Rumor: Apple's next iPad mini to pack 324ppi Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    .34" vs. .37".

Ooo~ so thick. And that was before the laminated screen whoozits, so I don't imagine it being a problem anymore.
    That's over 9% thicker. Pretty decent size comparatively speaking.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cameronj wrote: »
    Jesus, you people are pathetic!  Get a life. 

Basic Greek tragedy: hubris begets pathos.

It was your eagerness to blame Tim Cook and call for his downfall that set the tone for all this. Not this thread, but the last two about the iMac.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    My iPad 3 gets the same battery life as my iPad 2 did.  And as far as being heavier, for me it's barely noticeable.  With the mini Apple's biggest selling point was how thin and light it is.  Sorry but I don't see them going retina until they can do it and keep the weight and thickness down.

andysol wrote: »
    Ya- most of that will occur. Especially #6- My iPad 4 starts cooking if I've been using it a while (I always do full brightness). The mini being that tiny pushing out more pixels is bound for heat (unless a different type of display is used).
    Either way- wife has a mini, and ill have one when retina comes out- be it this year or next.

The Retina Mini is going to be a game changer. I'm planning on getting that and the iPhone 5S/6 this year!
  • Reply 64 of 94
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Basic Greek tragedy: hubris begets pathos.

It was your eagerness to blame Tim Cook and call for his downfall that set the tone for all this. Not this thread, but the last two about the iMac.

Get a life.  The problems this past year ARE Cook's fault, and IF Apple can't make enough iPad Retina Minis to meet demand for months during a crucial buying season, THAT will be Cook's fault as well.

• Reply 65 of 94
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    doh123 wrote: »
    just like ipad 2 vs ipad 3... will the performance go down?  probably... I hope they keep the choice, and not force a retina only model that will have lower graphics performance, even if it looks nicer when it works.  It would probably be just as fast as the iPad 3 if we are lucky... 

IIRC, performance didn't go down when they introduced the retina iPad because they added a stronger GPU. The same thing could be true here.

In any event, it would be a pretty good bet that when they release iPad Mini 2 that they'll keep the original version for sale at a lower price for some time.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You're being a jerk because he clearly just made a typo. No victory too small?

I realized that later, but didn't edit/remove the post because of the irony.  It was a rant about precision mathematics.  Maybe the original PPI calculation was a typo, too.

• Reply 67 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    larrya wrote: »
    I realized that later, but didn't edit/remove the post because of the irony.  It was a rant about precision mathematics.  Maybe the original PPI calculation was a typo, too.

Except it wasn't a mathematical error but a typing error. Calling your kids by the wrong name on occasion is what I did. Losing one of your kids at Disney Land and not realizing it until you're half way home would be their error… assuming they ever realized it.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    I only just realized before the last post that you were actually quibbling with my use of "half" as if I meant that as opposed to 40% or 60% less...  I really can't believe any of you actually think that I was claiming "half", I just threw out a number to make a point - if increasing resolution cuts production, then Apple loses sales.  Jesus, you people are pathetic!  Get a life. 

Or if you said 40 or 60% or any other specific value or range you would have been asked the very same questions regarding how you came to that conclusion. As previously noted if you intend to make a general comment then don't make a specific one you have to backpedal from later. When you write the words think of what you are saying. No one gets it perfect every time but at least many of apologize for a gaffe and trying to clarify our points instead of jacking a thread because we are offended we were questioned at all. Why do you think you're too good to defend your points?

PS: The personal attacks? Really?

Get a life.  The problems this past year ARE Cook's fault, and IF Apple can't make enough iPad Retina Minis to meet demand for months during a crucial buying season, THAT will be Cook's fault as well.

And if there are no Retina iPad minis this year are you going to blame that on Tim Cook's ineptitude and call for his head on a pike again? Did you invest heavily in torches and pitchfork futures because then it would all make sense.
  • Reply 69 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And if there are no Retina iPad minis this year are you going to blame that on Tim Cook's ineptitude and call for his head on a pike again? Did you invest heavily in torches and pitchfork futures because then it would all make sense.

Nope, because his problem appears to be committing Apple to bite off more than it can chew.  And that's his responsibility.  If the problems of last year aren't repeated, I'll be extremely happy as will my bank account.  But so far, his stupid/overoptimistic mistakes have cost me and a lot of others a lot of money.  And unlike most fanboys on this board, I believe that if you make mistakes, eventually you have to get fired.  And he will, if this continues.  And it's too bad, because apparently when his only job was to get shit made, he was good at it.  But taking on all the other jobs of a CEO?  Seems pretty bad at it so far.

• Reply 70 of 94
    Nope, because his problem appears to be committing Apple to bite off more than it can chew.  And that's his responsibility.  If the problems of last year aren't repeated, I'll be extremely happy as will my bank account.  But so far, his stupid/overoptimistic mistakes have cost me and a lot of others a lot of money.  And unlike most fanboys on this board, I believe that if you make mistakes, eventually you have to get fired.  And he will, if this continues.  And it's too bad, because apparently when his only job was to get shit made, he was good at it.  But taking on all the other jobs of a CEO?  Seems pretty bad at it so far.

1) More personal attacks? Really?

2) Is this your animosity toward Cook, Apple and anyone that tries to make a reasonable reply to you going back to the previous thread where you said Apple's stock has tanked 40% because of the new iMacs?
  • Reply 71 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) More personal attacks? Really?

2) Is this your animosity toward Cook, Apple and anyone that tries to make a reasonable reply to you going back to the previous thread where you said Apple's stock has tanked 40% because of the new iMacs?

Are you 12 years old?  Are you offended deeply by the "personal attack" of me calling fanboys fanboys?  GROW UP!

God, what a waste of time this stupid place is.  A bunch of fanboys slap each other on the back and shout down anyone they disagree with, and once that person grows tired of it enough to yell at them, they turn up their nose and exclaim at how injured they are at the horrendous personal slights.

Pathetic.

I'm out, what a stupid waste of time this place is.  Echo chamber.  Enjoy it, and your 10,000 posts in 12 months, after god knows how many with the previous name.  Get a job, maybe.  I'm deleting my account.

Edit: I spent 5 minutes trying to find where to cancel my account and couldn't.  I've changed my password to password.  Someone do me a favor and log into my account, change the password and email if you like.  Adios fanboys.

• Reply 72 of 94
    Are you 12 years old?  Are you offended deeply by the "personal attack" of me calling fanboys fanboys?  GROW UP!

God, what a waste of time this stupid place is.  A bunch of fanboys slap each other on the back and shout down anyone they disagree with, and once that person grows tired of it enough to yell at them, they turn up their nose and exclaim at how injured they are at the horrendous personal slights.

Pathetic.

I'm out, what a stupid waste of time this place is.  Echo chamber.  Enjoy it, and your 10,000 posts in 12 months, after god knows how many with the previous name.  Get a job, maybe.  I'm deleting my account.

Edit: I spent 5 minutes trying to find where to cancel my account and couldn't.  I've changed my password to password.  Someone do me a favor and log into my account, change the password and email if you like.  Adios fanboys.

I'm not offended by a single thing you've ever said. I'm just pointing out that you don't help any point you may have once been trying to make by acting irrational and never addressing any the points you make.
  • Reply 73 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

When will iPhone get a retina display?

I understand the next gen is ready to go today. It will be an implant so you get retina quality no matter have close you hold the iPhone. Only small issues still persist: Users of the implant find they cannot input "Google, Amazon, or Microsoft" no matter how hard they try. Also, every attempt to enter "Steve Ballmer" is auto-corrected to "Uncle Fester,"

• Reply 74 of 94

Hurry up Apple !! I'm sick of the Nexus 7 and I want to buy the iPad mini before I spend all of my savings -.-

• Reply 75 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Pathetic.

If you don't like people disagreeing with you, or asking you to back up what you say, wait til you encounter the real world.

• Reply 76 of 94
    Gruber links to Blogett, who has the interview that has spooked cameronj on Tim Cook.

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-kedrosky-on-what-has-gone-wrong-at-apple-2013-2

These guys who come up with simple-minded theories about "what's wrong at Apple," and present them as if they're giving you the deepest intelligence imaginable, are part of the media pathology.

They start with the wrong assumption. The problem is with the Market, not with Apple. And the problem with the Market is that it's being manipulated by the media. Like with this interview.

Apple's thinking seems to be, we can release a great little iPad if we can do a machined aluminum back, light in weight, cheap in price, but only if we can do a G/F2 touchscreen. Can the two suppliers in the world that can do those G/F2 films perform at the level we need for x millions of minis? They say so, but we won't know unless we try, will we? So let's try.

I'd rather see Apple try this and have a limited success at first, and good success eventually, than to not try it until some time in the future. In other words, to not do a mini for the holiday season, playing it safe just to please the stupid pundits and the stupider Market.

A ridiculous interview. Watch it and laugh, especially when Ms. Chang comes in with her chirpy little leading questions.

Edit: fixed link
  • Reply 77 of 94
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Gruber links to Blogett, who has the interview that has spooked cameronj on Tim Cook.

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-kedrosky-on-what-has-gone-wrong-at-apple-2013-

These guys who come up with simple-minded theories about "what's wrong at Apple," and present them as if they're giving you the deepest intelligence imaginable, are part of the media pathology.

They start with the wrong assumption. The problem is with the Market, not with Apple. And the problem with the Market is that it's being manipulated by the media. Like with this interview.

Apple's thinking seems to be, we can release a great little iPad if we can do a machined aluminum back, light in weight, cheap in price, but only if we can do a G/F2 touchscreen. Can the two suppliers in the world that can do those G/F2 films perform at the level we need for x millions of minis? They say so, but we won't know unless we try, will we? So let's try.

I'd rather see Apple try this and have a limited success at first, and good success eventually, than to not try it until some time in the future. In other words, to not do a mini for the holiday season, playing it safe just to please the stupid pundits and the stupider Market.

A ridiculous interview. Watch it and laugh, especially when Ms. Chang comes in with her chirpy little leading questions.

Haha the link no longer works.  Which is fine by me as I hate giving a trollish site like Business Insider the clicks.

• Reply 78 of 94
    Haha the link no longer works.  Which is fine by me as I hate giving a trollish site like Business Insider the clicks.

In case you change your mind: http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-kedrosky-on-what-has-gone-wrong-at-apple-2013-2
  • Reply 79 of 94

I know what you mean. Give these guys the business, same inteview:

http://www.telekom-presse.at/detail.asp?newsID=24230&boardSessionID=241000001F5316007110914927201302059999999999991731
  • Reply 80 of 94
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Retina displays are my favorite thing Apple is doing at the moment, I can't wait to see a really big one.