HP trying to mend ties with Apple customers while demoing new gear at Macworld

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That said, color document printing doesn't seem worthwhile from any brand.

You know what, I'm feeling the same thing. We'd probably have to spend a couple thousand on a professional machine (and more on the toner…) to get the look we want. 

• Reply 42 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This whole "replace the drum" thing. I don't really understand that. So it… what, it wears out?

You bet.  In industry parlance, it's a photoreceptor drum.  It's the sensitive coating on it that wears out (after enduring however many automated cleaning cycles it was designed for).

Speaking of which, I'm not impressed with our 18-month-old HP color laser at the office; it is the neediest device I've ever encountered.  For the amount of printing it produces, it tears through toner cartridges like nobody's business.  And oh-so-slow to get back to being productive after a cartridge replacement.

• Reply 43 of 53
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

In other words, a printer/scanner maker is talking about compatibility with a system whose maker didn't even care to attend the show. Sounds surreal, but it's actually a portrait of the real Mac situation.

• Reply 44 of 53

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

Sounds surreal, but it's actually a portrait of the real Mac situation.

What real Mac situation?

• Reply 45 of 53
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Like others.  I will never purchase another HP printer.

Way too many issues.. it has not worked far more often than it has.  Next go around, I'm buying Epson or Canon.

• Reply 46 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moofpup View Post

You forgot to mention bad print and scanner drivers (full of bugs and processor hungry).

Exactly. My last HP printer (Laserjet 1022) was summarily abandoned by HP. That's my biggest beef with them. They simply stop supporting their equipment after a short time and their drivers are crap. Same goes for Canon in my opinion. I have settled on Epson or Brother. My old Epson canner is still supported on Mountain Lion. 

• Reply 47 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecs View Post

In other words, a printer/scanner maker is talking about compatibility with a system whose maker didn't even care to attend the show. Sounds surreal, but it's actually a portrait of the real Mac situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What real Mac situation?

He's a disgruntled Mac user who thinks Apple lost its way by making anything other than a desktop Mac. If you read his post history his post makes sense (to him.)

• Reply 48 of 53
    I don't know about crack whores either, but when my network HP Officejet Pro refused to work because the (almost new) yellow cartridge was "empty" and the also fairly new black came up empty (if I print 10 pages a month, that's a lot), I said 'enough' and got a Brother. It was a PITA to set up for wireless, but I'm still on the starter ink cartridges nearly 4 months later. The HP has been donated to a thrift store. Hope they sell it cheaply enough so the buyer can afford to replace the ink frequently!
  • Reply 49 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wish HP the best. Considering it's better than Dell.

You mean Lexmark, Which of course explains a few things.

• Reply 50 of 53

HP needs to stop telling me when my half full ink cartridges have "expired", even though they are perfectly fine. On some of the newer models the printer won't let you circumvent the expiration notice and it won't print, period. If you want to start that nonsense, then give credit for the ink in the tank.

They also need to stop my printer from performing full cleaning cycles every time it wakes up, that really eats the ink.

In their defense, all the reviews I'm reading on Canon and Epson are giving me the same message, the newer printers eat ink with their bloody cleaning cycles.

Finally, whose stupid idea was it to do away with direct to CD/DVD printing? According to an HP employee I spoke to yesterday who was promoting HP in a big box store, it's the number one request from all of the visitors, where's the CD/DVD printing?? Is there some kind of patent dispute going on that I don't know about?

Anyway, I own a Photosmart Premium All in one (309a) and the wireless broke on that a while back, so I have to use USB again. HP has never been any help with the issue of the paper feed, which was one of the worst I've ever experienced. The cleaning cycles drive me nuts on that bloody thing! I wake it up for a photocopy, it cleans all the printer heads and I realize the 1 copy will cost me $2.00, it's just wrong. I also own a C6180 All in one. The paper feed is far superior and the printer works well, but has the ink and cleaning cycle problem as well. At least I can hit a couple of buttons and circumvent the ink issue though, which is a plus. I like HP but these will be my last two HP printers unless they make significant improvements and provide CD/DVD printing again.

I wish to God they'd finally introduce the Memjet technology line of printers here in the U.S. All the big printer companies are crapping their pants because they know the second we get our hands on one, their days of exploiting us all with their costly ink are over. 60 pages a minute and 30 pages a minute in full color, phenomenal!!!! All this AND refillable ink cartridges!!

What bugs the hell out of me is that no one is willing to make the leap and invest in tooling to make a printer. Of course, they're going to be expensive because let's face it, HP, Epson and Canon all subsidize their printer sales in the full knowledge they'll whack us all on the cost of ink. I don't mind paying $1,500 for a good home office printer if I can get rid of the ink pickpockets though!

MEMJET, IT'S TIME.... Get this bloody technology out to us already, you've been messing around with label machines and commercial printers too long!! Time to throw the little people a bone! Your printers are already available in Europe, here's a huge market just waiting to be exploited!

• Reply 51 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    svesan03 wrote: »
    HP needs to stop telling me when my half full ink cartridges have "expired", even though they are perfectly fine. On some of the newer models the printer won't let you circumvent the expiration notice and it won't print, period. If you want to start that nonsense, then give credit for the ink in the tank.

They also need to stop my printer from performing full cleaning cycles every time it wakes up, that really eats the ink.

In their defense, all the reviews I'm reading on Canon and Epson are giving me the same message, the newer printers eat ink with their bloody cleaning cycles.

The entire industry is clearly asking for a shake-up. The way they're doing business, it seems like they're trying to drive customers away from printing. I just wonder where the tipping point is when people give up on the expectation of home printing.

Finally, whose stupid idea was it to do away with direct to CD/DVD printing? According to an HP employee I spoke to yesterday who was promoting HP in a big box store, it's the number one request from all of the visitors, where's the CD/DVD printing?? Is there some kind of patent dispute going on that I don't know about?

I think Epson holds the US patents. Some competing models can be altered with parts from the European models. My Canon only required a plastic disc tray, a region setting and (I think) European drivers to get optical disc printing.

I wish to God they'd finally introduce the Memjet technology line of printers here in the U.S. All the big printer companies are crapping their pants because they know the second we get our hands on one, their days of exploiting us all with their costly ink are over. 60 pages a minute and 30 pages a minute in full color, phenomenal!!!! All this AND refillable ink cartridges!!

It looks like Memjet is only targetting the commercial markets. If you don't need color, I suggest a laser printer. I think it's better to give up color printing or farm it out to a dedicated print shop than spend what it takes to do it well in-house.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    I wish he'd asked me that question. My response would have been "My impression on using HP products with my Apple products is bad. Perhaps you could produce an updated driver so I can use my all-in-one printer/scanner/fax so that I can actually scan and fax (as well as print)from OS X...I see you have no problem providing updated drivers and apps for Windows Vista/7/8 for the same product.'
  • Reply 53 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Exactly. My last HP printer (Laserjet 1022) was summarily abandoned by HP. That's my biggest beef with them. They simply stop supporting their equipment after a short time and their drivers are crap.

In all fairness...

LaserJet 1022 @ Amazon
    "Date first available at Amazon.com: October 2, 2001"

Exactly when did you buy it? Because I think supporting a model for about 11 years (Up to Windows 7 and Mac OS 10.7) is pretty astonishing these days.

If it's a PCL printer, it is possible you can make a driver for a different printer. I made an old guy's parallel port LaserJet work under Windows 7 using a USB adapter, when I found a mention of a driver for a newer printer as one that works with the printer, because they were both similar level PCL printers.