Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70

I hope it stays the same because it's rightly so. So sick of the so called ipad killers. I have a nexus 7 and it freaking sucks. I have a video on my youtube channel showing how laggy it is just to scroll between the apps. Saving and waiting for the ipad mini retina display.

• Reply 42 of 70
    Now that the iPad mini is available, it will likely reverse the trend. On a recent flight I was interested to see more minis than small Android devices. The large iPad was still dominate, and no one had a large Android device. Once the retina mini is introduced at $329 and the original mini drops in price (probably in the $259 to $279 range), it will be even more dominate. Combining that with a new lighter and thinner iPad 5, I can see Apple's tablet share rising.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I don't think it has a bearing on global traffic. Consider just one major source of bias. Apple has its own iAds program which only works on iOS devices. Since iAds is only on one platform, if it captures any share at all, it reduces the number of ad impressions on the other ad networks Chikita, Google, etc).

Good thought in general, JR, but in this case they're totally different usage scenarios:

iAds is only for apps.  Chitika is only for websites.   One does not affect impressions of the other.

• Reply 44 of 70
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Coworker bought a Kindle Fire for his wife and she doesn't use it.

I bought an Archos tablet and used it for awhile, but it was pretty crappy. This was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Another coworker uses his Kindle Fire for consumption.

My Archos went in a closet and I got an iPad (refurbished). Then the Archos battery bloated and destroy the Archos. The Archos was okay for reading. There were very few apps useful on it. I could not access the Google store. The screen was like reading on an old paperback. 

• Reply 45 of 70
    kdarling wrote: »
    Even families with Android based readers often also have an iPad.   And the cheaper Android tablets are often given to children, who use them for games, or video viewing, not web surfing.

You know this how? Care to provide a cite? Or are you simply making stuff up based on anecdotal evidence?
  • Reply 46 of 70
    quest01 wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one typing this on a Nexus 7 haha! This really is no surprise, the iPad has been out for years now and the full sized iPad is the best full sized tablet out there. I've never used a Nexus 10 so I can't compare that to the current iPad. I'm looking forward to the rumored thinner and lighter iPad that's suppose to come out sometime this year. Also a retina quality iPad mini is promising too.

Hello?
  • Reply 47 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You know this how? Care to provide a cite? Or are you simply making stuff up based on anecdotal evidence?

Desperate to find things to argue about aren't you? I think there was even an article here at AI along those lines sometime back. Here's an older one to prove the comment wasn't simply made up.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2011/01/18/ipad-and-kindle-live-in-harmony/

The Kindle and iPad initially seemed to be similar devices, but after twelve months of usage, most have found they are very different. In fact the two devices are so contrasting that according to a JP Morgan survey, 40 percent of iPad owners also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.

• Reply 48 of 70
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Desperate to find things to argue about aren't you? I think there was even an article here at AI along those lines sometime back. Here's an older one to prove the comment wasn't simply made up.

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">The Kindle and iPad initially seemed to be similar devices, but after twelve months of usage, most have found they are very different. In fact the two devices are so contrasting that according to a JP Morgan survey</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">, 40 percent of iPad owners</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;"> also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.</span>

Data from nine months after the release of the iPad? From Technobuffalo? What's that, your cousin's blog? How desperate are you Androiders for some -- any -- tablet legitimacy? ROTFLMAO.
  • Reply 49 of 70

Quote:

Data from nine months after the release of the iPad? From Technobuffalo? What's that, your cousin's blog? How desperate are you Androiders for some -- any -- tablet legitimacy? ROTFLMAO.

You implied that any suggestion that iPad owners might also have a Kindle were made up. Obviously it wasn't. 

• Reply 50 of 70

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">The Kindle and iPad initially seemed to be similar devices, but after twelve months of usage, most have found they are very different. In fact the two devices are so contrasting that according to a JP Morgan survey</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">, 40 percent of iPad owners</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;"> also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.</span>

The kindle mentioned in your cite is not the tablet fire version as it was not even released yet. Are you saying e-readers like the mentioned amazon e-ink are/should be included in results?

As I said in previous thread, there has not been any indication of Android tablets being used only as e-readers which is what kdarling keeps suggesting but without real evidence, only anecdotal. Evidence suggest more the difference in sales compared to iPad.

In fact there has been plenty evidence users are not purchasing content. So where do people access all the content to put into their android 'e-readers'? My own 'anecdotal' evidence suggests they pirate them.
  • Reply 51 of 70
    You implied that any suggestion that iPad owners might also have a Kindle were made up. Obviously it wasn't. 

Your 'evidence' to back it up certainly look made up. And irrelevant.

Look, I can totally understand you people wanting to gain some legitimacy and traction for your tablets. It may be happening, for all we know. But I have not seen it in any credible data, nor have you. Give it up, for now. Come back when you have actual data. (Of course, if companies like Samsung put out shipments/channel numbers, we'll know. But they don't, do they? As a result, their minions have to get on boards like these and dissemble or obfuscate).
  • Reply 52 of 70

Quote:

Your 'evidence' to back it up certainly look made up. And irrelevant.

Look, I can totally understand you people wanting to gain some legitimacy and traction for your tablets. It may be happening, for all we know. But I have not seen it in any credible data, nor have you. Give it up, for now. Come back when you have actual data. (Of course, if companies like Samsung put out shipments/channel numbers, we'll know. But they don't, do they? As a result, their minions have to get on boards like these and dissemble or obfuscate).

The only thing I was showing you was that his mention about dual-ownership didn't spring from from thin air. No more than that. I certainly wasn't trying to convince you of anything that goes against what you want to believe. That would be demonstrate-ably useless.

• Reply 53 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The only thing I was showing you was that his mention about dual-ownership didn't spring from from thin air. No more than that. I certainly wasn't trying to convince you of anything that goes against what you want to believe. That would be demonstrate-ably useless.

I would actually appreciate it if you didn't bother to "show me" anything at all, since most of what you post here is vacuous, anti-Apple, pro-Samsung/Android stuff (mostly in a passive-aggressive way). Your posting behavior is well-known to the Forum regulars.

I would especially appreciate it if you didn't jump in when the question wasn't even originally posed to you (it was to kdarling, but you came along and sidetracked it): I am sure that others -- if they have a point, or can back up what they assert -- can stand up for themselves without your 'help.'

• Reply 54 of 70

I thought you might honestly be curious if there was any cited support for what he said, but that's plainly not what you were trying to accomplish. Thanks for clarifying that you really hoped it was a "gotcha" for the OP so you could perhaps use that to raise doubts about everything else he posts.

I'll agree with you that he seems perfectly capable of supporting his arguments and doesn't need anyone's help.

As we were. . .

• Reply 55 of 70

Quote:

Data from nine months after the release of the iPad? From Technobuffalo? What's that, your cousin's blog? 

If you read his link, you'd see that the survey quoted in that article was from JP Morgan.

--

In every forum, there are posters who make a genuine effort to do research on their own, and contribute to the group's knowledge and opinions.  

Then there are those who are lazy... who do nothing but snipe at others' comments.  

Each person's post history speaks for itself.

• Reply 56 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought you might honestly be curious if there was any cited support for what he said, but that's plainly not what you were trying to accomplish. .....

Yeah, I am honestly curious for honest, credible, useful cited support. If you have it, let me know.

• Reply 57 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

If you read his link, you'd see that the survey quoted in that article was from JP Morgan.

--

In every forum, there are posters who make a genuine effort to do research on their own, and contribute to the group's knowledge and opinions.  

Then there are those who are lazy... who do nothing but snipe at others' comments.  

You seriously believe that data from nine months after the actual release of of the iPad -- and as someone else pointed out, when non-iPad tablets were barely in existence -- is even marginally useful for an assertion you're making in February 2013!?

Please be honest: is Gatorguy's cite the one you had in mind when you asserted what you did? Or is it you being lazy, simply piggybacking on someone else's vacuous post?

If you have credible evidence, I'd be happy to change my mind. Otherwise, please move along.

(Edited typos)

• Reply 58 of 70
    kdarling wrote: »

--

In every forum, t<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">here are posters who make a genuine effort to do research on their own, and contribute to the group's knowledge and opinions.  </span>

<span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Then there are those who are lazy... who do nothing but snipe at others' comments.  </span>

Does pulling any link instantly make the statement a fact?

I have explained the link to be unrelated.
    Do you believe it to be related?
  • Reply 59 of 70
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;"> also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.</span>

Which Kindle though? It's probably the eInk version which even Gruber prefers to read on.
  • Reply 60 of 70

Quote:

Yeah, I am honestly curious for honest, credible, useful cited support. If you have it, let me know.

Excellent.  It's sometimes hard to tell what someone's motive is.

As for me, I have no dog in this fight.  Too old to care who sells more.  I'm simply as curious as anyone else to figure out why there's such an unexplained discrepancy in supposed sales vs. supposed usage.  It might help me in the future when choosing application devices.

What I do know, is that the simplest explanation is almost always correct.  Our problem in this thread is figuring out what's the simplest explanation image

As for where I read about ownership and usage, I cannot recall exactly.  Every day I read USA, CNN, WSJ, NYT, all sorts of tech reports, and some not so well known mobile sources like the Pew Project.

I apologize for not having the time right now to go look it all up again;  usually I'm able.  Right now, I'm in the middle of a giant tablet deployment, and am overburdened and a bit stressed. 

So feel free in this case to reject my comment if you wish... even though I'm sure we both could find recent references for Americans owning multiple types of tablets and why.  IIRC, the specific article I was thinking of, stuck with me because it pointed out that the user percentages totaled over 100% ... because of people owning both an iPad and an Android reader.

If I find some time in the next few days, I'll go look again.   Thanks for your patience.