Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fillie View Post

Does pulling any link instantly make the statement a fact?

I have explained the link to be unrelated.

Do you believe it to be related?

Of course not. Anantksundaram wanted to know if it KDarling's comment about some people owning a tablet from both Apple and someone else was made up. I found information that would indicate his comment was not simply pulled from thin air and I thought that was all he was wondering. He's now decided that's not the case. It's no biggie.

The link I offered obviously doesn't serve as proof of anything other than there was some basis for the original comment. That's as much proof (or more) as most posters here have for many of their comments.

Now on a slightly related note would you or he believe me if I said 1 of every 6 pc's sold last quarter was an iPad? Of course you would and probably not even demand a citation for it.

• Reply 62 of 70
    kdarling wrote: »
    Excellent.  It's sometimes hard to tell what someone's motive is.

As for me, I have no dog in this fight.  Too old to care who sells more.  ......

...I apologize for not having the time right now to go look it all up ......Thanks for your patience. 

Yeah, sure. No dog. Too old to care. That's why you attack people who ask you to back up an assertion by calling them 'lazy' and 'sniping.' /s

I'll patiently await your answer. (Just know that, if you don't provide it within a few days, I'll remind you, even if it is in another thread).
  • Reply 63 of 70
    gatorguy wrote: »
    He's now decided that's not the case. It's no biggie.

Who's the 'he' to whom you're referring?
  • Reply 64 of 70
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sure. No dog. Too old to care. That's why you attack people who ask you to back up an assertion by calling them 'lazy' and 'sniping.' /s

I got that impression from a lack of any posts that include your own opposing references, the way you've called various people a "paid shill", and how you often lump anyone with opposing views into some mysterious "Androider" group.   If that wasn't actually you, I apologize.

Quote:

I'll patiently await your answer. (Just know that, if you don't provide it within a few days, I'll remind you, even if it is in another thread).

Fair enough.

• Reply 65 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Now on a slightly related note would you or he believe me if I said 1 of every 6 pc's sold last quarter was an iPad? Of course you would and probably not even demand a citation for it.

Two hours later and still no request for a citation. . . Of course not.

• Reply 66 of 70

Apple did the right thing putting the boot into Android tablets with the iPad 4 refresh and the Mini.

It's a shame they weren't as proactive with the iPhone.

Hopefully the iPhone 5 gets a bigger sibbling.  And a cheaper 'for teens, kids and skinflints' version ala plastic.

Job done.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 67 of 70
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've no idea what you're taking issue with. You've way over-exaggerated Android's installed base compared to iOS haven't you? 

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201201-201301

I really hope you are not offering the statcounter link as evidence of installed base. Are you?

I am not exaggerating anything, just making an educated guess. I specifically mentioned iPhone vs Android (phone) installed base. Between IDC and  Gartner, the figures show that, in the last two years, Android powered phones have outsold iPhone by 3 to 1. Over the last 4 years that figure drops down to around 2.5 to 1 in favour of Android. I think it's a fairly safe bet that the ratio of Android phones to iPhones lies somewhere between those two figures... and is, obviously, growing.

Web usage stats don't seem to reflect that disparity. So either the sales figures are wrong (which I don't believe) or the iPhone appears to be a "higher utilized device" 

It's you, Gator, that has an issue with that fact.

Quote:

By the way I didn't recall correctly when I thought I remembered iOS share going down.

And I never mentioned it. So?

• Reply 68 of 70
    Of course not. Anantksundaram wanted to know if it KDarling's comment about some people owning a tablet from both Apple and someone else was made up. I found information that would indicate his comment was not simply pulled from thin air and I thought that was all he was wondering. He's now decided that's not the case. It's no biggie.

The link I offered obviously doesn't serve as proof of anything other than there was some basis for the original comment. That's as much proof (or more) as most posters here have for many of their comments.

Interesting...and I thought your reading and understanding was good.

So an old kindle e reader has an affect on current tablet trends/usage?

Maybe you could not find anything closer and this was the best you can find and decide to mask the fact it is not the same thing and the tablet kindle fire variant was not released till much later at the end of 2011.

Lets refer back the article:
    Amazon's Kindle Fire ? and, to a lesser extent, Android tablets ? saw continued usage share growth after the holidays, according to a new report...
    Mmm kindle fire
    kdarling wrote: »
    Still, it's no surprise that in Chitika's home area of North America, the iPad sees more of their ads. Even families with Android based readers often also have an iPad

So it's android based readers? Does the kindle e inks count?
    What study shows those family's have both android tablets and iPad and only use android tabs as e readers only? Oh yes, anecdotal evidence!
    You know this how? Care to provide a cite? Or are you simply making stuff up based on anecdotal evidence?

Followed by:
    Desperate to find things to argue about aren't you? I think there was even an article here at AI along those lines sometime back. Here's an older one to prove the comment wasn't simply made up.
    http://www.technobuffalo.com/2011/01/18/ipad-and-kindle-live-in-harmony/

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">The Kindle and iPad initially seemed to be similar devices, but after twelve months of usage, most have found they are very different. In fact the two devices are so contrasting that according to a JP Morgan survey</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;">, 40 percent of iPad owners</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:15px;line-height:24px;"> also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.</span>

So amazon kindles are all android tablets?

Omg! That means android predates iPad by 3years! /s

----
    Two hours later and still no request for a citation. . . Of course not.

Wow, I must have hit a nerve somewhere? Guess some hate to admit wrong...

You know I'm in a totally different time zone and I actually do other things than glue to forums looking to rebut those who spend all their time spreading anecdotes as facts.

There are plenty here who are extremely knowledgeable and I learn a lot from them.

As for your last comment:

Sounds like another baseless anecdote yet again. So you think i would not need to see evidence because its apple and im some 'fanboy' in your eyes.

Using your own words you are the same in believing what kdarling said as fact and you try to back up his claim using an unrelated link. Good job!

To answer your baseless question - no, I would like to see a cite regardless of what is being claimed.

IMO iPads are not, and should not be, included compared to pcs. The usage is too different and any statistic counting iPads as pc are not fair comparisons.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    Oh and gatorguy, I expect a rebuttal within 2 hours or I will get snarky also :)
  • Reply 70 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fillie View Post

As for your last comment:

Sounds like another baseless anecdote yet again. So you think i would not need to see evidence because its apple and im some 'fanboy' in your eyes.

To answer your baseless question - no, I would like to see a cite regardless of what is being claimed.

IMO iPads are not, and should not be, included compared to pcs. The usage is too different and any statistic counting iPads as pc are not fair comparisons.

Then here you go. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/06/apple-grabs-more-than-20-of-global-pc-market-in-q4-2012

Apple's share of worldwide PC shipments surpassed 20 percent for the first time ever during the last quarter of 2012, one research firm reported on Wednesday, with the iPad accounting for one in every six shipped computers.

Pheww... just under the wire, 7 minutes to spare

BTW Fillie, if you thought I was being "snarky" with you, I really wasn't. You were just in the crossfire. Unlike the other poster I thought your comments were generally respectful.