iOS 6 jailbreak arrives; URL detection bug crashes most OS X apps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hackers on Monday released a long-awaited untethered software "jailbreak" of Apple's iOS 6. Separately, a newly discovered bug causes most Mountain Lion applications to crash by typing in just 8 characters.

'Evasi0n' brings jailbreak to iPhone 5, iPad mini

Jailbreak

For the first time ever, iPhone 5 and iPad mini owners can jailbreak their device with the release of Evasi0n, the new jailbreak for Apple's iOS 6 mobile operating system. The software hack is available to implement via OS X, Windows, and Linux.

The new jailbreak is untethered, which means users will not have to reconnect their device to a computer to restart it. The hack is compatible with all iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models running iOS 6.0 through iOS 6.1.

Users are advised to backup their device through iTunes or iCloud before beginning the jailbreak process. It's also recommended to disable any passcode locks on an iOS device, as they can cause issues.

Jailbreaking is a legal but warranty voiding process that utilizes exploits in the iOS software to allow users to run unauthorized code. By jailbreaking an iPhone or iPad, users can add features and software not allowed by Apple, such as custom themes or user interface tweaks.

Apple advises against jailbreaking iOS devices, as the unauthorized modification could lead to system instability, compromised security, shortened battery life, and other potential issues.

Minor OS X crashing bug gains attention

OS X

Last week, a URL detection flaw discovered in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion was publicized and gained attention for the ease with which users can cause almost any Mac application to crash. This can be accomplished by entering "file:///", with an uppercase 'F', into a standard text input space.

Doing this will cause a number of OS X applications, such as TextEdit, to automatically crash. The issue arises from the ability of OS X to detect that the user has input a URL.

Apple's Advanced Technology Group invented "data detectors" in the mid-1990s. The feature fist appeared in the Mac operating system, and allowed the OS to recognized formatted data, like a phone number, within an unstructured document, enabling a user to take action upon the data recognized.

While the bug is interesting because of the ease with which it causes an application to crash, the specific issue is unlikely to have much of an effect on users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Interesting.

Dailytech.com author is writing about "[B]File:///[/B]", while AppleInsider is writing about "[B]"file:///", with an uppercase 'F'[/B]".

Which OS are authors using, I wonder..? ;)

Though according to Dailytech, other versions of "file" (such as all-lowercase) can also crash application, in some scenarios.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    thonthon Posts: 1member

Not sure I understand why you would lump these two stories together.  At a quick glance, the title implies the jailbreak crashes 'most OSX apps'.

Am I the only one who read it that way?

• Reply 3 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I have rarely typed that string with two slashes... maybe 3 times in my life... and never with three. If I did, it would be in TextWrangler, which is unaffected. Interesting bug, though. I can see how it might not be caught: few would ever type that, and then someone might not realize what the trigger was and fail to report it accurately to Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

"This can be accomplished by entering "file:///", with an uppercase 'F', into a standard text input space"

Alright. 

What sort of average consumer would actually type that?    *confused*

• Reply 5 of 40
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    There could be a way to cause (a little) mayhem by delivering this File:/// string to someone (perhaps using JavaScript or convincing someone to copy and paste text including this). What's the over-under on how long until Apple fixes this? 3 weeks?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thon View Post

Not sure I understand why you would lump these two stories together.  At a quick glance, the title implies the jailbreak crashes 'most OSX apps'.

Am I the only one who read it that way?

No you are not the only one. 

• Reply 7 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Should assertions be compiled in to your release build? Still, an easy enough bug to make and fix.

• Reply 8 of 40
    "The feature fist appeared..." I didn't realise it even had hands!
  • Reply 9 of 40

We had fun with this command at work today....

• Reply 10 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    quadra 610 wrote:
    What sort of average consumer would actually type that?    *confused*

If you save a webpage and open it, the URL begins with that - it's a sort of local version of http://. It's unlikely that it would be entered with nothing after it but it's worrying that applications crash because of this. If someone sends a tweet or email with it for example, does it crash those apps? The data detection process should be able to crash without taking the application with it.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Should assertions be compiled in to your release build? Still, an easy enough bug to make and fix.

Still a text input by a non-su/wheel user should not be able to access files in "/" anyway so the third slash should trigger some defense with or without a capital "F".

• Reply 12 of 40
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Nikon133 ... according to Dailytech, other versions of "file" (such as all-lowercase) can also crash application, in some scenarios.

This is false actually.  It has to be uppercase.  

Which is whyyour stupid-ass post is crashing anyone who tries to answer it dumbass!

• Reply 13 of 40
    Last week, a URL detection flaw discovered in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion <a href="http://openradar.appspot.com/13128709">was publicized</a> and gained attention for the ease with which users can cause almost any Mac application to crash. This can be accomplished by entering "file:///", with an uppercase 'F', into a standard text input space.

I'm surprised to see AppleInsider talk about a "URL." Isn't it supposed to be RUL? /s
  • Reply 14 of 40
    gazoobee wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">This is false actually.  It has to be uppercase.  </span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Which is whyyour stupid-ass post is crashing anyone who tries to answer it dumbass!</span>

Yeah, dailytech.com is staffed by Microsoft/ Windows/ PC apologists. Those guys view everything Apple-related with barely disguised contempt.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Like others, the title implies that the new jailbreak will cause bug crashes to most OS X apps. You really should either clean up the title or preferably separate the stories entirely. If I didn't know better it would almost seem intentional to lump these together to dissuade people from jailbreaking. 

• Reply 16 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hackers on Monday released a long-awaited untethered software "jailbreak" of Apple's iOS 6. 

'Evasi0n' brings jailbreak to iPhone 5, iPad mini

No mention of a jailbreak for AppleTV 3? I'll go buy one today (okay, next week) if I can put Plex on it :)

• Reply 17 of 40
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

No mention of a jailbreak for AppleTV 3? I'll go buy one today (okay, next week) if I can put Plex on it :)

Save yourself some time and get a Roku 2 XS. Works great and you can get them refurbed for $60.00

• Reply 18 of 40

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Like others, the title implies that the new jailbreak will cause bug crashes to most OS X apps. 

I really don't see where there would be confusion. The title's separated. 

• Reply 19 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Save yourself some time and get a Roku 2 XS. Works great and you can get them refurbed for $60.00

Oh, I have a Roku and love it, but I also have a first generation AppleTV and still prefer its interface. Also I suspect the Plex app folks are using on the AppleTV 2 (judging by the iPhone app) is superior to the one written for the Roku (the Roku app works fine but is lacking much of the interface customization and improvements on the iOS and Mac clients).

• Reply 20 of 40
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    Typing that on TextEdit causes it to crash on an exception, which subsequently causes the report form to crash as well when the same string is displayed. It's hilarious.