Wozniak: Apple now 'somewhat behind' in smartphone features

Comments

• Reply 81 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Why is he always barking ? If he is great enough , he would have been the second Steve jobs .

Your user name is quite appropriate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

Behind in "some features"? It would be helpful to say which features. Without specifics it just sounds like empty complaints.

Two reasons: One, most people already know what features are missing and two, knowing he's likely to be he doesn't want to sound as if he's piling on. The man still loves Apple but it's a rational love unlike some around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Can someone explain, exactly, how iOS is behind Android?

Or is it "sales?" If Apple gave away phones, they'd have a perfect market share too. Otherwise, I just don't see it. Am I missing something?

He didn't specify iOS. I think most would agree that iOS is still far ahead of Android but not so much in the hardware realm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

I just don't understand why thinks his opinion matters? He's been out of the company for YEARS. Let it go! haha

Oh, gee...maybe because he's the co-founder of Apple?  I'd say his opinion matters much more than yours or mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The next time we want your opinion Mr. Wozniak, we'll give it to you.

I want his opinion and so do most rational Apple lovers. Besides, his statement is very valid and he's not the only one to say it. Look at the latest Galaxy's...I find myself wanting to pick them up and look at their screens.  That didn't start happening until the past year or so.  They've caught up in some respects.  My hope is that Apple is not filled with employees who frequent this forum because the majority here seem to be unable to admit any deficiency on Apple's part or admit any successes from the competition. Hopefully, Apple is filled with employees who want to tackle the challenge of making the next iPhone far surpass anything Samsung has put out.

^

This!

• Reply 82 of 179
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Once iOS has widgets and NFC I think you'll agree with me.

Malware is a non-issue.

Scrolling and general smoothness is still better on iOS, but that's not what I would call a feature.

Get a Nexus, get updates.

Tablet apps are still lacking on Android.

I've never resold a phone.

Without Apple blessing NFC on Android phones is useless. 

• Reply 83 of 179
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

The defensiveness of some folks here makes one wonder if you care about objectivity at all.

A man who founded the company and who still stands inline for every iPhone is saying Apple is falling behind. Your first reaction is to attack him? He may not be active at Apple anymore. But without Woz, there would NEVER have been Apple. This notion that Android is crap software and Samsung makes crap hardware is pure hubris or ignorance. 

• Reply 84 of 179
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

Please. Widgets? NFC? USB?

How about malware, Flaky scrolling(still!),  Poor updates, Ability to get first class apps first, Phone-stretched out apps on tablets, Poorer resale value, etc

The biggest 'behind' of Android smartphones is they are battery hogs compared to iPhones. 

• Reply 85 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The defensiveness of some folks here makes one wonder if you care about objectivity at all.

A man who founded the company and who still stands inline for every iPhone is saying Apple is falling behind. Your first reaction is to attack him? He may not be active at Apple anymore. But without Woz, there would NEVER have been Apple. This notion that Android is crap software and Samsung makes crap hardware is pure hubris or ignorance. 

You're on the wrong site if you want objectivity.  The only truly objective people here either get mocked or banned.  

• Reply 86 of 179
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Seriously?  What the **** is wrong with people nowadays?  The *FOUNDER* of Apple cannot have a different opinion from you?  Or say anything that is even slightly critical?

Seriously, what the F**K is wrong with people nowadays?

An opinion expressed in public cannot be criticised now, no matter who expresses that opinion whether "FOUNDER" or "FLOUNDER"?

Ever heard of the first amendment, I'm Australian and even I know what it implies.

• Reply 87 of 179
    More features does not make a phone better. iOS devices are used far more often than android devices simply because they are easy to use, and have most features that most people want. Android has too many features, too many distractions to the user interface, is not user friendly, and is suffering from fragmentation.

Android appeals to high tech power users, iOS appeals to "normal" people, who far outnumber the techies. Woz is a hybrid -- a power user who has some appreciation for user interface but really likes features too. His opinion does not speak for the masses.

NFC will not be mainstream until Apple supports it. Do we need more locking options? Who says android has better maps? Google Maps is available on both. Widgets? Isn't that what an app is supposed to be in the first place? Sorry, but the only "feature" I might want is a bigger screen, but I sure love using my iPhone 5 with one hand. I'll stick with a better overall user experience and better apps.
  • Reply 88 of 179
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [quote name="stelligent" url="/t/155859/wozniak-apple-now-somewhat-behind-in-smartphone-features/80#post_2273124"]He may not be active at Apple anymore. But without Woz, there would NEVER have been Apple.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of relevance why does that mean what he says about Apple is correct? Why does that mean what he said should be lauded as gospel? He's certainly entitled to his opinion and I'm sure he has plenty that I would wholeheartedly agree with but that doesn't mean he's an authority on all things tech who's words are canonized simply because he started Apple. If Hugh Hefner says a blonde with huge fake tits is most beautiful woman in the world are you going to agree because he started Playboy? I'm not.
  • Reply 89 of 179
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member

Woz is a tech guru, the epitome of nerd. he's interested in megabells and gigwhistles.

it doesn't matter if there's no practical use for a technology yet, this guy want to see it included just because it can be.

it's not a bad thing, it's just not usually a practical thing:

Inductive charging would be great if every nightstand and dashboard had a charger embedded, but they don't. you still need to plug in a power cord to a pad that sits on your desk/table/dashboard. NFC is only useful to me in one place: my 10 year old mobil speedpass.

• Reply 90 of 179
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Why can't I share something from my gallery directly to Instagram?

Say what?

Ignorance is bliss.

• Reply 91 of 179
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Saying that the iPhone is "behind on features" plays right into the hands of the mindless advertising drones, who bend over backwards to sell the inane idea that more features make a better product. The Woz should stick to something he's actually good at, like counting his money.
  • Reply 92 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Say what?

Ignorance is bliss.

Was that directed at Soli?image

• Reply 93 of 179
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    scotty321 wrote:
    "Don't listen to Woz, he's crazy." (Fast forward to 2:01 in the video below.)

Funny video. I'd say Woz goes too far though. He says he's still employed at Apple too; time for a firing maybe:

"Mr. Wozniak, it's really that you are still employed at Apple?
    Oh yes. The reward is rather small. It is a kind of symbolic ties. I am proud to be the only person to who has worked continuously since the first day for Apple.

What are you working now?
    Currently, I travel around the world and give lectures about my experience as Apple founder, entrepreneur and engineer. I really enjoy it because I meet so many people. Also, I'm chief scientist at Fusion-io. The company has developed a technology that allows data centers to be faster and more effective. It will change the Internet.

Apple has in the past decade, risen with its iPod, iPhone and iPad as one of the most successful companies in history. Recently, there are increasing doubts about how long the winning streak is still continuing.
    Apple has such high profit margins, also due to its brand. I am proud that we have such loyal fans. But this loyalty is not given, it still need the best products. Currently we are in my opinion in the smartphone business with the features somewhat behind. Others have caught up. Samsung is a great competitor. But precisely because they are currently making great products."

Nice how he ties himself with the company to claim a share of their achievements but is happy to drag them through the mud otherwise. I thought better of Woz in the past but talking about Steve Jobs reincarnated at Microsoft and promoting a plagiarising company like Samsung as an innovator, that's really too much. I don't know what he plans to achieve by it but it just seems like a really evil thing to do knowing full well how close he is to the company.

To suggest Apple's high profits are based around the brand when so many people hate the brand and to claim loyal fans when Apple has sold over 500 million devices in just 5.5 years - not much time for loyalty - is just being insulting instead of objective.

I have no problem with him preferring competing products but to criticise Apple this way without expanding on what he's saying while projecting himself as Apple's top employee - in effect apologizing on their behalf for not doing a good enough job - that's just low. It's high time he takes his scooter and fat ass to another part of town and stops telling the most successful company in the world (reached entirely without him as he had no part of NeXT and started from the verge of bankruptcy) how to go about their business.
  • Reply 94 of 179

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Also, I'm chief scientist at Fusion-io. The company has developed a technology that allows data centers to be faster and more effective. It will change the Internet.

This is the most important thing he's doing right now, if he's really doing it. It's something where I think Old Woz could really shine through. The man that came up with the Apple II when the world was flipping switches has my respect when he's back in his element, doing something radical. 

The other stuff? Not so much at all. That's riding the wave, not making them.

Samsung is a great competitor. But precisely because they are currently making great products.

Hasn't been paying much attention to the recent lawsuits, has he? image Though I guess I'm not surprised by his take, even if he has been. He wanted to give away the plans for the Apple II, remember!

I have no problem with him preferring competing products but to criticise Apple this way without expanding on what he's saying while projecting himself as Apple's top employee - in effect apologizing on their behalf for not doing a good enough job - that's just low. It's high time he takes his scooter and fat ass to another part of town and stops telling the most successful company in the world (reached entirely without him as he had no part of NeXT and started from the verge of bankruptcy) how to go about their business.

Hear hear.

• Reply 95 of 179
    usafusaf Posts: 1member
    Woz is an interesting character
  • Reply 96 of 179
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Can someone shut Woz the **** up? Out of respect for his diseased friend SJ, and in his stature as Apple co-founder, he could have the class and decency to stop bashing Apple every chance he gets. He knows the media/blogs will jump to splash his quotes everywhere. The guy has shown himself to be utterly without vision at every opportunity, and at this point his opinions couldn't be less relevant.  He's shown himself to shill for every short lived gimmick in the past few years, and literally gets excited for every non-Apple product, and uses said product to bash Apple's innovation. he's clueless as to what makes for good long term decisions. Just look at the history of the products he's complimented in the past- most have turned out to be miserable failures and have crashed and burned. 

The iPhone didn't succeed because it had more "features' than other smartphones- it actually had less. This guy must be a thorn in Apple's side, all he ever does is whip up negative media attention towards the company. What has he contributed the past couple decades to the tech industry? Absolutely Nothing. Not sure why everyone is so infatuated with his "lovable" nature, he's shown himself to be a narcissist at every opportunity. And Apple is still paying him for stuff? What an irresponsible twat. I can just see Samsung using his quote shilling for them in their next commercial. 

• Reply 97 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Speaking of relevance why does that mean what he says about Apple is correct? Why does that mean what he said should be lauded as gospel? He's certainly entitled to his opinion and I'm sure he has plenty that I would wholeheartedly agree with but that doesn't mean he's an authority on all things tech who's words are canonized simply because he started Apple. If Hugh Hefner says a blonde with huge fake tits is most beautiful woman in the world are you going to agree because he started Playboy? I'm not.

I agree he is not the singer of all that is gospel. 100%. I just don't like him being attacked by some folks here.

More relevantly, is it even possible to be wrong to say that Apple is behind on some features? You can argue the significance of some features but you can't argue that Apple is first to market or most advanced on every front?

• Reply 98 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Can someone shut Woz the **** up? Out of respect for his diseased friend SJ, and in his stature as Apple co-founder, he could have the class and decency to stop bashing Apple every chance he gets. He knows the media/blogs will jump to splash his quotes everywhere. The guy has shown himself to be utterly without vision at every opportunity, and at this point his opinions couldn't be less relevant.  He's shown himself to shill for every short lived gimmick in the past few years, and literally gets excited for every non-Apple product, and uses said product to bash Apple's innovation.  This guy must be a thorn in Apple's side, all he ever does is whip up negative media attention towards the company. What has he contributed the past couple decades to the tech industry? Absolutely Nothing.

Bashing? This is bashing? Aren't we sensitive?

• Reply 99 of 179

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansky View Post

Saying that the iPhone is "behind on features" plays right into the hands of the mindless advertising drones, who bend over backwards to sell the inane idea that more features make a better product. The Woz should stick to something he's actually good at, like counting his money.

And how are you qualified to judge him? What field are you a pioneer in?

• Reply 100 of 179
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Seriously, what the F**K is wrong with people nowadays?

An opinion expressed in public cannot be criticised now, no matter who expresses that opinion whether "FOUNDER" or "FLOUNDER"?

Ever heard of the first amendment, I'm Australian and even I know what it implies.

Personally I find it highly entertaining when obsessed Apple fanatics go off on a rant about Woz whenever he dares suggest a gadget lacking that sacred Apple logo might be half-decent, or slightly better in some way.

I'm always fascinated by what Woz has to say. He's usually got interesting and unexpected opinions about the industry and the direction things are moving in. He still loves Apple products but he's not a pure partisan like John Gruber or the even more hopelessly biased Jim Dalrymple. Woz just loves great technology regardless of the name on the packaging. I think that makes him worth reading or listening to when you get the opportunity.