Apple looking to expand role of Siri as an 'OS within an OS'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Get with linguistics so users can repeat a carefully crafted paragraph in Settings and when you first register a new device so it can learn how you speak different sounds. Cultural and physical differences can highly affect how we say the same thing. The Canadians know what I'm talking aboot. image

Until you brought it up I hadn't looked to see if Google was doing anything similar. They are, and have been since 2010. That may be why Google does so well with text to speech and voice search. 

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/37306/google-voice-search-android-improvements

• Reply 22 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    I have no problem with people making fun of us Canadians, but no one here sounds like that! Maybe Newfoundland, but more often than not people doing "Canadian" accents end up sounding like Minnesotans !

Sure. I'm just kidding. I meant no offense. Frankly, of all the Canadians I know those in Vancouver sound just like a typical American and those in Quebec sound French, but since I don't speak French I can't discern any variance in French speaking accents (unless it's Caribbean). I do agree that 'us' Americans consider Canadians to sound like characters from Fargo.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I have no problem with people making fun of us Canadians, but no one here sounds like that! Maybe Newfoundland, but more often than not people doing "Canadian" accents end up sounding like Minnesotans !

One of my best friends is from Canada and he sounded just like a MInnesotan when he first came to the States.  Now that he's been in the south for awhile, he sounds like a hillbilly.

• Reply 24 of 66
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I tend to agree if the device is being used in public...I tend not to use Siri in public - but I'd love to use Siri with the Apple Remote app, on the rumored Applevision. 

"Siri...find episodes of "How I Met Your Mother" from 2009"

Why would you need a remote app? Shouldn't the TV incorporate Siri?

• Reply 25 of 66
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Why would you need a remote app? Shouldn't the TV incorporate Siri?

I don't like shouting at the TV. ;-)
  • Reply 26 of 66
    allenbf wrote: »

In all seriousness I can see a Siri based home entertainment working. Siri would still have to be initiated which is why I'd expect it to be a BT remote that would have a button that would call Siri to listen via microphones on your remote that would then send it to whatever device is controlling the content for the TV. You could even make it intelligent enough that it could pick up the content coming from the TV so it can cancel that out from your voice so it wouldn't have to momentarily mute the TV when you said, "Record Comedy Central from 11pm to Midnight MOnday through Thursday."
  • Reply 27 of 66
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Tim Cook on stage: "We were the company that brought the computer mouse to the world. Now we're the company that is taking it away. Introducing the first Mac that is completely controlled by your voice."

Demo… "Move the cursor a little more to the right. A little bit more. Oh, that's too far. Now a little bit down. A little more. A little more. Now click."

30 minutes later.

Tim Cook back on stage: 'All that with the power of voice."

Well we're at the start of voice command revolution. Siri will become more and more precise with the mouse pointer. Some time more in the future the mouse pointer will be fully abandoned! Granted, for the moment it's a bit cumbersome.
  • Reply 28 of 66

Not to hijack this thread -- but things are happening in Apple Maps too:

Then

NOW

• Reply 29 of 66
    allenbf wrote: »
    That is why I believe a remote will be always out, even if it is microphone only.
    When will Siri be able for developers to integrate? There are lots of apps that would be easier for it.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Computer on! Oh I see you need a keyboard how quaint!
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Computer on! Oh I see you need a keyboard how quaint!
  • Reply 32 of 66

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

One of my best friends is from Canada and he sounded just like a MInnesotan when he first came to the States.  Now that he's been in the south for awhile, he sounds like a hillbilly.

What does that sound like?    "Don'tcha know what that's aboot, y'all?"

(From a Minnesotan who moved to LaLa Land)  Slange!

• Reply 33 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In all seriousness I can see a Siri based home entertainment working. Siri would still have to be initiated which is why I'd expect it to be a BT remote that would have a button that would call Siri to listen via microphones on your remote that would then send it to whatever device is controlling the content for the TV. You could even make it intelligent enough that it could pick up the content coming from the TV so it can cancel that out from your voice so it wouldn't have to momentarily mute the TV when you said, "Record Comedy Central from 11pm to Midnight MOnday through Thursday."

Samsung has a remote one can talk into, so are you sure it's a good idea?
  • Reply 34 of 66

Quote:

Quote:

My position on the couch is about 6 feet away from the TV and off to the left side.  I often use Siri on my iPad 4 while the TV is playing (look up scores, schedules, etc.).  Siri (or the iPad) has little trouble eliminating background noise -- so much so that ambient noise is not a noticeable problem.   

Now, if you were in a group watching the Super bowl with friends and everybody was telling their Siri device to do something at the same time...

Siri "Tell Coach Crazy, to stop whining -- you lost -- move on!"

• Reply 35 of 66
  • Reply 36 of 66

Quote:

Quote:

What you are describing, physically, could be something small resembling the current AppleTV Remote -- but with BT and Microphone... to access Siri Central in the family room.  Siri Central could be an iPad Mini.

Interesting, that a similar device, with the addition of a speaker, could be a [very] smartphone. It could access the cell network and/or the WiFi network through the iPad Mini that you have with you always.  But you don't need to physically access the iPad to make a Siri-invoked phone call (the iPad can remain on the table, in your pack, etc.).   Then, when you want to see and surf -- you grab the Mini.

• Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

That would be a big mistake. Two people generally cannot understand each other. To ask a device to understand someone better than a friend is asking more than the state of the art can deliver. These are boundaries which Apple & associates have no prospect of breaching any time soon. The user experience would be poor and reflect badly upon Apple.

It is a worthy challenge for the next generation of Apple - not the current incumbents.

• Reply 38 of 66
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Samsung has a remote one can talk into, so are you sure it's a good idea?

Does their device add value to the television experience? If so, then sure. If not, then like all things that have usually comes before Apple in form or another: doing it first is not as important as doing it right.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Does there device add value to the television experience? If so, then sure. If not, then like all things that have usually comes before Apple in form or another: doing it first is not as important as doing it right.

Good retort but I was being facetious.
  • Reply 40 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Reread timmilea's first paragraph; it's borderline-hieroglyphic, IMO. And, I do not agree that generally two people do not understand each other. Generally speaking, people do tend understand each other.

Oh, I'm with you, I think most people understand each other just fine. I just think it's ironic that Tallest didn't just tell him he's wrong, he implied he didn't understand him, which lends some support to the very statement that Tallest was disagreeing with.