128GB iPad with Retina display now available from Apple

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday updated its online store to reflect availability of the new high-capacity 128-gigabyte iPad with Retina display.

iPad

The new high-end iPad model costs $799 for the Wi-Fi-only model, or $929 with cellular connectivity. It's available in both black and white, just like every other capacity, and is advertised to ship in one to three business days.

Apple first announced the product, which doubles the previous maximum capacity of 64 gigabytes, a week ago. Prior to the announcement, evidence of a larger capacity iOS device had just been discovered in the newly released iOS 6.1 software update.

In announcing the 128-gigabyte iPad, Apple suggested the expanded storage would be particularly appealing to enterprise users, educators, and artists. The company also noted that virtually all Fortune 500 and more than 85 percent of the Global 500 are currently deploying or testing the iPad.

Aside from the increased storage capacity, the 128-gigabyte iPad with Retina display is unchanged from the previous fourth-generation models. It includes the Apple-designed A6X processor, a 9.7-inch Retina display, and a forward facing FaceTime HD camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I saw that last night at my Dutch Apple site. So, what's the unofficial generation number? I say 5, but in previous threads many called it the 4th, which to me doesn't make sense. The 4th got much more changes then 'just' capacity.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    The spring time launch of iPad 5 seems unlikely with this out now.

As nice as the added storage is it probably won't increase sales at all
  • Reply 3 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I saw that last night at my Dutch Apple site. So, what's the unofficial generation number? I say 5, but in previous threads many called it the 4th, which to me doesn't make sense. The 4th got much more changes then 'just' capacity.

It's still Gen 4. It's just another size option, why would it ever have a different generation?!

• Reply 4 of 31

I've needed this for my movies, music, and photos from the time of the first iPAD. I ordered my 128 this morning. At least half of my friends say they will be getting this model.

• Reply 5 of 31
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charly View Post

I've needed this for my movies, music, and photos from the time of the first iPAD. I ordered my 128 this morning. At least half of my friends say they will be getting this model.

I would have agreed a couple of years ago. Now I find that iTunes match, Spotify and various other cloud services mean that the only files that I still need to pre-load onto my iPad are video files.

• Reply 6 of 31
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    At $929 there's no way I'd be buying this. This is Apple ramping up the prices so people get used to things getting more expensive, because last time they bumped the specs, the 8/16/32GB iPhones shifted prices to the 16/32/64GB models. With this, however, Apple is making a clear statement that the prices won't shift anymore, despite technological advancements.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I have to admit that I'm dissappointed that Apple did not scrap the 16gb model and make the line up 32/64/128 at the same prices as before, flash has come down a lot and you can bet that they are getting a damn good rate on the 128GB seeing as that's what's in the fusion drives.

• Reply 8 of 31
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

. With this, however, Apple is making a clear statement that the prices won't shift anymore, despite technological advancements.

No they aren't. If the prices of the storage come down enough that it makes sense to go back to three models/drop prices we may still see them do it. But the prices aren't there right now and there is a need for this storage level with businesses etc.

• Reply 9 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I wonder if other tablet makers will be able to match this price? I doubt it. Apple is leveraging their massive flash buying power to provide low-end laptop level capacities in a tablet.

It will have no direct competitors and therefore will completely own the premium tablet market.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    charlituna wrote: »
    [No they aren't. If the prices of the storage come down enough that it makes sense to go back to three models/drop prices we may still see them do it. But the prices aren't there right now and there is a need for this storage level with businesses etc.

Storage prices have nose dived since the last spec bump. SSDs are now being RETAILED at roughly $1/GB.
  • Reply 11 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I have to admit that I'm dissappointed that Apple did not scrap the 16gb model and make the line up 32/64/128 at the same prices as before, flash has come down a lot and you can bet that they are getting a damn good rate on the 128GB seeing as that's what's in the fusion drives.

That kind of thing generally happens during an actual new model launch. Although the 16gb isn't likely to be scrapped. It's the 8 GB iPhone of the lineup. 

• Reply 12 of 31

Quote:

Storage prices have nose dived since the last spec bump. SSDs are now being RETAILED at roughly $1/GB.

SSDs and flash storage aren't the same thing. Similar but not the same. And then you have to take into account that Apple isn't going to risk their rep on using the cheapest material to be cheap rather than something of quality that would retail at a higher price. 

• Reply 13 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    vaelian wrote: »

It's too simplistic to base your kvetching on the price of parts alone. Those who buy this are paying for the production lines for the new logic boards, the separate lines for the radio options, and for all we know, the color options, and all the associated inventory costs. Do us a favor and factor those costs in.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

[No they aren't. If the prices of the storage come down enough that it makes sense to go back to three models/drop prices we may still see them do it. But the prices aren't there right now and there is a need for this storage level with businesses etc.

But everything else has gone up. (manufacture / wholesale)

• Reply 15 of 31

I'll bet the 128MB configuration is for special cases, like airlines, so they can equip pilots with retina-resolution maps and checklists. The cost seems high for normal use.

• Reply 16 of 31

I'll bet the 128MB configuration is for special cases, like airlines, so they can equip pilots with retina-resolution maps and checklists. The cost seems high for normal use.

• Reply 17 of 31
    isaidso wrote: »
    But everything else has gone up. (manufacture / wholesale)

Please support this statement with evidence. What exactly has become more expensive in an iPad?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    charlituna wrote: »
    SSDs and flash storage aren't the same thing.

SSDs use NAND flash for storage. What the hell are you talking about? And if you aren't sure, why are you posting nonsense?
  • Reply 19 of 31
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I wonder if other tablet makers will be able to match this price? I doubt it. Apple is leveraging their massive flash buying power to provide low-end laptop level capacities in a tablet.

It will have no direct competitors and therefore will completely own the premium tablet market.

I don't think other tablet makers are going to have any problem matching this. 

Retail costs for flash are now under $1/GB, Apple is charging about $3/Gb to go from their base model to the 128Gb model.

• Reply 20 of 31
    flaneur wrote: »
    It's too simplistic to base your kvetching on the price of parts alone. Those who buy this are paying for the production lines for the new logic boards, the separate lines for the radio options, and for all we know, the color options, and all the associated inventory costs. Do us a favor and factor those costs in.

Are you claiming that assembling a 128GB flash chip is harder than assembling a 16GB flash chip?

Watching fanboys irrationally defend Apple's decisions to rape their wallets never ceases to amuse me.