Apple Thunderbolt Display inventory dwindles, may hint at upcoming redesign

Comments

• Reply 81 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow. Just wow. Shortsighted indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_ive#Honours_and_awards

Honors and awards don't make it any easier to plug a flash drive into the back of the TB display or upgrade the HDD/SSD in an iMac, do they?

They don't make the TB's display height adjustable, do they?

• Reply 82 of 101

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Honors and awards don't make it any easier to plug a flash drive into the back of the TB display or upgrade the HDD/SSD in an iMac, do they?

They don't make the TB's display height adjustable, do they?

So. Buy. Something. Else.

If you matter so much, they'll start building stuff you want.

• Reply 83 of 101
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd understand the concern more with an imac. The thunderbolt display's real feature is its functionality as a thunderbolt dock. If that isn't a requirement, there are several good display options surrounding that price point.

• Reply 84 of 101

Quote:

What else is there that runs OS X natively?  Give me an option and I'll consider it.

• Reply 85 of 101

What else is there that runs OS X natively? 

So I guess you need to stop complaining, then.

Anything can run OS X in VirtualBox if your complaint is software-based. You can have whatever magical hardware you want and still get OS X. Maybe then you'll understand why they don't make a computer like that.

• Reply 86 of 101

Here's another scenario that I haven't seen mentioned. Sharp has a 32" 4k monitor coming to market soon (http://uk.hardware.info/news/33070/sharp-32-inch-monitor-with-4k-resolution-costs-4500-euro). LG has a 30" 4k monitor coming soon too.  3840x2160 at 32"  is only about 135ppi (as opposed to well over 200 in other displays), but it's high enough that Apple might pass it off as a retina display if you sit far enough away from it. 

• Reply 87 of 101
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here's another scenario that I haven't seen mentioned. Sharp has a 32" 4k monitor coming to market soon (http://uk.hardware.info/news/33070/sharp-32-inch-monitor-with-4k-resolution-costs-4500-euro). LG has a 30" 4k monitor coming soon too.  <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:19px;background-color:rgb(237,237,237);">3840x2160 at 32"  is</span>
     only about 135ppi (as opposed to well over 200 in other displays), but it's high enough that Apple might pass it off as a retina display if you sit far enough away from it. 

3438 * (1/135) = 25.5". I think 2 feet is just out of reach for a normal viewing distance. They are already at WQHD (2560x1440) which is 109 PPI so if they go that route then 3840x2160 on a 27" display would 163.18 PPI (right about where the original iPhone started) and would mean only 21" for being Retina. Is that close enough?
  • Reply 88 of 101
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Here's another scenario that I haven't seen mentioned. Sharp has a 32" 4k monitor coming to market soon (http://uk.hardware.info/news/33070/sharp-32-inch-monitor-with-4k-resolution-costs-4500-euro). LG has a 30" 4k monitor coming soon too.  <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, tahoma, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:19px;background-color:rgb(237,237,237);">3840x2160 at 32"  is</span>
     only about 135ppi (as opposed to well over 200 in other displays), but it's high enough that Apple might pass it off as a retina display if you sit far enough away from it. 

Oh that looks like a nice screen! If my 30" ACD ere to die I'd have a very good successor - thanks for the link.
  • Reply 89 of 101

Quote:

So I guess you need to stop complaining, then.

Anything can run OS X in VirtualBox if your complaint is software-based. You can have whatever magical hardware you want and still get OS X. Maybe then you'll understand why they don't make a computer like that.

Sounds like you need to stop telling people to stop buying Macs.

Some of us here are Apple investors.  You're not helping when you tell people to buy something else.

• Reply 90 of 101

You're not helping when you tell people to buy something else.

I'm helping the people find what they (think they) need. That's all I care about.

• Reply 91 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Sounds like you need to stop telling people to stop buying Macs.

Some of us here are Apple investors.  You're not helping when you tell people to buy something else.

If there is a mismatch between what they offer and what the customer needs, then a different company is more suitable. Apple has decided to offer a certain set of products and beyond a certain point, pretending that's going to change isn't going to do any favors.
  • Reply 92 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If there is a mismatch between what they offer and what the customer needs, then a different company is more suitable. Apple has decided to offer a certain set of products and beyond a certain point, pretending that's going to change isn't going to do any favors.

Then stop visiting this "Future Hardware" forum if you believe nothing at Apple ever changes. 

• Reply 93 of 101

Quote:

I'm helping the people find what they (think they) need. That's all I care about.

I've turned dozens of people on to Apple over the years, people who initially didn't think they needed a Mac and now would never dream of buying anything else.  I DO care about Macs.  So please stop telling me to go buy a PC.

• Reply 94 of 101

Then stop visiting this "Future Hardware" forum if you believe nothing at Apple ever changes. 

That'd be why he said "beyond a certain point". They make changes to fill niches over time, but if the trend is away from what you want instead of toward, you should find something else.

I DO care about Macs.  So please stop telling me to go buy a PC.

If they don't make what you need to do your job as effectively as possible, it's stupidity on your part to stay with them. I absolutely love Apple as well, but they don't do everything I need, and they DO do plenty that I don't. So I don't buy what I don't need and I don't "make do with" their offerings if I do; I buy something else.

Vote with your wallet. If them not making what you need hurts you, hurt them by not compromising with something substandard.

• Reply 95 of 101
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    That'd be why he said "beyond a certain point". They make changes to fill niches over time, but if the trend is away from what you want instead of toward, you should find something else.

That, and when Apple has a choice between maximum utility and making something a little lighter, thinner, better looking, their history shows they take the second route. They've been taking that route for over a decade now, making a "kitchen sink" computer product is not in their DNA.
  • Reply 96 of 101

The original article says that inventory dwindled at all of the major online retailers, however, it looks like they are back in stock just about everywhere!  I really hope this doesn't mean we will have to wait longer for the new thinner version.

• Reply 97 of 101
    I was going to purchase a mini; however, I didn't want to get the old Thunderbolt Display and 2 days later they have an upgrade.
  • Reply 98 of 101

Originally Posted by tlbaker1 View Post

I was going to purchase a mini; however, I didn't want to get the old Thunderbolt Display and 2 days later they have an upgrade.

You have 15 days to return a product after purchase. Longer, if you present your case and happen to get a sympathetic manager. We freely returned a Core Duo iMac a full month after purchase since the Core 2 line had just been released.

• Reply 99 of 101
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlbaker1 View Post

There's no way of knowing when they'll upgrade it. My initial thoughts were that we'd see an updated thunderbolt display later in the year, possibly released alongside updated notebooks. These won't be before the second half though, so I'm not sure. I'm Given that the display is the thing most likely to drive shipping times in the imacs, I suspect they won't release it before 27" imac shipping times are about to wind down. Right now they remain at 3-4 weeks, which is why I don't expect a thunderbolt display revision just yet.

• Reply 100 of 101
    AH, it would appear that Apple is not going to release a new Thunderbolt Display or display by any name.