iOS 6 jailbreak arrives; URL detection bug crashes most OS X apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I noticed I had to type File:/// and not file:///. Crashes spotlight too. Hope they patch this very very soon. 

• Reply 22 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

No mention of a jailbreak for AppleTV 3? I'll go buy one today (okay, next week) if I can put Plex on it :)

They specifically said the new jailbreak does not work with ATV 3.

• Reply 23 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

That's why he wants one.

• Reply 24 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Hmm, I didn't see that anywhere - although not seeing any mention of the AppleTV, I assumed it was excluded from this Jailbreak (but still hoped it was an inadvertent omission!). Bummer...

• Reply 25 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbigears View Post

"The feature fist appeared..." I didn't realise it even had hands!

Maybe the author was feeling a little punchy.

• Reply 26 of 40

The file slash slash slash thingy doesn't seem to kill Firefox. Which is good.

Can't test it in Safari... too many important tabs I need to keep open!

• Reply 27 of 40
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Still a text input by a non-su/wheel user should not be able to access files in "/" anyway so the third slash should trigger some defense with or without a capital "F".

?

Everything is "in /" - its the root of the filesystem.

file:///tmp/

file:///Users/foo/Desktop/

If you can't read /, you are going to have a hard time getting anywhere...

• Reply 28 of 40
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, dailytech.com is staffed by Microsoft/ Windows/ PC apologists. Those guys view everything Apple-related with barely disguised contempt.

Sort of how AI and much of it's users view anything Microsoft/Windows/PC and Android-related, eh?

• Reply 29 of 40
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Hmm, I didn't see that anywhere - although not seeing any mention of the AppleTV, I assumed it was excluded from this Jailbreak (but still hoped it was an inadvertent omission!). Bummer...

Story is on the JB groups blog. Something about the way they changed the file structure on the ATV3 makes this exploit useless.

• Reply 30 of 40
    I jailbroke my iPhone 5...Cydia seems to be working for me..?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Looks like some around here are all upset a jailbreak has arrived...
  • Reply 32 of 40
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

It amuses me that iFans are so eager to quote the 'Apple Ecosystem" as a reason for owning iDevices, then at the earliest opportunity try and escape said 'Ecosystem' through jailbreaks image

• Reply 33 of 40
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    It amuses me that iFans are so eager to quote the 'Apple Ecosystem" as a reason for owning iDevices, then at the earliest opportunity try and escape said 'Ecosystem' through jailbreaks :lol:

I'm not escaping the ecosystem, I'm augmenting it with functionality. Escaping would be switching to something different.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">This is false actually.  It has to be uppercase.  </span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Which is whyyour stupid-ass post is crashing anyone who tries to answer it dumbass!</span>

You are bullshitting me - it has to be typed in input field, not just inside random text on a screen? Or does it really just works - THAT well? :)

OK, I'll accept there are some limitations here and try to avoid them. Dear me.

Anyway, I did say according to Dailytech. What they say:

The forbidden word is "F i l e : /// " (case sensitive). Type that in virtual any text input form (be it a notepad, a browser dialogue, a document editor, a calendar appointment, etc.) and the program will die. It appears that similar strings ("f I L E : ///" or " F I L E : // aa") can also trigger program crahes. In a bizarre twist, some crashes appear to be dependent on how fast you type certain variants (e.g. "F i l e ://" followed by characters). An Open Radar user named "Jonathan" shares a movie he made documenting that bizarre behavior here

http://openradar.appspot.com/13128709.

Be pissed of at morons who let this in OS final release, dude. Pointing your frustration in my direction is really pointless.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Sort of how AI and much of it's users view anything Microsoft/Windows/PC and Android-related, eh?

Bullseye.

I'd give you three slashes for that, but I fear I might crash Gazobee's browser and give him a reason to call me names again.

:D
  • Reply 36 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

It amuses me that iFans are so eager to quote the 'Apple Ecosystem" as a reason for owning iDevices, then at the earliest opportunity try and escape said 'Ecosystem' through jailbreaks image

Not sure I follow. I've jailbroken my phones all the way back to the original iPhone. Does a jailbreak hinder my ability for my iPhone to talk to my Mac? No. My Apple TV? No. iTunes? The App Store? No, and no. So how exactly am I escaping or evading this ecosystem?

• Reply 37 of 40
    The same happens as File: with///behind: type //abc after the File:
  • Reply 38 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Still a text input by a non-su/wheel user should not be able to access files in "/" anyway so the third slash should trigger some defense with or without a capital "F".

Yup that was my first thought when I read about it - something to do with "/" and the sandboxing. But on closer inspection it looks like maybe they have some kind of recogniser module that is case insensitive, feeding to a processor module that is case-sensitive and promptly spits the dummy.

• Reply 39 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Typing that on TextEdit causes it to crash on an exception, which subsequently causes the report form to crash as well when the same string is displayed. It's hilarious.

Kind of a chain reaction with only two chains. Yeah quiet funny this bug.

• Reply 40 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

A fairly impressive number of iOS users have already jailbroken their devices with the latest evasion tool... 7 million in just four days. Looks like there was quite a bit of pent-up demand.

As of Thursday night, Freeman’s alternative app store had received visits from 5.15 million iPhones, 1.35 million iPads, and 400,000 iPod touches that were jailbroken with evasi0n, the first jailbreaking software for the iPhone 5 and iOS 6.1.