Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

The iPhone is still a higher utilized device compared to Android. Even with the shipment number differences. What makes you think Android tablets, after 2.5 years of failure, will suddenly start being used in the next 12 months?

If you mean apps, you could be correct. If you mean worldwide web usage a recent article here at AI pegged Android phones at nearly 40% of all mobile web traffic, with iOS (iPhones and iPods) dropping to around 25% from 27% the previous year IIRC.

• Reply 22 of 70
    @rsdophny
    [QUOTE]There are no apps for Android tablets. It is essentially a Galaxy Note on steroid. People gives gifts to kids to read books and play games. They want a better machine for themselves. If a person truly makes use of the tablet, a $100 premium spread over a number of months is really not a price too high to pay. People paid $300 for an iPad 6-7 years ago too.[/QUOTE]

No apps for Android tablets? I'm guessing you have never seen an Android tablet.

And can you show me an iPad from 6-7 years ago? Maybe you were working in Apples super secret skunkworks factory with Jony Ivey? Cause that was the only place they existed. Your knowledge of any tablet on the market seems to be lacking.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Fandroids have been saying this for years. Oh no, Android tablets are so much cheaper, Apple is doomed. Yet consumers overwhelmingly still want iPads year after year.

I agree that people like iPads.  However, again, this type of report is almost useless to figure out relative number of sales.

We could take Android totally out of the equation, and Chitika's past reports would show that iPads see several times as many of their ads as iPhones do, for example.   Yet the number of iPhones sold greatly outnumbers iPads.

Quote:

The iPhone is still a higher utilized device compared to Android. Even with the shipment number differences. What makes you think Android tablets, after 2.5 years of failure, will suddenly start being used in the next 12 months?

Don't mix phones and tablets.  This is only about tablets.

As pointed out many times, the SAME sources say that phone usage is equivalent.    For example, dig into the most recent Chitika report headlined "Apple iOS Users Consume Growing Amount of Web Traffic", and you'll see this comment:

"While third-party and our own observations have pegged smartphone Web traffic share as a near-tie, Apple has a decided advantage in the tablet market, where its iPad is unquestionably the hottest seller in the sector.  This advantage is the largest contributing factor to Apple’s lead over Android."

Of course, casual news readers never see that part.  Reporters tend to leave it out.

• Reply 24 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Isn't this study based on ad networks and web browsing? Maybe people are buying all these tablets to read Kindle books.

I can't imagine people spending multi-hundreds of dollars on a piece of electronics... to just have it sit in a drawer.

(actually I can)

The problem with ad impression studies is that they miss quite a bit of activity.

For instance, apps like Pulse don't display ads (for the most part) so any activity on that won't get included. As Pulse and similar apps are on both Google Play and iTunes, it's likely that the iOS reported usage is under reported as well.

Furthermore, movie, book or music streaming off Google Play, B&N and Amazon that doesn't use a browser (which is basically everything but people on their Android 4.2 using Firefox Beta to stream Amazon movies), won't get included either.

On top of that, many analytic tools STILL haven't figured out that Chrome and Dolphin aren't Safari. Google Analytics itself only recently fixed this as GA itself was displaying Chrome and Dolphin (Silk as well) as Safari.

It gets even worse when you throw in widgets. Apple doesn't have widgets which basically let you access the internet and get data all without a browser. Most Android users (except those stuck in pre-2.2, God save their poor souls) have access to apps that let them bypass browsers entirely in getting information, whether it be stocks, news, weather, you name it.

The whole "ad impressions" is really a poor measure of measuring anything other than who is looking at your ads. Most uneducated people will view the number as Apple dominating without realizing that the data metric itself is severely flawed in that it does not have the capacity to gather actual total usage.

In some ways, using Ad impressions to determine market share is more or less like determining population size by seeing how many people respond to newspaper ads.

Ad impressions are suppose to be used to determine who's looking at your website to figure out how to orient that website to the market to sell more ads. It's not a measure to determine actual various OS market share. However, because there really isn't a good measure that can account for the reasons  why Ad Impressions are a terrible measure, marketing companies go for what is simple and easy. Not what is hard, expensive and time consuming, but right.

• Reply 25 of 70

Quote:

What are you basing this on? Ad Impressions? You do realize the massive flaws within that method of data collection no?

Furthermore, the largest mobile phone market in the world is doubling down on Android.

It's a reason why the cheaper iPhone rumors are coming out. Apple desperately needs China to sustain its growth. US and the EU markets are essentially saturated. Apple cannot sustain double digit growth in saturated markets.

• Reply 26 of 70

Originally Posted by CombatWombat View Post

It's a reason why the cheaper iPhone rumors are coming out.

So? 

Apple desperately needs…

Nope.

US and the EU markets are essentially saturated.

Nope. And there's growth both outside and inside smartphone ownership groups.

• Reply 27 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Bear in mind that Chitika is not reporting overall web traffic.

They're only reporting their ad impressions.   In other words, who sees their ads on the 250K web sites and blogs (Chitika is popular on those) that they serve.

That might, or might not, relate to other web traffic, especially globally.

Heck, someone reading this forum probably wouldn't show up in Chitika's stats, since this site appears to mostly use the Google ad network.  (Correction  welcome, mods.)

Still, it's no surprise that in Chitika's home area of North America, the iPad sees more of their ads.  Even families with Android based readers often also have an iPad.   And the cheaper Android tablets are often given to children, who use them for games, or video viewing, not web surfing.

Indeed. Most people don't realize the massive, glaring problems with ad impressions in determining actual market share. All too often Apple fans will cite ad impression studies showing Apple totally dominating without realizing the serious data metric flaws within ad impression studies.

I got an iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. They do different things. But just because I read the web on my iPad far more than my Nexus 7 doesn't mean (as some are alluding here) that my android tablet doesn't get used. It just gets used for different things. For instance, I refuse to buy a larger iPad memory size as I feel the amount I pay to the amount of NAND memory cost is outrageous. My Nexus 7 however, can access flash drives which are not that far from wholesale NAND memory prices. So I tend to watch movies on that because I can fill up over a 100 gigs of storage for a little more than half the price of another 16 gigs on the iPad. Ad impressions won't capture that. Ever. FYI, the 128 gb iPad, biggest rip off ever. $65 in total NAND memory cost and they want $800? You gotta be kidding.

That said, I don't play games. On either. N7 has zero games. iPad 3 has a few that I don't touch anymore.

• Reply 28 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So? 

Nope.

Nope.

Is this what I should expect from the average user here?

No understanding of the market?

No understanding of finances?

No understanding of market saturation?

No understanding of corporate growth?

No understanding of overseas demand?

Want to show me how the US and EU markets aren't saturated or is your toddler response the only tool you have?

• Reply 29 of 70
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    First off, thank goodness for Apple retail stores. Smartly, Apple realized a long time ago they could never depend on what are basically "warehouse" retailers.

Second off, I think it's very telling to look at the long list of tablets behind Apple on that chart. It reads like a obituary of all the so-called iPad killers %u2013 remember the Motorolla Xoom? HA.

Third off, who wants to guess how long before Samsung launches commercials portraying iPad users as drones waiting in lines?
  • Reply 30 of 70
    maltamalta Posts: 78member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

@rsdophny

No apps for Android tablets? I'm guessing you have never seen an Android tablet.

Yeah, it makes me laugh every time I read something on here from the dedicated Apple users and Android haters about what the platform or devices can or cannot do. The people that say they would never touch an android device or even acknowledge its existence. I am sure they are well educated on the subject matter and certainly have no bias.

• Reply 31 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

First off, thank goodness for Apple retail stores. Smartly, Apple realized a long time ago they could never depend on what are basically "warehouse" retailers.

Second off, I think it's very telling to look at the long list of tablets behind Apple on that chart. It reads like a obituary of all the so-called iPad killers %u2013 remember the Motorolla Xoom? HA.

Third off, who wants to guess how long before Samsung launches commercials portraying iPad users as drones waiting in lines?

You do realized you just proved my point about how uneducated people think that ad impressions = total market?

The only real way to determine total internet usage market is to somehow identify data packets by the operating system that the app that is requesting them is using. And even then that it doesn't address the off line usage. Alternatively, getting supplier information would solve half of the equation but without knowing store inventory levels, it's not that useful.

Furthermore, based on the recent China iPad mini release, there aren't lines for iPads that Samsung can mock. Kind of hard to make a joke when there wasn't even a line for the iPad Mini release in China.

• Reply 32 of 70

Kind of hard to make a joke when there wasn't even a line for the iPad Mini release in China.

You want to keep posting lies, or would you like to return to reality?

• Reply 33 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by malta View Post

Yeah, it makes me laugh every time I read something on here from the dedicated Apple users and Android haters about what the platform or devices can or cannot do. The people that say they would never touch an android device or even acknowledge its existence. I am sure they are well educated on the subject matter and certainly have no bias.

Indeed.

Fandroids tend to bash Apple on their desire for simplicity, not really understanding their devices and perceived buy into low value systems.

iSheep tend to bash Android on essentially false propaganda, that there are no apps, that it's super buggy, it's just a copy (which is amusingly logically concluded Apple is bad, crazy eh?), low quality (which again is funny considering the same companies that make Android supply Apple's parts), and gets viruses (which is almostly entirely untrue).

• Reply 34 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Furthermore, based on the recent China iPad mini release, there aren't lines for iPads that Samsung can mock. Kind of hard to make a joke when there wasn't even a line for the iPad Mini release in China.

Of course, that was because they instituted a reservation system that got rid of lines in China.

• Reply 35 of 70
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

They're only reporting their ad impressions.   In other words, who sees their ads on the 250K web sites and blogs (Chitika is popular on those) that they serve.

That might, or might not, relate to other web traffic, especially globally.

Heck, someone reading this forum probably wouldn't show up in Chitika's stats, since this site appears to mostly use the Google ad network.  (Correction  welcome, mods.)

Still, it's no surprise that in Chitika's home area of North America, the iPad sees more of their ads.  Even families with Android based readers often also have an iPad.   And the cheaper Android tablets are often given to children, who use them for games, or video viewing, not web surfing.

Are they counting "repeats"? In other words, if I click on certain ads repeatedly or on different days, would that be counted as one impression? What about same ad but on different days?

• Reply 36 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rsdofny wrote: »
    There are no apps for Android tablets.  It is essentially a Galaxy Note on steroid.  People gives gifts to kids to read books and play games.  They want a better machine for themselves.  If a person truly makes use of the tablet, a $100+ premium spread over a number of months is really not a price too high to pay.  People paid $300 for an iPad 6-7 years ago too.      

Yes there are, and the iPad is less than 3 yrs old.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you mean apps, you could be correct. If you mean worldwide web usage a recent article here at AI pegged Android phones at nearly 40% of all mobile web traffic, with iOS (iPhones and iPods) dropping to around 25% from 27% the previous year IIRC.

Oh God, not this again! You're like a broken record.

Did you read the post you are replying to?

Originally Posted by Steven N.

The iPhone is still a higher utilized device compared to Android...........

Android phones must be getting close to 3 times the installed base of iPhone. That's 200% more!

Why is Android's mobile web share not 200% more than iPhone?

That's the whole point of these circular arguments. We know that there are many more Android devices out there. According to IDC, Gartner et all, hundreds of millions more. 

Yet in survey after survey Apple's mobile products are either beating Android (dev dollars, ad impressions) or holding a disproportionately large share (web use).

• Reply 38 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by piot View Post

Oh God, not this again! You're like a broken record.

Did you read the post you are replying to?

Originally Posted by Steven N.

The iPhone is still a higher utilized device compared to Android...........

Android phones must be getting close to 3 times the installed base of iPhone. That's 200% more!

Why is Android's mobile web share not 200% more than iPhone?

That's the whole point of these circular arguments. We know that there are many more Android devices out there. According to IDC, Gartner et all, hundreds of millions more. 

Yet in survey after survey Apple's mobile products are either beating Android (dev dollars, ad impressions) or holding a disproportionately large share (web use).

According to the StatCounter charts (AI mentioned it yesterday) Android's web usage is well ahead of those using iPhones/iPods. I believe it addresses Steven N.'s post quite well. I've no idea what you're taking issue with. You've way over-exaggerated Android's installed base compared to iOS haven't you? 

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201201-201301

By the way I didn't recall correctly when I thought I remembered iOS share going down. It did not. It just isn't rising as fast as Android's web use share for smartphones and other smaller devices, which excludes tablets.

• Reply 39 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kdarling wrote: »

They're only reporting their ad impressions.   <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">In other words, who sees their ads on the 250K web sites and blogs (Chitika is popular on those) that they serve.</span>

<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">That might, or might not, relate to other web traffic, especially globally.</span>

I don't think it has a bearing on global traffic. Consider just one major source of bias. Apple has its own iAds program which only works on iOS devices. Since iAds is only on one platform, if it captures any share at all, it reduces the number of ad impressions on the other ad networks Chikita, Google, etc).
  • Reply 40 of 70
    I guess I'm the only one typing this on a Nexus 7 haha! This really is no surprise, the iPad has been out for years now and the full sized iPad is the best full sized tablet out there. I've never used a Nexus 10 so I can't compare that to the current iPad. I'm looking forward to the rumored thinner and lighter iPad that's suppose to come out sometime this year. Also a retina quality iPad mini is promising too.