history.  

Most people I know purposely avoid websites and companies in America that use that sort of imagery.     
    America > The World

What's up?
  • Reply 152 of 201
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    10.11) I agree with the lack of value and potential harm of going with a national symbol like the bald eagle but I can't say I've ever been in a country where I felt the country was as a whole anti-American. I've been to 40 something countries, give or take a few depending on if you count the various sovereign states and principalities and whatnot. Does the Vatican count as one? Do N. Ireland, Scotland, Wales and GB count as 4, do I only get to count it as UK, or do I get 5, one for each of those plus the UK on top of it? I counted Vatican as one, and I counted the territories in the UK as 4 but didn't count the UK as it was redundant to the land it covered.

10.12) The most anti-American comments I've ever heard were in Madrid, Spain by an Irish man who was telling me at a bar how the Americans deserved 9/11.

10.13) Just like on this forum I've found that your country of origin has no barring on if you are intelligent or rational individual, My feeling is that people around the world have the same basic dreams and desires as everyone else.

10.14) Usually when I make a typo the context is still understandable but that last comment had me re-reading my owns to figure out what I was trying to say.

Just to add my 2 pretty qualified cents to speak on this ... and I say this to the OP as well and refer to the UK v US feelings not some of the later more specific issues raised in that sub-thread . Having had almost 30 years living in first UK and then nearly 25 in USA I can see where this comes from. Many Brits do find the US to be somewhat jingoistic and the flag waving is the best example of this trait in those people's eyes. However, I'd say having now lived here a long time (married to an American) I understand it is a cultural difference and it isn't really jingoism. The UK was, in my time there, a place with a more reserved attitude than here in the US and brashness was felt to be obnoxious. In the US an exuberance of love for country and all that goes with that is simply something instilled from birth. It is not specific to any particular class, ethnicity nor political leaning, it just is. I confess it grows on you after living here a very long time. I am dual nationality and have no axe (ax) to grind. By the way, most Brits I have ever known do have a fond feeling for America ... I often heard jokes about they'd rather be the 51st State than join Europe and I am not sure it really was a joke!
  • Reply 153 of 201
    OSX 10.10 is most certainly not the same as 10.1. The versions are just numbers separated by a period (not a decimal point) 10.4.11 does not look like a valid number does it... so why should 10.10?
  • Reply 154 of 201
    Just to add my 2 pretty qualified cents to speak on this ... and I say this to the OP as well and refer to the UK v US feelings not some of the later more specific issues raised in that sub-thread . Having had almost 30 years living in first UK and then nearly 25 in USA I can see where this comes from. Many Brits do find the US to be somewhat jingoistic and the flag waving is the best example of this trait in those people's eyes. However, I'd say having now lived here a long time (married to an American) I understand it is a cultural difference and it isn't really jingoism. The UK was, in my time there, a place with a more reserved attitude than here in the US and brashness was felt to be obnoxious. In the US an exuberance of love for country and all that goes with that is simply something instilled from birth. It is not specific to any particular class, ethnicity nor political leaning, it just is. I confess it grows on you after living here a very long time. I am dual nationality and have no axe (ax) to grind. By the way, most Brits I have ever known do have a fond feeling for America ... I often heard jokes about they'd rather be the 51st State than join Europe and I am not sure it really was a joke!

I don't consider pre-concieved notions like excessive patriotism or other stereotypes to be a hatred for another nation. You still hear the classic jab by Americans to say the English have bad teeth just as you hear the English and Americans make fun of the French, and everyone else call Americans obese and lazy. I don't consider those to be xenophobic comments.
  • Reply 155 of 201
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's absurd. I never said that you need to know all that it would entail. I just said there's no reason to get excited when you know NOTHING about what it will entail.

I could just as easily argue that your life must be very shallow if you get excited and look forward to something that you know nothing about.

Really?

Try the music metaphor. "I'm excited for the ______ band's next album!" Or the movies, "I'm excited to watch the next Pixar feature". Maybe your favorite carmaker is updating your favorite car, but you haven't seen it. How about the old MacWorld keynotes? Or the WWDC keynotes? If you've never been excited for some group's or organization's next iteration without knowing anything about it, ever, then maybe, just maybe you're a bit too regimented.

Sure, there will probably be downsides, but that happens, the positive usually outweighs the negatives. If it doesn't, and they fail to live up to reasonable expectations often enough, then the company is sunk, it's in Apple's best interest to make it worth buying.
  • Reply 156 of 201

I like it.  Change from cats to birds.     Why so anti-American?      

• Reply 157 of 201
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I think the recent desktop switch to space imagery is a good direction to go.  They should ditch the tacky kitty-cat crap altogether and go with space/galaxy type names.  

I'm pretty much convinced that the Samsung "Galaxy" name is a direct reference to the OS X galaxy desktop picture. It fits perfectly with the "what would/should Apple do next" strategy that Samsung adopted in the last few years. 

They have a line of phones called "Galaxy", why don't they all ship with a galaxy wallpaper as a default? Because it would make it too obvious...

• Reply 158 of 201

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

I'm pretty much convinced that the Samsung "Galaxy" name is a direct reference to the OS X galaxy desktop picture.

I'm going to file this in the very short drawer of "unfounded conspiracy theories to which I subscribe, if only in jest".

• Reply 159 of 201
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

I'm pretty much convinced that the Samsung "Galaxy" name is a direct reference to the OS X galaxy desktop picture. It fits perfectly with the "what would/should Apple do next" strategy that Samsung adopted in the last few years. 

They have a line of phones called "Galaxy", why don't they all ship with a galaxy wallpaper as a default? Because it would make it too obvious...

Samsung's Galaxy smartphone moniker rolled out back in 2009.

• Reply 160 of 201
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Samsung's Galaxy smartphone moniker rolled out back in 2009.

Mac OS X Leopard retail box, released October 26 2007.

Time machine also had an animated galaxy background and was an heavily advertised new feature in Leopard. 

I'm not saying Samsung "stole" anything. One could say its a "smart" marketing move on their part to ride the space themed Apple marketing with their Galaxy phones, and screw Apple which seemed to be looking at using space terms and imagery to get away from the cat naming convention. 

Anyway let me readjust my tinfoil hat. image