Traffic from Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 continues to grow

Comments

• Reply 181 of 201
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Probably because there's nothing inconsistent about it.

Applications with only ever one window will quit if you close said window. Applications that can have multiple windows remain open.
    The red button should quit only, not quit current session and leave app running in the background. I know I'm arguing a 10+ year old fight, but to me, that's inconsistent. If what you claim is true, why does iCal stay open when you close with the red button? Why does finder never fully quit? Forget that I know why it doesn't have the ability to quit fully, why have the dock light on an app that's not designed to quit? What about iTunes app? I can see the red button to close but leave open if there are already multiple window open, but when only one window is open it should quit. To me that's just creating a resource issue, and its not clear enough that is its intended function. Sure seasoned veterans are used to it, but if you're trying to convert the window crowd, keep it simple. Don't force me to splat-q or look to quit in a menu bar. That's a bit archaic if you ask me. Kind of like forcing us to delete in finder by dragging to trash rather than the simpler delete key or splat-x.

Some other UI features I'd like to see are the rubber band drag to refresh in iTunes, or even better in Safari. I'd love to see that in iOS Safari as well. Or even drag to refresh in mail. Or heck, if the mail function icons were a bit more intuitive to read.
  • Reply 182 of 201

Perhaps an overwhelmingly poor upgrade from the not confusing Windows 7 to the WTF Window 8 is what you're looking for? I'm fine with incremental. I don't have the time or patience to learn a whole new UI! Do you? Apple does "Revolutionary" with some product every few years or so, but after that it's "Evolutionary", just as it should be. A good example might be Adobe's Photoshop. I started with v2.5 in 1993. Learned it inside and out. Every version since then has been Evolutionary with some Revolutionary new features. As a result, I don't spend forever getting up to speed with the new versions as they emerge.

• Reply 183 of 201

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

The red button should quit only, not quit current session and leave app running in the background. I know I'm arguing a 10+ year old fight, but to me, that's inconsistent.

The red button is on a window, and as such it closes that window. If no other windows can be, the application quits to save those resources.

If what you claim is true, why does iCal stay open when you close with the red button?

Because it has multiple windows available.

Why does finder never fully quit? 

You're kidding, right? 

Forget that I know why it doesn't have the ability to quit fully…

Oh, it does. That's just not activated by default because it's the equivalent on a PC of "quitting" Explorer.

…why have the dock light on an app that's not designed to quit? 

Because it can officially quit and does crash, and this is an indicator thereof.

What about iTunes app?

Once again, multiple windows possible.

Don't force me to splat-q or look to quit in a menu bar. That's a bit archaic if you ask me. Kind of like forcing us to delete in finder by dragging to trash rather than the simpler delete key or splat-x.

So "don't force me to do this; that's like forcing me not to do this"…?

Some other UI features I'd like to see are the rubber band drag to refresh in iTunes, or even better in Safari. I'd love to see that in iOS Safari as well. Or even drag to refresh in mail. Or heck, if the mail function icons were a bit more intuitive to read.

In OS X, there's no "drag" yet. It's just "push", which doesn't lend itself as well to this. But you're right; once Apple's desktop OS goes fully multitouch, I'd love to see this.

• Reply 184 of 201
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    What about iTunes app? I can see the red button to close but leave open if there are already multiple window open, but when only one window is open it should quit. To me that's just creating a resource issue, and its not clear enough that is its intended function.

So every time I close the final window in iTunes the Apple TV will stop being able to read from my iTunes Library? That would not be a good move.

What annoys me with iTunes is that if I only have the video/album window open and I click the icon in the Dock it does nothing when I expect it to open up the Library window again. Instead I either have to close the video/album player then click the icon again (fastest) or go to the Menu Bar, click Window and then iTunes to get it to open up the library (doesn't close video).

Most of all I'd just love for iTunes's video player to work more like QTX.
  • Reply 185 of 201

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Most of all I'd just love or iTunes's video player to work more like QTX.

Exploiting a bug in Huddler to show just how much I want this to happen.

• Reply 186 of 201

I have the same problem and opened a bug ticket for this.Try deleting all the passed wifi networks on settings app. May work.

• Reply 187 of 201

Originally Posted by burak2102 View Post

I have the same problem and opened a bug ticket for this.Try deleting all the passed wifi networks on settings app. May work.

Hi, spambot.

• Reply 188 of 201
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member

Quote:

The red button should quit only, not quit current session and leave app running in the background. I know I'm arguing a 10+ year old fight, but to me, that's inconsistent. If what you claim is true, why does iCal stay open when you close with the red button? Why does finder never fully quit? Forget that I know why it doesn't have the ability to quit fully, why have the dock light on an app that's not designed to quit? What about iTunes app? I can see the red button to close but leave open if there are already multiple window open, but when only one window is open it should quit. To me that's just creating a resource issue, and its not clear enough that is its intended function. Sure seasoned veterans are used to it, but if you're trying to convert the window crowd, keep it simple. Don't force me to splat-q or look to quit in a menu bar. That's a bit archaic if you ask me. Kind of like forcing us to delete in finder by dragging to trash rather than the simpler delete key or splat-x.

There is a real neato, new fangled OS out there for you. It's called Windows. I know it's only at version 8, but I'm sure it will fulfill all of your computer fantasies you have listed above. Apple developed their human interface guidelines years (decades?) ago. Windows didn't have guidelines for a LOOOONG time and that is why many apps acted completely different back in the day. Holding MacOS to standards finalized by Microsoft is just foolish. BTW. You can trash a file any number of ways... Command+Delete being one of them.

• Reply 189 of 201
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why? No one knows what's in it, so how can you be looking forward to it?

From my perspective, since about 10.6, there's been little driving force for a change. I don't have anything that really needs to be changed (with one exception - Safari memory leaks), so I'm completely indifferent to a new OS.

That, of course, is balanced by the fact that upgrades are so easy and inexpensive that it's a matter of "might as well, even though I don't need it".

That's just plain ignorance of the insane amount of enhancements in Lion and Mountain Lion.

• Reply 190 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course one can look forward to a future event, but looking forward to something that you have no knowledge of is silly.

If I have a dinner date with Taylor Swift, I can look forward to that dinner. But it's hard for me to look forward to dinner on June 19 when I have no idea who I'll be having dinner with or what I'll be eating or where I'll be.

You just keep on the ridiculousness. I have a pretty good idea of what Apple will include in 10.9 because LOGIC dictates it. All of that I'm looking forward to.

Pretending like we have no idea what it will be is, "silly".

• Reply 191 of 201

Quote:

The red button should quit only, not quit current session and leave app running in the background. 

HA! Yeah ok. They have an OS for that, it's called Windows, and it's garbage.

• Reply 192 of 201

Quote:

yeah, like redundant widgets that replicate standard apps?

what about the piss-poor syncing between devices?  Especially podcasts.

What about auto-snaps for justifying windows for side-by-side...drag to edges for fullscreen or top/bottom stretch?  Just crazy you have to download an app to do this.

What about a OS X app for Maps, Find my friends/phones/etc., Trailers (the widget sucks)???

and let's just go there with the inconsistent "Red dot" functionality.

- What widgets?

- Piss poor syncing is slowly improving with iCloud. Pay attention and you'd know that.

- Auto snaps are awful. No one would want this.

- It's on its way.

-No.

• Reply 193 of 201
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The red button is on a window, and as such it closes that window. If no other windows can be, the application quits to save those resources.

Yes, this is the key point, the button is on a window so it closes the window, why would you think it had anything to do with the app lifecycle unless you learned it from Windows? 

I always thought of it as, the windows are just windows - the menu bar represents the app as a whole. That's why the only way to quit an app is with the Quit menu item, and closing all the windows will get you nowhere in terms of app lifecycle. And I think this was the original Mac OS X model (in the early versions), but in order to make Windows users more comfortable they made it so *some* apps quit when you close the last window. But they didn't do this for all apps, which is just confusing because now you don't know what will happen (except by learning the individual apps).

And now there is a third element, the iOS style app freeze-drying, which Calendar (for example) supports. If you close all the windows Calendar won't quit, until you click away to another app. At that point it will appear to quit (it's Dock light will go out), but if you look in Activity Monitor the process is still there (but I think with it's program counter frozen). But if you had originally quit it with the menu bar (instead of trying to close all the Windows) it would have quit fully and not been freeze dried and not still be in Activity Monitor.

• Reply 194 of 201
    We need OSXIII.37.
  • Reply 195 of 201

Also, if they do OS X 10.10 "Chihuahua", they'll need OS X 10.11 "Paris Hilton"

• Reply 196 of 201
    All I want is facebook evnets to sync with OSX iCal. It does for iOS but not OS X!

I'm actually not sure what else they can add to OSX 10 that snow lion doesn't have. Unless it's big, like touch screen.
  • Reply 197 of 201
    I wish that it's real update to the OS, not something like to add some apps and modify those and call them a new OS.
    Also this new version should prove Apple's intention that Mac OS X is to be still core of their business. (not the sole one but one of them. )
  • Reply 198 of 201
    blownsiblownsi Posts: 1member
    My guess is Bear and Polar Bear are the next two OSX editions
  • Reply 199 of 201
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    blownsi wrote: »
    My guess is Bear and Polar Bear are the next two OSX editions

In this Internet age, Clouded Leopard makes more sense
  • Reply 200 of 201

It will be called "Lynx"